BOMBER Board
Sign in to follow this  
SMOKN05

Anyone have advice for hwy US-30 in ID/WY or US-26?

My brother in law is going to be towing an S10 with his Ram Rebel 1500 from Gillette WY to Boise. Looking on Google maps it recommends a couple routes. For hwy US-26 I've heard the pass going west from Jackson Hole into Idaho is pretty steep. Maybe that's not a good route for his 1/2 ton towing another truck? The picture is small but gives an idea of the route.

Screenshot (65)edit.png

Or would it be better to take US-30 to the south a little bit? I've never traveled on either one so I have no idea how steep the passes are etc.  Thanks

Screenshot (64)edit.png

Myself I would take hwy 30 outta Jackson if it’s pulling hard on pass use 4low gives you better power easier on motor either way would be fine he’s towing 5000 lbs the ram will be good then run freeway from Pocatello to Boise 

I haven't done 26 from Casper as I was usually going through Cheyenne.  But 26 from the junction of 287 into Jackson is not a problem depending on weather.  From Jackson south on 191 to 89 then 26 to Idaho Falls is not bad.  Taking Hwy 20 across to Mountain Home is an easy route too.  Craters of the Moon is a really interesting area. 

Doug

We rode our little bikes out of Jackson, and east on 26/287 over ten years ago.  Togwotee pass is 9658ft. and steep eastbound. We then took 287 east through Jeffery City to Alcova. No traffic, or services out there.