Intermittent trailer brakes

With my 2017 I've been having trouble with intermittent trailer brakes.   2 weeks ago I got a warning saying trailer brake disconnected, check trailer wiring.    Drove home the last 120 miles without brakes.  Next day they worked.   We looked over the entire trailer and coolant' find a problem.   2 weeks later I hook to it and have brakes.  I drive over the mountain Friday I had times I had brakes and times I didn't.   I understand there is a TSB out about this and was told I should check the plug behind the dash.  I tore the dash oaprt  yesterday and all the wires seem tight.   I loaded up the trailer last night and had brakes.  When I pulled out this morning I had brakes.   Some time on the way home today they stopped working again, but the truck never lit up and said I didn't have brakes.   This is very frustrating.  I'llc all the dealer tomorrow and see if I can get it in next week.   When I'm at 28,000+ I'd like to have trailer brakes.   

How do the plugs look? Any chance is a simple matter of a little silicone dielectric grease on the connection? 

I know how easy it is for me to get crud in the plug from the trailer. 

Test continuity at wires both sides of plugs , look at grounds ... if you already haven’t done this 

So I have determined it's a short in the trailer.   At least that is one issue.    I hooked this trailer to my 04.5 this morning to haul it into work and the less smart brake controller in it identifies a short in the trailer.    Now for my maintenance guy at work to start tracing wires.  

My 10 had issues intermittently I replaced plug on truck helped some then after 1000 mi with buddies horse trailer it crashed said service. I had it at dealer for recalls asked if they could reset with computer they said they would try was unable to do anything yet after that it’s worked fine with various trailers