A tale of two trucks

I don't post a whole lot and I took a hiatus from diesel trucks after my 98 12V emptied my bank account with few smiles in between.  However, recent events are a story worth telling.

Due to a lot of factors, one being some family issues, we made the decision to move to Utah.  It was a quick decision and things started to move fast.  We started house shopping and found one almost right away.  30 days later we owned it and the move was on.  I bought a 24 foot cargo trailer and we started packing and stuffing.  I really wanted to upgrade my truck because I was only driving a half ton.  But, there were two problems.  I loved my truck.  I don't get attached to stuff much, but I really enjoyed my 2019 Ram 1500 and a lot of it had to do with the color.  I always wanted an orange truck.  I was really worried about the weight I would be hauling because it included transporting my jeeps over including household goods.  My off road jeep weighs in at 6000 itself.  

Jeep 3.jpg

I tried all sorts of angles to come up with a heavy duty option for towing.  Looked at several used trucks but all fell far short of something I would want to log 10K miles towing in short order.  So, I did some research and decided I would just rent a truck for each trip.  Cost, about $800 per trip.  Time was short so this had to be the solution.  Right up until I went to book my first rental.  Two weeks prior when I had checked, this looked to be a viable option.  When I called, all pickups were booked for the remainder of the summer.  Didnt matter who I called.  Looked into going with a uhaul, but then the price went up to $1700 per trip.  So, that was that.  I ordered some air bags for the rear of the 1500, a weight distribution hitch and it was on.  Trip #1 was 15 hours of white knuckle driving.  About 850 miles one way.  I will say this, the 5.7 hemi with the 8 speed transmission was impressive.  Power was not a problem.  If I wanted to stay at 60mph, I got between 9.5 and 11 mpg towing.  Highest CGVW was about 18,750.  Trip #2 about the same.  If I didnt stay on top of it every second things would go to crap fast.  Trip #3 I upgraded the tires to XL tires.  Never heard of them before, but they are an extra load passenger tire.  My favorite brand is cooper so I went to discount tire and got hooked up.  The change was dramatic.  The tires were smoother than the goodyears that came off, but made for an "almost" acceptable trailer towing experience.  Money well spent.  

Truck1.jpeg

So, on the return of trip 3, I hit a wind storm coming back.  The cargo trailer empty is just a big sail and it was having its way with the truck.  Mileage coming back through Yakima and to Ellensburg dropped to 7.8 with the intense winds and I coasted into Ellensburg on fumes.  So, when I got back to WA I started the truck search again.  My Dad was going to sell me his 3500 12V, but then the trans went out.  I started looking at used trucks again and just couldnt handle the insane prices that these things were being listed at.  The prices were so high, it pushed me back to the new lots.  So, I had a rager of a debate going on in my head.  Gas or Diesel.  I was fond of my hemi's, and starting in 2019 you could get the 8 speed behind the 6.4.  Sounded near perfect.  But, once again, the price.  I didnt want to get rid of my orange 1500.  I was really attached.  And the trade in offers were laughable.  And I was still struggling.  I really wanted to go Diesel again.  I wanted the grunt of the diesel and frankly, the exhaust brake ended up being the deciding factor.  As I continued to struggle with the search, I found a 2018 Cummins which was exactly what I wanted.  And it was from a private party with a really good price.  I tore out the door.  The price ended up reflecting a few "oops" moments the guy had which produced some dents on the truck, but not bad.  Plus, the price was right enough I could keep my orange truck as well.  So I made the guy an offer.....   I was ready to buy on the spot.  Instead of doing a counter offer, the guy says he wants to sleep on it.  I found this to be a little odd, and I figured he just wanted to try for a better offer, so I left.  He said, "call me tomorrow".  The next day I called in the early afternoon.   He starts hehawing around and says, well, I will sell to the highest offer.  After some really weird conversation I asked, hey, if I just pay your price would we have a deal....  He starts hehawing again so I just hung up.  Ends up he called me the next day trying to get serious but I had already made up my mind.

I decided that new it would be.  Price was still a limiting factor, but I found that some dealers were getting creative with the Tradesman trucks and putting some options on them.  Ends up that Enumclaw CDJ must have been looking in my head, because they had exactly what I was after.  So, one of my big concerns was break in.  I was leaving the next weekend with my next load to Utah and didnt have much time.  So, I figured it would be days working, nights rounding Portland until I got enough miles to start towing.  But.......  Low and behold, the truck that had all I wanted.....  Had 788 miles on it when I started it up.  I couldnt believe it.  It had been used by a manager.  It solved my problem nicely as far as break in and also came in handy for a pretty good price discount.  

I had resigned myself that as much as I didnt want to get rid of the orange hemi, two trucks was too much.  The Enumclaw dealership also got real on the trade in value as well.  And they sold my orange truck in less than a week.  So, I ended up with a 2020 Tradesman Cummins 4x4 crew with some extra goodies.  Trip #4 to Utah grossed out at 19,150 pounds and it was two finger driving the entire way.  

Truck 2.jpeg

Edited by Suprmn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What part of Utah did you end up in? 
nice looking setup it’s funny I loaned my 10 to a buddy who is die hard manual guy has 97 12v dually after towing with mine he now hates his lol. 
these 4th gen trucks are sure nice with a load. 

33 minutes ago, yogi_160 said:

What part of Utah did you end up in? 
nice looking setup it’s funny I loaned my 10 to a buddy who is die hard manual guy has 97 12v dually after towing with mine he now hates his lol. 
these 4th gen trucks are sure nice with a load. 

I know where Layton is I’m 20 miles west of airport off I-80 grew up in salt lake valley did 6 years in Caldwell Idaho other than that Utah guy

6 minutes ago, yogi_160 said:

I know where Layton is I’m 20 miles west of airport off I-80 grew up in salt lake valley did 6 years in Caldwell Idaho other than that Utah guy

Thats awesome.  Once the mayhem dies down a bit we should meet up.

Congratulations on your new truck! Sounds like it will fit the bill for you quite nicely!

Good looking rig ,Congratulations..  another member has one just like it .. Wes  has the same right to the color also. 

His was so nice when I blew the engine on mine I started looking for a Crew cab also. So nice to drive a “modern truck” very happy with mine also. What a difference in ride and all the do dads make it a pleasurable ride !!!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, GTroyer said:

Good looking rig ,Congratulations..  another member has one just like it .. ...What a difference in ride and all the do dads make it a pleasurable ride !!!

As one gains more experience in this thing called life,😁 creature comforts become much more important for long hauls towing heavy.😇

Congrat's , you do know the Diesel truck are available in Orange? I saw one in Moses Lake the other day. 

Let your search begin.... 😂

5 hours ago, C Paul Go said:

Congrat's , you do know the Diesel truck are available in Orange? I saw one in Moses Lake the other day. 

Let your search begin.... 😂

Funny thing is that I had my eye on an orange 2018 2500 cummins at a dealers lot.  When I was coming back and decided that I was doing some sort of truck upgrade I had intended on getting that one, but it had sold.  Good thing really because I got my 2020 for $3K more than they wanted for the 2018.

• Like 1

So, to continue the story and some interesting observations.  My cargo trailer is literally a brick.  I am aware of wind resistance but I had never had pure proof of how it plays out.  With both trucks, tow at 60mph and mileage wasnt too bad.  A little over 11mpg out of the hemi and a solid 14 out of the cummins.  Increase to 65 mpg, and the hemi dropped into the low 10's, the cummins went down to 12.9.  Hit a windstorm and try to keep anything 60 plus, the hemi went to 7.8.  I was coming back from Utah with the cummins when this last storm hit.  I tried to run at about 61mph but I was battling major winds for 800 miles.  The cummins mileage dropped to 9.7mpg at its worst which was from La Grande, OR up to the WA/OR border.  By the time I got to the turn off to 82 towards Richland, there were periods of near zero visibility and then they closed 82 because of the fire.  I headed towards Portland and stopped in some little town to fuel up.  There was more than a 1/4 inch of dust caked on the diesel nozzle that I had to clean up just to get fuel.  Between the dust and the smoke is was very hard to breath.  At any rate, it sure was nice to be running the HD truck in that.  While it was busy due to the intensity of the storm, things were always easy to handle so it continued to make me appreciate the new truck so much.

Dust 1.JPG

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Suprmn said:

I moved to Layton, Utah.  Between Salt Lake and Ogden.

Nice truck, My daughter and SIL live in Clearfield so they are pretty close to you. He is the one that bought Old Blue.

Nice truck and story. Having the right tool for the job makes any job much easier and trucks are the same way. Glad it all worked out for you! And I completely understand your love for your Hemi. :right: