BOMBER Board
Woodenhead

'03 Injector options

I'm helping out a buddy with an '03 that has an idle smoke issue and blows a good cloud of white when you stomp it in neutral.  It's fuel smoke and with some quality direction from a good friend who is well versed in these things we're fairly certain it needs injectors.

So, I realize the word on the street is BBI injectors from Rips are the king and only buy new never re manned but I'm trying to help out an old man on a budget here so are their other good options?

I see many of the BBI injectors are now re manufactured so maybe re manned isn't that bad anymore?  Options I'm seeing are?

New stock fueling BBI injectors are $2530

Source re manned Injectors are $1,800 (I called and spoke with someone, details on who builds these and how were vague)

From Industrial, Genuine Bosch re manned stock fueling injectors are $1800, seems hard to thumb your nose at genuine Bosch.

Industrial also has a set of re manned for $1957 with tubes 2yr unlimited mileage warranty.

While I understand it's possible to re-use the supply tubes (I probably would in my own rig), I'm thinking I'll suggest we replace these in his as I'd hate to see him have an issue down the road based on me rolling the dice here.  He's not typically too aware of what's going on with the rig and tends to drive to total failure.

Anyway, I got some solid advice from said well versed friend on the subject but I figured it's time we had something truck related to read around here so I welcome any and all input.

I’ve used Industrial remans lots. No issues. They started forcing the replacement of genuine tubes to keep contaminants out. While I disagree, most people aren’t very clean about handling them and it is a valid concern. 

27 minutes ago, marksmith said:

I’ve used Industrial remans lots. No issues. They started forcing the replacement of genuine tubes to keep contaminants out. While I disagree, most people aren’t very clean about handling them and it is a valid concern. 

These in house re manns

https://www.industrialinjection.com/product/industrial-injection-reman-stock-5-9l-03-04-injector-pack-with-connecting-tubes/

Or the Bosch ones they sell?

I’m pretty careful about keeping things clean with injectors. You saying if I keep everything clean we should be good? My concern was more that there’s a risk they may not seal right. 

32 minutes ago, Torque Monkey said:

I think you should pull the head. You know, just to have a look....🤣

Ok, I’ll do that too. Just so I can see what’s inside. 

• Like 1

I have never had issue with reusing factory tubes. Remove them completely before removing injectors. Final torque on install to 44 ft lbs.  Cummins says 37, but they leak. II recommends 44 also. In fact they have a detailed install that takes through the steps. Never once had issue following their steps exactly. 

If you get the Bosch injectors and reuse your tubes, ask about warranty. I don’t think II warranties either without new tubes. 

24 minutes ago, Woodenhead said:

Ok, I’ll do that too. Just so I can see what’s inside. 

That’s how I roll!👍

I put the 100 hp industrial remans in the ex’s 06 one had an issue I dropped it at industrial next day it was ready to go no questions or charge. I’m local so it’s easy to swing by. 

BBI.

New

Not Stock

50 HP

New Tubes

Doing it right costs. I warn people about the cost of CR Injectors all the time.

So every 10 years or so it's a 5K tune up.  

28 minutes ago, C Paul Go said:

BBI.

New

Not Stock

50 HP

New Tubes

Doing it right costs. I warn people about the cost of CR Injectors all the time.

So every 10 years or so it's a 5K tune up.  

Someone else recommended the +50 injectors too Paul. I don’t see them in the Source Website for an ‘03. Most of the over stock injectors are re manned BBI.  Can you post a link to them? 

What exactly is it about re manned injectors that makes them a bad idea? Stock BBIs from Source appear to be the only true new injectors available.  99% of what I’m seeing are re manned, even the Bosch. 

9 hours ago, marksmith said:

I have never had issue with reusing factory tubes. Remove them completely before removing injectors. Final torque on install to 44 ft lbs.  Cummins says 37, but they leak. II recommends 44 also. In fact they have a detailed install that takes through the steps. Never once had issue following their steps exactly. 

If you get the Bosch injectors and reuse your tubes, ask about warranty. I don’t think II warranties either without new tubes. 

Good info, thanks. Were the injectors you were getting from Industrial their own re mann or the Bosch ones? 

1 hour ago, Woodenhead said:

Someone else recommended the +50 injectors too Paul. I don’t see them in the Source Website for an ‘03. Most of the over stock injectors are re manned BBI.  Can you post a link to them? 

What exactly is it about re manned injectors that makes them a bad idea? Stock BBIs from Source appear to be the only true new injectors available.  99% of what I’m seeing are re manned, even the Bosch. 

https://www.bigbanginjection.com/product-category/new-bbi-injectors/year-2003-05-2004/

14 minutes ago, megacabcummins said:

Just throwing this out there but why not just do the tips?

If I was going the economy route you can have them “ tested “ and have them repair and replace/clean as needed fixing or replacing the bad ones then making sure others are functioning and in spec so all are balanced 

15 minutes ago, yogi_160 said:

If I was going the economy route you can have them “ tested “ and have them repair and replace/clean as needed fixing or replacing the bad ones then making sure others are functioning and in spec so all are balanced 

Yea, check all the bodies, throw some new tips on for $800 or so and you'd have a good running truck for not a lot out the door. 

Yeah, my fear is that if I do that and there are other issues with the injectors then it’s a fail and I end up putting more time into later. 

The fuel filter rarely if ever got changed and it has an edge box so that’s probably contributed to the demise of these injectors. I don’t know what that means for which parts of the injectors are likely to be toast. 

7 minutes ago, Woodenhead said:

Yeah, my fear is that if I do that and there are other issues with the injectors then it’s a fail and I end up putting more time into later. 

The fuel filter rarely if ever got changed and it has an edge box so that’s probably contributed to the demise of these injectors. I don’t know what that means for which parts of the injectors are likely to be toast. 

My understanding is most failures are from moisture and contamination now if all are tested cleaned and calibrated replacing any defective parts they essentially become reman injectors 

I was just thinking in terms of saving money, but yea your right, it may just be worth it to change the whole injector. Still might be worth looking into... Then take the money saved and install one of these lol... https://fleeceperformance.com/dodge/2003-2007/fuel-system/fuel-distribution-hose-and-fitting-kits/2003-2018-dodge-cummins-auxiliary-fuel-filter-and-line-kit.html

5 hours ago, megacabcummins said:

Just throwing this out there but why not just do the tips?

Putting tips on warn out injectors is like putting lip stick on a pig.

My assumption is the injectors are being replaced due to mileage.  Tested and repaired for all 6 it would be cheaper and more reliable over time to just buy a set.

3 hours ago, Woodenhead said:

Edge box is a pressure box, it needs to go down the road.  Adding pressure to CR injectors voids warranty and is about the last thing these injectors need.