BOMBER Board

I'm looking at a 2002 Tahoe 4wd with a 5.3 and 190K miles.

I need another vehicle to keep Ben busy.  🤣

The only thing that worries me with a vehicle with that many miles is the xfer case and tranny.  

Does anyone have any more info or opinions on these?  I think the 5.3's are pretty bullet proof but what about the rest of the rig?

My wife had an 05, I loved it, her not so much. 😆

We  bought it with 90K, had to put a trans in it at 110K miles. The trans shop that did the work said they do a lot of 4L60's, so I would say your trans concerns are warranted. The transfer case in them can have the pump rub issue as well, the pump rub fix kit is easy to install. Other than the trans no issues with it, the 5.3 had good power and on my commute I averaged 16MPG, mostly 50MPH country roads.

My 01 Denali had the 6.0 and the AWD transfer case. I had it for 12 years and put over 100k miles on it. I replaced the front wheel bearings twice, all of the front suspension wear items, and 2 Ujoints. I think the trans and the rear diff will end up being an issue down the road. The ABS module on the driver's side frame rails tends to fail because of bad solder joints, it is an easy fix. Besides normal wear items you should see another 50-75k miles before the engine gets tired and the lifters eat themselves.

• Like 1

we had a 2003 tahoe for awhile. if the factory coolant is still in it, it will jelly and clog the heater core. i flushed it replaced with new coolant and it was fine,  water pump,  front bearings, autoride compressor, and trans are the big things..

If you can buy it right for a good deal it would be worth picking up. 

I'm going to take a peek at this one when this virus crap calms down.

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/711537756049187/?ref=browse_tab&search_query=chevrolet tahoe&tracking={"qid"%3A"6812270912982050155"%2C"mf_story_key"%3A"2904785979557121"%2C"commerce_rank_obj"%3A"{\"target_id\"%3A2904785979557121%2C\"target_type\"%3A0%2C\"primary_position\"%3A-1%2C\"ranking_signature\"%3A0%2C\"commerce_channel\"%3A503%2C\"value\"%3A0%2C\"upsell_type\"%3Anull}"}

Looks like a nice rig - well cared for and it's about ten minutes away.

Whats a rebuilt 4L60E go for?  $1500 exchange?  Are they a fully electronic version of the 700-R4?

EDIT - Rock Auto is ~1200 for a tranny and a grand for an xfer case - Rebuilder is Exact Powertrain

Thanks for the replies!

My thought was to get rid of my Acura, and start driving the Dodge to work.  Then get a bigger SUV for when I go out in the woods, setting it up a bit as an overlander, removing the rear seats, full deck of radios, 2" lift, larger tires, etc.  They have a 8.5" in the back so new bearings and a posi will probably be in order too.  (I'm not a snorkel fan though)

2002 Tahoe Expeditionary Vehicle _Under Construction_ - Expedition Portal.jpg

I forget about the air ride compressor, mine did go out but I got ride of all the electronic shocks and went with normal shocks. I put a air compressor under the hood and ran air bags on the rear for a while when I was moving my RV around. My final setup was 2" lowering springs and Air shocks with an in cab controller and gauge on the pillar.

19 hours ago, livingez_123 said:

I forget about the air ride compressor, mine did go out but I got ride of all the electronic shocks and went with normal shocks. I put a air compressor under the hood and ran air bags on the rear for a while when I was moving my RV around. My final setup was 2" lowering springs and Air shocks with an in cab controller and gauge on the pillar.

I was going to ask you about this - I wanted to put spacers on the rear springs but it all the lift kit manufactures say their spacers dont work on the back of air leveling system suspensions.  I'm not planning on pulling anything heavy with it, I've got a truck for that but was is any big deal to remove the system??  Is it factory air bags in the back with some sort of valve and linkage?

They use a air shock with a auto level sensor on each side. Some of them use electronic shocks and if you replace them all with non electronic units you have to run a resistor at each corner. Not a big deal at all to remove and toss the system. I think most people do just that when they find out the cost of replacing all of the electronic shocks.

• Like 1

Thanks - Looks like there are kits around to do this - replacing the springs and shocks in the back.  The resistor just replaces the solenoid on the system to keep the pixies happy in the computer.  

I bought a 2001 tahoe in 2007 with 91k ish on it. 

5.3 lt no sunroof.

Has 172k ish now, no problems except tires, brakes, typical front end wear items. 

stock trans and tcase as far as i know...

been a good rig...

• Like 1

They really are good vehicles, I loved my Denali. They ride nice, great long distance cruisers, plenty of room inside.

• Like 1

Looked at that Tahoe today

The interior and exterior were not good - Lots of scratches and a few dents - I could have lived with the scratches and dents if the vehicle had looked like someone had loved it, but it looked like someone had beat it.  The headliner was disgusting and it was pretty dirty inside.  And then the person selling it told me it needed and oil change - that was enough for me.

I'll keep looking

It's hard to find a nice well kept rig. Tahoe's seem to be a dime a dozen but most are usually in rough shape. The driver's seat is almost always ripped up.

On 4/12/2020 at 7:47 PM, livingez_123 said:

It's hard to find a nice well kept rig. Tahoe's seem to be a dime a dozen but most are usually in rough shape. The driver's seat is almost always ripped up.

a ripped front seat was the least of my worries - they can be rebuilt - this one was rough.

I'd like to look at this one next

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/d/bonney-lake-2005-chevy-tahoe-4x4-very/7107422698.html

I think my cousin is talking about selling his Tahoe.  He works at Platue Diesel if you drive by their shop.

Maybe Paul - what year is it?

Yes Robert - it looks like a better rig for me - its not an LT so no sunroof or leather and thats fine by me.  No myriad of things to go wrong either

Russ, it's 2 wheel drive.

16 hours ago, C Paul Go said:

Russ, it's 2 wheel drive.

sorry - need a 4X4

• Like 1