BOMBER Board
Sign in to follow this  
carl20320

Leaking O2J and noise in reverse

Monday, Ivan called and said his transmission started making a weird noise based off axle rotation (as best as I could get from him) and was leaking transmission fluid from the bell housing.  He thought he had a little time to look into it and resolve the issue.  Today, his school announce they are shutting down all campus and he has to be out by Sunday.  I'm flying out tomorrow night, arriving Friday morning and we are going to see what we can find out.

Anyone have ideas?  We'll likely be pulling the transmission and going from there.

Trying to find a positive but I guess it is good that I am out of a job right now and can head out to help.  Just sucks that this happened.

I got one answer Carl, chime in if you register. There are more MKIV people over there.

Maybe he can fill it up and bring it home. Save the airfare for a new used trans.

Pick and pull has dozens of Jetta MkIV in the Puget sound area.

I can ask for TDI models and price and location tomorrow. 

Well, the spider gears are weak, the bolt that holds the cross shaft in place will break and the cross shaft will take out the case. Also reverse gear itself likes to shead teeth. And last but not least, the output shaft can push itself through/crack the case and dump oil. It's a weak spot on the 02J.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, livingez_123 said:

Well, the spider gears are weak, the bolt that holds the cross shaft in place will break and the cross shaft will take out the case. Also reverse gear itself likes to shead teeth. And last but not least, the output shaft can push itself through/crack the case and dump oil. It's a weak spot on the 02J.

Thanks for chiming in.  Those last two are what he is really worried about.

3 hours ago, skyking said:

that sucks Carl, I have no idea. 

I posted it up on TDI club forums. Here is the link:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5580829#post5580829

Thanks for posting that!  I did chime in so we shall see.

Sounds like a fun next week!  :wacko:

On a positive note, the O2J does come apart fairly easy. You will need to heat up the OD gear and use a puller to get the gear off the output shaft. Other than that it's a pretty simple trans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1