Jump to content

When you're proud and not-proud at the same time


SMOKN05
 Share

Recommended Posts

Have you ever been proud and not proud at the same time? If not, I'll give you instructions. It's a 10 step process.

 

1) modify your factory fuel tank

2) get 200mi from your destination, see that you have 300mi distance-to-empty and decide to fuel up at your destination

3) get 125mi out and see you have 200mi DTE and decide to keep going

4) get 85mi out and pass last opportunity for fuel but have 125 DTE and keep going

5) get 30mi out and have 30mi DTE

6) get 18mi out and have 10mi DTE

7) get 10mi out and have 0mi DTE, low fuel light on, needle is below Empty mark

8 ) when wife asks why you turned the ac off, "we're getting a little low of fuel, no big deal go back to sleep"

9) pull up to fuel pump with engine running, 10mi past 0 DTE, wife still sleeping

10) put 40gal into a factory rated 35gal tank

 

My brain provided plenty of opportunity to fill up at each fuel station, but my balls said "na man, you got this". 

 

IMG_20200807_214424916~2.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh I have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO been there!!!!!!!!!!

The only difference was I didnt have a distance to empty gauge on Babe but I was on strike and a guy needed his airplane hauled to sisters Oregon from a small airfield somewhere around here? I honestly cant remember where I picked it up from but I think Kelly hooked me up with the job.

Anyway we loaded this homebuilt plane into my enclosed trailer I hauled the race truck in. The wings came off and we hung them on each side of the trailer and the fuselage just barely fit into the trailer. I headed to Sisters and had a little over half a tank when I got off I-5 and headed East so I figured I was fine to get to a less congested area a little off the freeway to stop for fuel.............WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first fuel stop I came to was a card lock joint and I have a card so I pull in thinking great lots of room no idiots blocking me in great choice! Its fenced off and locked up. 

Next stop is another closed gas station.

To make a very long story a little shorter from I-5 to sisters on hwy 20 is about 125 miles of the most unpopulated heavily wooded two lane road I have ever been on. There is nothing out there! Its very steep and curved road that would be a blast on a motorcycle if not for the log trucks everywhere. I just kept diving and praying I would find a fuel stop. I did not have gps to tell me how far I had to go and I not so slowly watched my fuel gauge get lower and lower, I went over 20 miles at one point and never saw a place to get off the road. I thought if I run out fuel on this road I will be a hood ornament for a log truck in short order!  I watched the needle hit empty (I NEVER! let my fuel get that low) and I found out that my truck would actually get to the point where I could see space between the needle and the low side hash mark. I was looking at a LONG straight stretch through the timber that I could not see the end of and I was very nervous I coasted down every hill and prayed up them. When I hit the gas station at sisters I had to be on fumes. I had never put more than 30 gallons of fuel in my truck before (in a 35 gallon tank) but that day I put 36 gallons of fuel in it. I swear I filled every fuel line and the VP44 right to the injectors!  

Puckered up does not begin to describe how I felt!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did a trip from Regina to Carrington ND and low fuel light went in sooner than usual. Slip tank empty, -30F outside and bucking a SE wind.

There was nothing ahead of me except Carrington and it was well over 30 more miles when the fuel gauge was left of ‘E’ .

Radio off, kinda saying to myself you dumb azz and also another part saying, ‘I’ll make it’.

 

Had a small hill to go over and then coast into the truck stop. I swear the truck stumbled a couple times idling up to the fuel pumps.

 I actually think the two large fuel filters had just  enough in them that I made it in there sputtering. As I was fueling I heard the truck sputter and almost die and then all was fine.

 

Never again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LMAO Shawn, got my day started with a laugh. Thanks!

 

The gauge on the old ‘98 works sometimes, sometimes it doesn’t. So I always reset the trip so I kinda know where I’m at. Except sometimes when I fill up at Safeway and use the fuel discount it shuts off at 25gal so I don’t know how close to full it is. Bottom line, sometimes it’s a bit of a mystery. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HOSS said:

 

To make a very long story a little shorter from I-5 to sisters on hwy 20 is about 125 miles of the most unpopulated heavily wooded two lane road I have ever been on. There is nothing out there! Its very steep and curved road that would be a blast on a motorcycle if not for the log trucks everywhere.

It was a blast... 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am so grateful for Google maps and their street view.  Now that I have the 30' travel trailer it isn't so easy doing fuel stops. When I am planning our long trips I search out my fueling stops.  Interstate isn't too hard but off on the secondary roads can get tricky. I was also able to figure out how to make our stop to pick up sushi to go in Albany.  There is an office park behind the shopping center where the restaurant is so as long as it's not during office hours we are fine.  But having the trailer does make things a lot easier when the trailer is dropped at the camping site. I didn't like taking the camper off the truck so most of the time it came along wherever we went. Missed out on some nice scenery in Acadia on our first trip. So glad we got to do it last time we were there. Was really looking forward to going again this September but just got an email saying the park campground was not going to open and they cancelled my reservations. Dang! The fresh lobsters just down the road are just so tasty and quite affordable.

 

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fuzzy Bear said:

I am so grateful for Google maps and their street view.  Now that I have the 30' travel trailer it isn't so easy doing fuel stops. When I am planning our long trips I search out my fueling stops.  Interstate isn't too hard but off on the secondary roads can get tricky. I was also able to figure out how to make our stop to pick up sushi to go in Albany.  There is an office park behind the shopping center where the restaurant is so as long as it's not during office hours we are fine.  But having the trailer does make things a lot easier when the trailer is dropped at the camping site. I didn't like taking the camper off the truck so most of the time it came along wherever we went. Missed out on some nice scenery in Acadia on our first trip. So glad we got to do it last time we were there. Was really looking forward to going again this September but just got an email saying the park campground was not going to open and they cancelled my reservations. Dang! The fresh lobsters just down the road are just so tasty and quite affordable.

 

Doug

Fuel stops while towing can be a real challenge. That is why I added a 90 gallon aux tank in the bed. Yes, it takes up a lot of space, but my truck is primarily for towing, so the sacrifice is well worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, donyo said:

Fuel stops while towing can be a real challenge. That is why I added a 90 gallon aux tank in the bed. Yes, it takes up a lot of space, but my truck is primarily for towing, so the sacrifice is well worth it.

 

That just means I could go 1200 miles just to run it on empty. 😁 :lol:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took the family to Disneyland in our 03 6.0l Ford excusrion and took it 0 miles left to empty and put 50.18 gallons in a 44 gallon tank(harpoon mod done).  I wanted to break 1,000 miles on a fillup - wife was not happy with me, but I never get to drive non-stop on a freeway.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...