Dragged this home tonight as a project for the boys and I. She’s a 1974 Bayliner with a 40hp Johnson. The motor last ran about 10yrs ago and supposedly ran well. The transom is rotten and floor is soft but there’s not much to it and it’s all pretty easily accessible.

If I can get the motor running then we’ll put the effort into cutting the floor out and see what we’re up against with the stringers and transom. It will also need new control cables as well as lots of little things.

The outside is in remarkably decent shape, and it’s on an easy loader trailer. If it works out then it’ll be a boat we can fish out of around here when Loose Cruise is out of the water. I’d be able to turn my oldest boy loose in it during the summer as well.

If the motor is toast and the boat is too far gone then I’ll sell the motor for parts, drop the hull at the landfill and do something with the trailer. The price was right.

928ccd6251c72a9d7016710d6b8eb6cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The boy and I jumped the motor off the old Dodge and she cranked over just fine. Did a compression test and both holes were 115-120psi according to the quality harbor freight gauge.    The fuel

Bit of progress today. The boy and I cut the floor out. The plywood was completely soaked from front to back. The foam was saturated with water as well, we got most if that out today too. Drilled a f

Snipped a little piece out of the edge of the floor, looks like it’ll be pretty straight forward and clean to just cut into the void around the edge of the plywood and pull it out. Then grind it clean

Posted Images

It looks like it was kept in a plastic bubble!!! 

The trailer is not even rusted! Amazing!

What a cool project! I would put a 115 on it and have fun!!!!!! 

• Like 1

I rescued a couple of cute little Mutiny's.  They are fun boats!  I did the floors in the first one, it wasnt too bad.  The second one (Pictured) needed a new motor (AQ130 V/P).  The first one came with a locked up Merc that I got running but it needed too much to make it reliable, so I hung a 125hp Johnson looper on it and made it a speed demon.  They were both 17' Mutiny's.  They are great little boats!  Have fun!

HTC Phone 089.jpg

1 hour ago, stroketeck said:

that is a great project, i might have some parts kicking around for that engine

That’s good to know, I don’t know what parts availability is like for this motor. My plan is to hook it it up to some power, do a compression test, crank it, give it a squirt of fuel and see what happens. 

I see a bit of oil around the lower unit so it’ll at least get a prop seal and water pump, those should be easy enough to source. 

1 hour ago, Big Russ said:

I rescued a couple of cute little Mutiny's.  They are fun boats!  I did the floors in the first one, it wasnt too bad.  The second one (Pictured) needed a new motor (AQ130 V/P).  The first one came with a locked up Merc that I got running but it needed too much to make it reliable, so I hung a 125hp Johnson looper on it and made it a speed demon.  They were both 17' Mutiny's.  They are great little boats!  Have fun!

HTC Phone 089.jpg

This one is 15’. I found this cool little document, looks like this is likely a Mosquito. 
https://global.bayliner.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/1974-Spec-Sheets.pdf

Says it was rated for 85hp, new price was $1245 FOB Arlington, Wa. So this little 40hp is likely not original, I’ll have to try and figure out what year it is. 

I poked around at the floor and transom from the inside and it’s pretty much toast. The outside skin is solid though. I may try and do one of those pourable cast transoms if I get that far with it. This is new territory for me. 

If you want a hand with the repair day, I can come over. If you do wet layup for strength, it is nice to have extra hands prepping cloth, mixing resins etc. I use a rotary cutter and mat that are hand me downs from my wife's quilting operation. 

3 hours ago, Woodenhead said:

This one is 15’. I found this cool little document, looks like this is likely a Mosquito.

85hp??  😮

Sounds like FUN!  Not much bigger than a jetski

Here's the boat I did the floors and stringers on - and me about 60 pounds heavier.... I never did check the top speed on it - I'd guess around 45-50. 

IMG_0190.jpg

4 hours ago, skyking said:

I'd be tempted to keep that outer skin and build something behind it. You could do a wet layup of glass and polyester or epoxy.

That’s the plan. That something behind it might be poured in rather than plywood. We’ll see how it all cleans up when I tear it apart. 
thanks for offer on helping with the glass work. I’ll let you know how I’m feeling about the situation when I get to that point. I’m expecting the boy to have a significant roll in this...we’ll see. 

1 hour ago, Big Russ said:

Here's the boat I did the floors and stringers on - and me about 60 pounds heavier.... I never did check the top speed on it - I'd guess around 45-50. 

IMG_0190.jpg

That boats a beauty. Any photos of the restoration process? I need to do some research. Hopefully the stringers are sound. But if the transom and floor are toast I should probably expect the stringers are too. 

3 minutes ago, Woodenhead said:

That boats a beauty. Any photos of the restoration process? I need to do some research. Hopefully the stringers are sound. But if the transom and floor are toast I should probably expect the stringers are too. 

I'll have to look when I get home - I dont have them on Google Photos.  Here was the before picture

IMG_1303.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Big Russ said:

HTC Phone 089.jpg

My first boat was a Mutiny with a 85 Merc. Loved that little boat but the motor finally lost ignition and burnt some wires so I upgraded to the 2052.

• Like 1

I searched...  No pictures of the floor job...  I used regular plywood on it - after I had cut it to fit, I painted it with resin on the bottom side and edges.  I remember the stringers were 2X4's - I used pressure treated lumber there.  The rest was cloth and resin over the top and gluing down carpet.  I remember setting my skil saw a bit deep and cutting through the hull on the back side of a chine, but I filled it in with epoxy putty and no one noticed the difference.. :)

46 minutes ago, Big Russ said:

I searched...  No pictures of the floor job...  I used regular plywood on it - after I had cut it to fit, I painted it with resin on the bottom side and edges.  I remember the stringers were 2X4's - I used pressure treated lumber there.  The rest was cloth and resin over the top and gluing down carpet.  I remember setting my skil saw a bit deep and cutting through the hull on the back side of a chine, but I filled it in with epoxy putty and no one noticed the difference.. :)

I was figuring on using marine plywood for the floor but in reality in old boats like these anything you use will probably outlast the rest of the boat anyway. We’ll see what it looks like but maybe I can get away with using a product like SeaCast. 

Did you replace the floatation foam under the floor? 

9 minutes ago, Woodenhead said:

Did you replace the floatation foam under the floor? 

I was being cheap...  I filled it full of styrofoam sheet insulation and when I was done, I drilled holes in the floor and squirted spray foam underneath to fill the voids and then filled the holes back up with resin.  

Less that a year later I was divorced and I'm not sure how the boat did, she took it.  She kept it undercover, so it may have lasted quite awhile.  

23 minutes ago, Woodenhead said:

I’ve seen that somewhere before but I think it’s too far gone for that. 

A guy I used to work with cut the glass off the top of the transom and used a chainsaw to dig out all of the rotten wood - he said it worked well.  I think he remade the transom with some plywood and some sort of concrete or epoxy product.  

I dont have a lot of pictures of the interior but this is part of the floor I replaced showing the new seats, steering and guages.  

0611001419a.jpg

My bitchy ex on it's maiden voyage with the looper on Alder Lake

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k9pijREJwSTsLgpXA

LOL

• Haha 1
44 minutes ago, Woodenhead said:

I was figuring on using marine plywood

I'd heard that the only difference between marine and regular plywood, besides the price, was the glue.  That's why I opted to paint it on all sides with resin.

• Like 1

That's it. you can leave a chunk of marine ply in a bucket of water, and the wood might rot but the plys do not disbond first.

There is more to most marine ply though. It is rot resistant wood most often, and many more thinner plys for strength. You used to be able to source fir marine ply, but most of it is imported these days. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Big Russ said:

A guy I used to work with cut the glass off the top of the transom and used a chainsaw to dig out all of the rotten wood - he said it worked well.  I think he remade the transom with some plywood and some sort of concrete or epoxy product.  

I dont have a lot of pictures of the interior but this is part of the floor I replaced showing the new seats, steering and guages.  

0611001419a.jpg

My bitchy ex on it's maiden voyage with the looper on Alder Lake

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k9pijREJwSTsLgpXA

LOL

I’m thinking the floor in this thing will get rolled with bed liner material or some sort of epoxy so it can get hosed out easily. 

Well I dragged Lake Fever home from where I stashed it at my buddys place in Coulee City. I think I broke at least 4 laws in the process but we made it with no flat tires, no burned out wheel bearing and no cops.

Tore out the vinyl interior and seats to get a better look at the situation. The floor is only soft towards the back but I suspect the floatation foam under the floor is all soaked so I’ll plan to tear it all out anyway.
09fc6ea04c1e3eb031f8db9ad1173b94.jpg
560cd579d6284b98154872579f89be95.jpg

Put some power to the battery cables with my roll around charger/booster. I was pleasantly surprised to see the starter motor spins with the ignition key, even the electric choke works. The bushings in the starter sound pretty dry and I don’t think I had enough juice to get spin it up fast enough to engage the pinion. I’ll deal with all that next week and see how it goes from there.

62ab83dce147b3ff47584f86bc1a5851.jpg

The coils are a bit crusty.
6db99df225f82faf4f72f02b187dc309.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1