BOMBER Board
Abbyfireguy

Really enjoying driving the KW

Well,two trips to Alberta under my belt. All is good, feeling better and better all the time.

The truck is amazing, the 2020  Kenworth T680 didn’t get detuned before we got it and its set at around 500 hp.

The Cummins X15 is really a joy to drive coupled with the Ultrashift 18 spd autoshift.

The manual shift option with paddle shift is my selection for most of the time in mountain driving..

I have a Sirius XM radio that plugs into the stereo,so have good tunes all the time as well.

Cooking in the sleeper is working out great to keep isolated.

I got a Blue Parrot wireless headset last year and that works really nice to keep in contact with home and customers and keep

both hands on the wheel . Bluetooth wireless is so good, don’t know what we did before that was invented! LOL!

Spring is a great time to see the sights going to Alberta. Lots of wildlife everywhere.

Every species now has their new babies with them. 
I don’t drive at night,pull over at dusk and call it a day. It’s like being a paid tourist most trips! 
Will try and get more scenery pics the next few trips where I have  room to stop.

I generally leave early in the mornings and that gives me a relaxing ,non hurried pace to get there and deliver the next day.

My other coworker Darrel has the same truck and we alternate taking two trips one week and one trip the next week. 
I like  that much better . When we are doing the two trip weeks they give that person the easy  4 or 5/drop trips.

By June 10th we slow right down with perennials and the tractors generally get retired for the year..

I like the 8-10:week season. By the time it gets warm and Rv camping time we are finished driving.

We call it our 18 wheel therapy.

My pal Darrel and I are both retired firefighters. 

Edited by Abbyfireguy
  • Like 2

How is the traffic? It is really slowed down here going to work is at least 15 minutes quicker because of the schools, University and businesses shut down.

Casey

I've always loved driving. I could have easily been a long haul driver in another life. I'm glad you are enjoying your trips and the open roads.

Traffic is creepy absent. It’s weird driving through big cities during rush hour times and not even slowing down. Some places are like ghost towns. 
Tomorrow’s trip takes me off the beaten path twice on gravel roads. You feel like you are driving to nowhere.

Good folks out in the boonies. Will help you with anything. 
One place has a small craft dairy, they always give me fresh milk and chocolate milk,ice cold! Their daughters run a farm based bakery and make me driving sandwiches on oven warm bread... I get spoiled...

But, I always take time to chat with them and remember to ask how things are going as some of them really struggle to make ends meet.

Salt of the earth people for the most part.. Fortunately they comprise most of my deliveries and Costco isn’t on board this year at all this season in Alberta . Just as well, they are full of so many rules and weird delivery procedures,I dont miss delivering to Costco this season.

I did local freight as a casual for  5 years and Costco was a pain. But one of the assistant managers was a neighbor so I could call him and get in fairly easy. 

I get along great with the workers and Garden shop managers at Costco,unfortunately there are many store managers or assistant managers that feel the need to tell me what to do all the time and loudly..

I just remind them I am not their employee so don’t feel you have the right to yell at me..

Im not deaf nor is it my first day on the job! That usually stops them in their tracks. 
Some of them I just let go on a bit till they get both feet in their mouths...

I sometimes just kill them with kindness,, usually have them chuckling by the time I leave..

Some folks should never manage anything! 

The company’s fast growth has it consequences unfortunately some get promoted to incompetence and believe the world turns on their authority 🙁

one of the long time worries of growth 

26 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

The company’s fast growth has it consequences unfortunately some get promoted to incompetence and believe the world turns on their authority 🙁

one of the long time worries of growth 

Spoken like a true Costco manger :shooter:

Well, we have little if any deliveries to Costco on my routes this season.

That’s ok by me as they like middle of the night deliveries...No longer 

a fan of working at night and trying to sleep in a truck during the day when

the rest of the world is awake and making noise around you!

that is definitely a young man's gig. I used to do the shift thing, and still do some night tide work but prefer the daylight :)

I only work mostly daylight hours.. the odd drive till 10 p.m.,but only on special occasions.

But never any overnight runs.

I’m too old for that crap and if asked I just say no thanks.
If told I have  to, I just put the KW keys on the desk and lay the fuel card beside them and say no thanks again.

I usually get asked if I’m serious,to which I turn around and start walking. I have  never made it to the door yet!LOL!
It’s nice to be in my position already collecting a good pension. I feel,sorry for the folks working to make ends meet. 
That’s not a good place to be at the moment.

I swap shifts a lot, I have for decades. It comes with the territory for my work.  January through February this year I did a week of days, week of nights, and kept switching for two months. That sucked. It used to be easy but the older I get the harder it is. 

I used to love the night runs due to low traffic. Didn’t mind the day time sleeping if I had a quiet spot.

Downside was having to clean off the bugs all the time.

One route I did (not semi) was phoenix to San Diego thru Death Valley at night. Arrive before sun rise, off load and quiet little mom n pop motel across from the dealership.

Sleep for awhile, workout at the gym three blocks away, load the cars around supper time and leave at sunset. Mon/weds/fri. Loved the gig...was single then as well.

Got an interesting run Monday . Hope to load and leave by 1 p.m. .Head straight to Lethbridge Alberta,then start north to Calgary,Red Deer,Edmonton then up to Grande Prairie Alberta to pickup a bunch of empty racks at Costco then home.

It will be a rather long and drawn out run,but I won’t have more than 6 or 7 drops..
Mostly time consuming. The road from Edmonton to Grande  Prairie has tons of wildlife on it right now,but I will be running 

in daylight hours,so no big deal hopefully..

My trips are usually 2400 to 2600 KMS max ..

This one will be 3400 km. Will try and get a remote mount for my camera .

Sounds like a nice road trip right there.   

Have done that run several times. Beautiful!

Oh! And the biggest Ravens I’ve ever seen. Had one follow me from truck to building at a rest area. Followed me back to the truck. He was easily 24” tall maybe 30”. 
I had some seeds and crackers and fed him from the window while I took my break. He was definitely the rest area mooch lol

Edited by Scotty_

Well,looks like another season under my belt.

Things have ground to a halt almost with the perennial plants.

I’m ready to get back to family stuff and other fun things after 10 weeks Of craziness.

This season was the weirdest one with all the Covid crap going on.

I certainly did not miss all the hordes of foreigners driving rented motor homes on the highways.

They are a royal pain in the hind end! 
Monday I move 3 of the trailers into winter storage , and clean out the KW T680 and return it to Inland Kenworth
first thing Tuesday. They will keep one T680 and trailer going for 2 more weeks.

Its funny with perennial plants, you’re going gang busters one week and the next it’s like someone slammed on the brakes and its

done... 

Oh well, back to a semi normal life now,if that even exists!

Nice to have a modern truck to drive :)

I am probably going back to excavating, and I will have a vintage 1992 Ford dump truck to wrangle around. 😂

My work truck is a 2019 intertrashpile has the 18 sp auto and the Cummins it’s detuned so bad it shifts at 1500 rpm won’t get out of its own way I drive city p&d now so it’s tolerable worst new truck ever. 
congrats on another safe successful season