Advice on where to have 05 Ford auto trans rebuilt

My stepson has an '05 Ford diesel and wants to send it somewhere to have the auto trans rebuilt. He lives in Helena MT. Are there any shops recommended either in Montana or western WA? Are there any tips or things to do with the rebuild? He has only slight power increase and pulls a 5th wheel. Thanks.

1 hour ago, SMOKN05 said:

My stepson has an '05 Ford diesel and wants to send it somewhere to have the auto trans rebuilt. He lives in Helena MT. Are there any shops recommended either in Montana or western WA? Are there any tips or things to do with the rebuild? He has only slight power increase and pulls a 5th wheel. Thanks.

Drunk monkey can rebuild a 5r110 (drunk monkey here 👋)

Find a local shop that is comfortable installing a suncoast rebuild kit and go for it. 

Category 0 will work fine. Cat 1 is what I rebuilt my 04 with. Used it as a yarder for cutting firewood. Sled pulling, drag racing, Smokey burnouts, towing heavy, etc. had 55k miles on my trans when I sold the truck. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, marksmith said:

Category 0 will work fine. Cat 1 is what I rebuilt my 04 with. Used it as a yarder for cutting firewood. Sled pulling, drag racing, Smokey burnouts, towing heavy, etc. had 55k miles on my trans when I sold the truck. 

Thanks. I passed along the info. He asked if he should get a torque converter also. He said he might think about the category 1 just for more durability. 

8 hours ago, rubystargoats said:

the current tranny is broken? Or he is just concerned?

No, I just think he wants to stay ahead of the game.

If it’s not acting up I personally wouldn’t mess with it. 

I tore mine up pulling trees up to the road in reverse. This puts all the stress on the direct clutches. 

By trees I’m talking full length standing dead Doug fir 30” on the butt. I’d have to make sure my pickup was half full or better of firewood to have enough weight to get it done. 

I have 110,000 miles of extreme street tune by Innovative Diesel, daily driving and towing 12 to 14 thousand pounds with the same program. easy 400 + HP at the rear wheels and no tranny issues. EGT issues yes and a replaced turbo control ring.but no tranny problems. The programing I have now  locks out OD and keeps the TC locked down to 35 mph if I am in Tow haul.