BOMBER Board
leadfoot067

99 cummins lift pump questions

im upgrading a friends truck. its a 99 auto dually. will be towing a 5th wheel. i have never messed with a 98-2002 truck before. what mods should i do to the fuel system? it will have a tow tune, smarty? edge? other?   thanks for the guidance guys! 

There are so many different directions to go with this that giving a straight answer without more info isn’t so easy. What is the plan for the truck?

If you are looking for the path of least resistance and simplicity, I would look into this. It’s an all in one solution with gauges and tuning.

https://edgeproducts.com/shop/98-5-00-dodge-5-9l-cummins-competition-juice-w-attitude-cts2

For a fuel upgrade pick your favorite. I’m partial to AirDog but FASS and Fuel Lab are good options. I have installed other pumps or even the budget pump options from FASS and AirDog. In the end They all seem to fail eventually. Just do the pump/filter set up from FASS or AirDog and be done with it.

• Like 1

the plan is a tow tune, BHAF and fuel pump perty sure thats the basics for a bit more power??.. im doing the front cover,kdp, ball joints, brakes all the way around, steering box brace,  basic once over, fix everything with a few upgrades. trans is fresh but still stock, he drives like an old man so the trans should be fine for awhile. his current truck is a 98 12valve stick, and his legs dont like the clutch anymore.

I would consider a billet single disc converter and a shift kit tranny will live longer and it will compliment any power upgrades.  The big thing is keeping the pump fed and remove stock lift pump. All vp-44 will fail regardless they are horrible design 

If he's truly not going to add power, you have lots of options as said. Personally, I would not touch the fuel pump until it an issue. A way to monitor pressure would be my first mod. Many of us ran around with relocated stock pumps on the frame rail near the tank with big fuel lines. Perfect time to add a DrawStraw to deal with any potential restrictions. 

Ben's suggestion is a good one. Even without tapping the wire, you can have up to 65HP. And the ability to have some gauges all in one. EGT, fuel pressure, trans temp ect.

But with any power upgrade, some type of trans upgrade should be used. With a trans in good shape, the old TC and VB worked for many of us for years.

But I would avoid adding power until.he determines he had to have it. Do the KDP and fuel pressure monitoring. After that, it starts to get expensive real quick.

JMO

Dave

• Like 1

If big if here ... you/he wants the best remedy for the fuel pump the block still has the opening for a mechanical 12 valve lift pump , needs a cam change to get the cam lobe , then remove the freeze plug and drop in a lift pump .. issue resolved once and forever . You will need a bypass of some sort as that configuration will produce to much fuel pressure for the VP 

that was done to my old truck and is still still in place well over 200,000 miles later. Prior to that it had 4 or 5 lift pump replacements , to long ago to remember now. 

Few more $$ and time but the best forever repair IMHO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GTroyer said:

If big if here ... you/he wants the best remedy for the fuel pump the block still has the opening for a mechanical 12 valve lift pump , needs a cam change to get the cam lobe , then remove the freeze plug and drop in a lift pump .. issue resolved once and forever . You will need a bypass of some sort as that configuration will produce to much fuel pressure for the VP 

that was done to my old truck and is still still in place well over 200,000 miles later. Prior to that it had 4 or 5 lift pump replacements , to long ago to remember now. 

Few more $$ and time but the best forever repair IMHO

Some of us still run unregulated....

Dave

Mine produced something like 49/50 lbs at idle 

2 hours ago, GTroyer said:

Mine produced something like 49/50 lbs at idle 

40psi for me. That's with a clipped spring. LOL

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stroketeck said:

i have made a spring change in the pump and have the pressure down to 15 psi so no need for a regulator 

Is it available as a separate part?

Dave

There are so many different directions to go with this that giving a straight answer without more info isn’t so easy. What is the plan for the truck?

If you are looking for the path of least resistance and simplicity, I would look into this. It’s an all in one solution with gauges and tuning.
https://edgeproducts.com/shop/98-5-00-dodge-5-9l-cummins-competition-juice-w-attitude-cts2

For a fuel upgrade pick your favorite. I’m partial to AirDog but FASS and Fuel Lab are good options. I have installed other pumps or even the budget pump options from FASS and AirDog. In the end They all seem to fail eventually. Just do the pump/filter set up from FASS or AirDog and be done with it.

I have almost the same edge setup. I have the smaller screen but for going for a small power bump it works great and you get gauges.
I agree with the convertor and vb.
I run a fass and have had a few trucks with them. So far no issues but I might be the minority.

Does the owner plan to drive it all the time or only to haul/tow?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

so he got the FASS,   do i need to remove the factory in tank pump?    do i need a aftermarket draw straw?

Draw straw should have came with the fass. 

They won’t pull through the in tank pump. I always used a sump. 

PS. Fill out the warranty paperwork and submit it. 

Fill it out again and send it registered mail. 

Never had an issue with warranty issues IF they had record of paperwork. Purchase receipt will not do. You HAVE to register it 

44 minutes ago, marksmith said:

Draw straw should have came with the fass. 

They won’t pull through the in tank pump. I always used a sump. 

thanks, i looked thru the box but not very closely. mabye its there.   i planned on making him register it for warranty. because its not IF...but when it goes bad....lol

You have a retrofitted in in tank pump? 

If you do, I actually prefer the DrawStraw 5. Easier connection in the module by using a fitting that replaces the pump. So, draws fuel from that location. But is only compatible with the in tank option. 

Dave

I don't usually use the drawstraw they send with the kits anymore. I prefer to use a Drawstraw 5 from Vulcan Diesel Performance. It requires modification of the intank module but doesn't require a hole to be cut in the factory tank. It also removes the factory tank connections which would need to be plugged anyhow. The best part is, if you choose to do something different you can purchase a new intank module and put the truck back to the way you found it.

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/DrawStraw-5-p/ds5.htm

That being said, I have a regular drawstraw in my truck. What ever you do, don't connect the suction side of the pump to the factory suction connection at the tank even if you do remove the pump inside the tank. I believe that connection is responsible for 80% of the failures for both FASS and AirDog.

Just now, Fishin2Deep4U said:

You have a retrofitted in in tank pump? 

If you do, I actually prefer the DrawStraw 5. Easier connection in the module by using a fitting that replaces the pump. So, draws fuel from that location. But is only compatible with the in tank option. 

Dave

Come on Dave, do the work! You gotta provide a link!!!! LOL!

33 minutes ago, Torque Monkey said:

I'm slippin'.

Dave

1 hour ago, Torque Monkey said:

But your link is broken.