• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JMSO I’d go further east over to CO and then drop down and then east again Over to top of texas and straight down. You will have heat regardless and storms. I think its hwy 283 or 289 east o

We made it.  2,300 miles driven in 4 days.  Luckily no issues for us. We got stuck in traffic west of Rawlins Sunday night for 2 hours, that made our short day just as long as the rest.  There was a b

Posted Images

I'm leaning towards the more northern route, but that will also depend on where she can find to overnight with the horses along the way.   I honestly prefer to stay out of California whenever possible.   

You will just love 4th O july and and the rest ........UP  there...

You started out wanting the EZ way......

might as well do Eisenhower Tunnel, its only 12K feet.

Good luck

16 minutes ago, thumper 549 said:

You will just love 4th O july and and the rest ........UP  there...

You started out wanting the EZ way......

might as well do Eisenhower Tunnel, its only 12K feet.

Good luck

I'd be good with Eisenhower.  I have no doubt I can pull it without issue.   It's our trainers truck that's a bit older and a gas engine.   

The route is really up to her and we will let her pick.   

15 hours ago, jcasper said:

I'm leaning towards the more northern route, but that will also depend on where she can find to overnight with the horses along the way.   I honestly prefer to stay out of California whenever possible.   

Let me know when you finalize I have room for vehicles and overnight corral you could put horses in I’m 30 minutes due west of salt lake airport right off I-80 there’s also motel nearby. 
the comfort inn off twin Falls exit on I-84 used to have horse corrals for overnight stay. I can check next time I go through 

7 hours ago, yogi_160 said:

Let me know when you finalize I have room for vehicles and overnight corral you could put horses in I’m 30 minutes due west of salt lake airport right off I-80 there’s also motel nearby. 
the comfort inn off twin Falls exit on I-84 used to have horse corrals for overnight stay. I can check next time I go through 

Thank you.  That is great to know.   

On 5/20/2020 at 11:59 PM, carl20320 said:

IT is showing different routes now than earlier.  The 2064 mile route is what I would suggest... I-84 , 287.  287 will take you into Fort Worth and there is lots of construction in Fort Worth on the major freeways but if you time your travel, traffic has never been too bad.

That is a very familiar part of the world to me.  Born in Cleburne, lived in burleson, and relatives all over the place.  Spent all my summers growing up in Hillsboro (TX) and Whitney on the grandparents farms. 

Cool fact - the 2024 total eclipse is going to pass through the area.  My family just sold there farm in Hillsboro or else I would be there for the eclipse.  Right on the center line and going to have almost 4 1/2 minutes of totality.

Burleson is another town they are looking at right now.   They are looking at a couple of different houses right now trying to get one bought.    

What about heading south through Denver down into Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Clayton, NM and Amarillo?   That's another option that is a short route.   I think just getting around Denver would be the hard part.   Or is that the route Carl said had bad roads?  

27 minutes ago, jcasper said:

What about heading south through Denver down into Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Clayton, NM and Amarillo?   That's another option that is a short route.   I think just getting around Denver would be the hard part.   Or is that the route Carl said had bad roads?  

The route with bad roads went through Utah and down SW CO into NM and turned towards Amarillo at Albuquerque.  From Provo, UT to Albuquerque is mostly 2 lane roads.  The drive through Moab was nice but I would not want to tow horses on the two lane roads in SW CO and NM.

The route you mentioned is the route I have typically taken Denver to DFW as I would always visit the grandparents in Hillsboro then head up.  The road from Texline (TX-NM line) to Raton was never that good... not horrible but a little rough and it was 2 lane.  It is now 4 lane divided so likely much better.  It is relatively flat except that you cross Raton Pass at 7800 and change feet.  The pass is on I-25 so the road over Raton Pass is good.  Your truck would have no problem.  The gasser, I don't know???  It is the most direct route to the DFW area.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like she has picked August 22nd as a go date.  Her house sold within 4 days with 4 offers.  2 offers 25K over asking price.   Her brothers house sold on day 1 over asking price.    Crazy that the housing market is still doing this around her.e    

Safe travels Joe , plenty of time to get servicing done pre trip Eh

friend of mine moving from a desirable area in Komieville near San Jose in the mountains above ( Felton ) just sold his on one weekend and same thing had a bidding war ... got more than 100 thousand over asking .. they moved to the river between Post Falls and Coeur d’Alene.. they will be good neighbors , he’s been trying to get out of Komieville for several years and took early retirement to get out. He was very happy to see citizens stand against the looters in Cd’A 😁

12 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

Safe travels Joe , plenty of time to get servicing done pre trip Eh

friend of mine moving from a desirable area in Komieville near San Jose in the mountains above ( Felton ) just sold his on one weekend and same thing had a bidding war ... got more than 100 thousand over asking .. they moved to the river between Post Falls and Coeur d’Alene.. they will be good neighbors , he’s been trying to get out of Komieville for several years and took early retirement to get out. He was very happy to see citizens stand against the looters in Cd’A 😁

Yes plenty of time.  She is going to have wheel bearings and tires done on the trailers before the trip.  Her truck is getting serviced as well.   

Mine is good other then it will get an oil change and new fuel filters before we head out.   New tires went on my truck yesterday.    

Just curious why not use your other diesel and then she can swap back after the trip ? Then the path is irrelevant and you have piece of mind 

22 minutes ago, yogi_160 said:

Just curious why not use your other diesel and then she can swap back after the trip ? Then the path is irrelevant and you have piece of mind 

Her trip is one way.    

Should be able to provide some real time feedback 2 weeks before.  Ivan has to be at school in Florida again August 16.  Once you know your route, any of it we cover I'll send you current 411.

54 minutes ago, carl20320 said:

Should be able to provide some real time feedback 2 weeks before.  Ivan has to be at school in Florida again August 16.  Once you know your route, any of it we cover I'll send you current 411.

That's excellent.  Thank you.  I hope he gets to go back.  They're still not sure what they're doing with school around here.

1 hour ago, Scotty_ said:

It will be a nice road trip!

Yes it should be.  I wish I could haul my fifth wheel down so I didn't have to motel it for 2 weeks.

It will be plentyhot for sure , already hitting 100 here near a full month earlier than normal for those temps... 99 today predicted here. 

No matter how uncomfortable she is, impress upon her to turn off the AC on anything except downhill or flat roads. 
Having the AC on for the Dakota gasser climbing hills will overtax her cooling system huge and likely burn up,the truck.

1 hour ago, Abbyfireguy said:

No matter how uncomfortable she is, impress upon her to turn off the AC on anything except downhill or flat roads. 
Having the AC on for the Dakota gasser climbing hills will overtax her cooling system huge and likely burn up,the truck.

It's a 3/4 ton Hemi.   I will for sure have her watch the temps.