BOMBER Board
Sign in to follow this  
rubystargoats

Tree falling day

The neighbor had some big cedar trees that had died and needed to be removed. The dead trees were in behind a big maple and along side a chin link fence so I had to do the under cut and most of the back cut and then pull them down thru big maple branches with the truck. Got 3 of the big ones and a couple of the small ones down today and they removed some of the really big maple branches with them so the next few will be easy. If you need some ceder for kindling come get some. I may use some for split rails/posts. Now I have a bunch of cleanup next week. And maybe a BIG bonfire soon.

IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2504.JPG

• Like 1

Nice work, Dan.

my neighbor has a big standing dead fir that needs to come down. I am not comfortable taking it down in one piece. I need to find a good tree climber.

When I get all the limbing done and you have time, chipping it might be easier than dragging it all back to my burn area.

37 minutes ago, skyking said:

Nice work, Dan.

my neighbor has a big standing dead fir that needs to come down. I am not comfortable taking it down in one piece. I need to find a good tree climber.

I have a good set of climbing spikes and a harness.......you are welcome to try them.......or I have lots of chains, come alongs, cables and snatch blocks

Edited by rubystargoats

1 hour ago, rubystargoats said:

When I get all the limbing done and you have time, chipping it might be easier than dragging it all back to my burn area.

Well I don't have plans on going any place this week so let me know. I just need to check the knives, might need to sharpen them.

Kevin

1 hour ago, rubystargoats said:

I have a good set of climbing spikes and a harness.......you are welcome to try them.......or I have lots of chains, come alongs, cables and snatch blocks

I won't be climbing any trees soon with this shoulder :)

I can barely get my arm up over my shoulder. Add a saw to that? 🤣

I'm looking for a young competent guy to do the work.

feeding a chipper though, that I can handle. Let me know if want some help.

13 hours ago, skyking said:

Nice work, Dan.

Thee isn't enough space in any direction to just drop it?

It's likely to trash some other trees if fallen perfectly. If it is a little off one way, possible big tree conflict or widowmaker; the other way a whole bunch of my fence and the rhododendrons next to it.

Widow maker not an issue, just leave enough hinge material and with cable and snatch blocks you are away from the fall zone when you add enough pull to bring it down,. other trees or fences you don't want damaged are another issue. About the top 20 to 30 feet of the cedars broke off going past the maple when I dropped them but I was a couple hundred feet away.

Edited by rubystargoats

You can make a new widowmaker if the tree gets lodged firmly in the nearby tree. 

Right in that same area of his lot, he had a leaner like that and it was a serious health hazard. I brought the 120 home from work and pulled it down. I would not try this tree like that, being too tall and everything I could hit with it.

Got it,  The ones that broke on mine did not hang up they fell clear but if they were still in the maple...:alarm:. I would stay pretty far away until they did come down. But if it is that brittle, I wouldn't want to climb it either.

Edited by rubystargoats

On 4/11/2020 at 9:04 PM, n7gxz said:

Well I don't have plans on going any place this week so let me know. I just need to check the knives, might need to sharpen them.

Kevin

PM sent.   Thanks   Dan

On 4/11/2020 at 9:11 PM, skyking said:

I won't be climbing any trees soon with this shoulder :)

I can barely get my arm up over my shoulder. Add a saw to that? 🤣

I'm looking for a young competent guy to do the work.

feeding a chipper though, that I can handle. Let me know if want some help.

I can always use help so if you think wood chipping is good sport and want to join in, we start a little after 11:30 tomorrow.

So after a few hours of work it now looks like this.. Thanks  Kelly and Kevin could not have done it without you.

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

And if anyone needs a truck load of cedar chips for a paddock or trail..... I know where some are......

• Thanks 1