BOMBER Board
Sign in to follow this  
skyking

speaker suggestions

I am looking for suggestions for decent door replacements for my 3rd gen. I upgraded the receiver unit and was reminded of just how bad the stock speakers are!

Crutchfield was a little confusing, with mostly 5.25" speakers suggested up front, but also some 6.5" ?

What has anyone installed up front? 

The rear doors are all 6.5".

any specific speaker models?

I’m partial to MB Quart and JL separates 

I did a 6-1/2 mid range and a 1” tweeter up front

and 5-1/4 and 1” rear coupled with 3 JL 10W6 subs

if you’re not doing subs or smaller/less subs, a bigger mid range in the rear should work.

I did 6x9’s in some doors too but cant remember which trucks lol

Last I checked on MB Quart, they’re no longer made in the USA so maybe not an option

• Thanks 1

I am going with 4 full range in the factory locations, and no subs or tweets. My truck is a basic one with no wiring up there or amp and the receiver is just 4 out, IIRC. I don't care if they are coax or triax, just sound decent. I don't want to give up any underseat storage for a sub. I keep tow cables jumpers electric impacts tools etc.

I got spoiled by the Beetles with the Monsoon system. It has 6 up front and a pair in back.

Mary's '13 has the Fender system with a trunk sub, stock. 

Thank you Shane!

I ran over and we discussed speakers and the like. I am ordering a pair of 6x9s for the front door and not worrying about the rears. 

I am a fan of JBL's and had a set of 6X9's in the doors of my 2nd gen.  I dont remember the model number but they sounded good.  That was the 3rd pair that I had bought.  

I've had really good luck with Infinite speakers. I would go with component/separate in the front doors and full range in the rear.

My 01.5, Focal 6X9 front. They rocked. Just put JL 6X9 in 98.5. a real close match to the Focal for half the price.  

Have fun. 

On 5/17/2020 at 3:03 PM, skyking said:

did they fit OK under the door skin?

Yes - they were about as deep as the stockers

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 11:59 AM, megacabcummins said:

I just discovered DD Audio this may be the route I got for my 3rd gen speakers... https://ddaudio.com/car-audio-upgrade-guide/

Seem to be decent prices IMHO

Their dealer network seems a little challenging to me....

There is one in Marysville, I don't really deal with car audio, like ever... so anything better than stock speakers would be all new for me lol

But it's time for a new head unit too, that dang 1.5 din radio is a pain to find a good replacement.

I like to go through Crutchfield for most anything I'm willing to install myself.

6 hours ago, megacabcummins said:

There is one in Marysville, I don't really deal with car audio, like ever... so anything better than stock speakers would be all new for me lol

But it's time for a new head unit too, that dang 1.5 din radio is a pain to find a good replacement.

It was very easy to put a double DIN in with this:

dash bezel 95$

My truck had the basic radio with sirius built in, no nav, no amp. The harness that is included above was all I needed. I soldered that one to the one that came with this radio:

Kenwood DDX9905S with android auto and apple car play, ~$480

I have the backup camera installed and working automatically when I put it in reverse. It does android very well.

Downside is you lose the top dash pocket. I made it so my phone slides into the lower one anda magnetic connector hooks it up.