BOMBER Board
Sign in to follow this  
Lock

Excursion with Alum Cargo Trailer

Picked up a low mileage (63k) V10 Excursion 4x4 to pull our 20' EzHauler (Mission) aluminum cargo trailer to race practices.  Trailer is ~2500 lbs, and then we add another ~2k in quads, fuel, gear, etc.  We've had this trailer for years now, and its been great.  Pulled it behind everything from a half ton crew cab Dodge 1500, up to our current Dodge 3500 dually.  Now it will primarily be used with the Excursion since my entire family is racing (we need the space).

Hooked everything up last weekend and drove to Eugene from Puyallup so the three kids could have a practice day.  Its definitely not a diesel when pulling the few longer grades on I5, but it worked well enough and gave us lots of room vs trying to stuff everyone in our truck cab.

But... the bigger trucks (semis, box trucks, even larger pickup trucks) would cause the trailer to "suck/pull" toward the lane with the passing vehicle, then push the trailer away from the passing vehicle almost as quickly.  This used to happen very gently with semi's only when I had the single rear wheel trucks, but never to this extent with the Excursion.  I almost have to correct the steering for the "pull" and then correct again for the "push away".   It almost feels like a different trailer back there when being passed.

Question - what can I do to reduce or eliminate this with the Excursion.  The Excursion doesn't have any sway bars, likely original shocks, etc, so I was thinking of air bags in the rear (it sagged a little bit even with this light load), sway bars F&R, and new shocks.  I'm new to the Excursions, so I've been reading up on them, and it sounds like they can use some rear spring upgrades (or air bags), but I haven't found much else on specific suggestions.  Other ideas I'm overlooking?  Would a little extra slop with the hitch insert cause this to be aggravated more than is normal?

Edited by Lock

I had to use a 4" rise hitch to get my trailer to sit level with airbags on.  I ended up going to a 20" rim with a 34" tall tire - no suspension lift.  I did this so I could use a 2" rise hitch and not have much tire flex while towing.  It really helped my trailer sway.  I have a 30' toyhauler so I know what you are talking about.

It took some testing to find the right backspacing to fit a tall tire that didn't stick out and also not rub on the springs at full lock.

I did put a curt sway control 17200 on and that took it all away.

Edited by ish

I have a 2002 Excursion 7.3 and tow a PJ 28' deckover trailer which weighs 5K lbs without anything on it. It tows real nice after doing some suspension upgrades (front X code springs, Bilstein shocks and air bags). Probably the biggest improvement I noticed was adding a rear Hellwig sway bar. They are adjustable for more or less roll stiffness which made it a good compromise for me. I have 285/75/16 load range E tires on it also. Your Excursion should have come factory with a front sway bar at the minimum but most likely no rear bar. Excursions are really heavy (mine weighs over 8K lbs empty) so any amount of improvement you do will be quite noticeable.

Might take a look at Anderson hitch /anti sway and load leveler set up also , I have one on my tow system /stinger + plus their set up I tow a 10k 32 ‘ travel trailer and have used the system on both the one ton Dually and now my new 3/4 .

on my trip home from Az a couple weeks ago I towed in very heavy winds (30 mph with gusts over 50) blowing from rear front and sides as the road is twisty through mountain passes ... about an hour south of Tonopah Nv. ( aka EBF ) the winds were making a huge dust storm at about 50 MPH . All it took was minor corrections with the wheel in that heavy winds. 

My new truck gas “factory tow package” with self leveling bags , old Dually was bagged and had factory sway bar. It Also had traction bars. 

I am am a believer in the Anderson system after that tow home as it was the longest distance and heaviest continued winds that I’ve towed in in a long long time

Thanks for al the feedback!  Going to start with new Bilstein shocks and a Hellwig rear sway bar, and we'll see how it does from there.  This a pretty light trailer, but does catch the wind so we'll see if this works well enough, or if I need to add sway control with this choice of tow rig.  Thanks again!