BOMBER Board
SMOKN05

Any interest in starting a Financial discussion subforum?

I've been watching the market like a hawk this week, as I'm sure a lot of people are. I was thinking, is there any interest in starting a financial discussion sub forum, kinda like how we have the Outdoors sub forum etc. I don't know if others would want to chat about investments or retirement plans etc. I know some people are pretty private about that stuff. I pretty much openly talk about anything I do, no secrets or privacy for me.

I just let my money sit there and see what happens.   I know a couple people pulling out now.   Locking in their losses.  I don't see the point in that unless I guess you are retiring soon.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jcasper said:

I just let my money sit there and see what happens.   I know a couple people pulling out now.   Locking in their losses.  I don't see the point in that unless I guess you are retiring soon.

I have always done the same.

So some are selling and paying capital gains , and rebuying when this is over not to mention brokerage fees on sales and some pay buying also. 

given what has transpired the past couple years with the market most investors have a bunch of “paper loss” before they approach their base buy in .. lots to think about before making sudden moves now IMHO

I moved into Boeing hard a little to early.  I've lost 10K in the last 2 days.   It's going to sit and wait now. Glad I'm not close to retiring.

If I had more to move in I would be making a 2nd buy today.

I agree mostly. I've always kept my balance in the S&P500 and sometimes a portion in the Wilshire4500. Being a Fed Gov worker I use our Thrift Savings Program instead of a private 401k. One major benefit is we get 2 transfers per month free. Because of that, there are some strategy guides for moving money around between the stock and bond funds using the free transfers. I've been trying one of those this year.

I got lucky and had 100% of my balance in the Dow and transferred it into bonds just a couple days prior to the crash. So far since the market crashed, I've actually gained. My strategy called for going back into the Dow today but I'm holding off until the freefall stops at least. There will be some big gains to be had probably this summer.

BTW, from what I've read the market is crashing because manufacturing has stopped in China. They say the supply shortfall won't hit max for a few more weeks so the markets could keep falling for a few more weeks. I read the Dow could fall to 20,000.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C Paul Go said:

I moved into Boeing hard a little to early.  I've lost 10K in the last 2 days.   It's going to sit and wait now. Glad I'm not close to retiring.

If I had more to move in I would be making a 2nd buy today.

Approaching $30K lost...  :(

This is exactly what I have been waiting for.  I did a partial sell some time ago and I have been looking for a correction to buy back in.,  and yes, I think a forum for this stuff would be cool.

1 hour ago, skyking said:

I think a correction has been long overdue. I wouldn't get too anxious to buy back in it's not over yet.

I agree, I just don't know if this is how the correction was suppose to get started. My factory contacts in China are recommending I cancel all my travel here, even domestically.   I just don't know if I am ready to play in to the hype yet.    

Edited by jcasper

2 hours ago, jcasper said:

I agree, I just don't know if this is how the correction was suppose to get started. My factory contacts in China are recommending I cancel all my travel here, even domestically.   I just don't know if I am ready to play in to the hype yet.    

supposed to get started? That is implying some sort of artifice. The only influence that set up the correction was the fed. It  successfully propped the market up far beyond a natural state. 

This was really bound to happen and sooner than later.

I think everyone saw a crash coming, it was just an inflated market looking for an excuse, any excuse, to set back to reasonable levels. Remember, the Dow was only 16,000 just four years ago on the last election. 16k to 29k was just not sustainable in such a short term.

I think the next two weeks are going to see some big up days and some more big down days. The only thing I'm looking for is for the shockwave to settle down some. Then I'll probably throw everything into the C fund (S&P500) and hope to ride it upward.

I plan to retire in 6yrs buy can't pull out of TSP until 8 more years. I'm not sure we'll be back at record highs by that time or not. I've read that since the last decade was so good it's typically followed by a decade if mediocre. I've read the next 10yrs might only give 4% gains.

Im just gonna ride it out in an alphabet boy bunker.

See ya on the other side.

Screenshot_20200229-131438_Chrome.jpg

Big recovery today. I missed it though. I was sitting in bonds. I moved my money close of business today so the market will probably tank again tomorrow. Lol. 

2 hours ago, SMOKN05 said:

Big recovery today. I missed it though. I was sitting in bonds. I moved my money close of business today so the market will probably tank again tomorrow. Lol. 

That is exactly what would happen to me if I touched any of my stocks.

• Like 1

I just let it ride. I don't watch it at all it would drive me nuts! Like watching a auction I would just get sucked in and make bad decisions in the heat of the moment. 

Its a long haul and there will be mountain passes to go up and down. 

China sent it's factory workers back to work yesterday. Big up tic in the market.

Now we need Boeing and the FAA to put out some good news.

Back to the sub forum topic...

Should someone start a poll?

I think it's not a bad idea.
A lot of people will not want to share financial info but many can gain info from what is posted.
I personally have a Edward Jones financial advisor who I have 3 Roth IRA's with and a regular investment portfolio as well as my Boeing VIP investments. I have always felt that I needed to plan on not having any social security by the time I retired so my planning does not include social security into it.

• Like 1