BOMBER Board
skyking

Modernizing the 2007

I thought it would be better to put this in a new thread out of the engine section :)

Back to work on the truck, Shane has been helping me with some projects while I was in the sling. Thank you Shane!

He found the rear leak to be the back window. I will be taking it to his recommended shop. I have no use for the slider so I will go with a solid window.

He replaced the driver's window regulator, fixed broken wires on the left rear door, heater control and dash lights, and a whole laundry list of things.

We will be:

remounting the  Smarty Touch control box.

replacing the dash radio bezel, and installing a new double DIN multimedia receiver with car play and android auto.

Installing a mic for hands-free.

Thanks to Mark ( dieselbound ), I will be adding a built in phone dock in the lower dash slot. He showed me the magnetic USB adapters and his installation in one of his VWs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WPSMN38/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will mount some rails in there at an angle down, and put the wire through a hole at the front of the pocket. Slide the phone in and it will connect magnetically and fire up Android Auto on the receiver above. Now I get to have modern Nav from the phone, a back up camera, all the goodies of a newer rig. Put the firewire adapter in a phone and it will do Apple Carplay.  

back up camera, LED back up lights under the bumper on a switch, a disconnect for the factory back ups (  I really don't like looking at the white front of my 5th wheel when backing up :) )

looked into a maestro rr integration unit to put gauges and things on the receiver, but it is either one or the other with the smarty touch :( One OBD device or the other.

I have EGT through the Smarty, so I don't want to lose that. 

I tried one of the magnetic USB plugs in my Dodge and also the F150 for CarPlay. They worked great for about a week then I started losing connection with CarPlay at random. Finally it got to where it wouldn’t connect at all. I still us the magnet USB for charging my IPad but for communication I had huge issues. YMMV.

• Like 1

I opted for the Kenwood 9905.

It has a fantastic HD display, and I will set up a wireless adapter to a camera at the back of the 5th wheel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0755W578J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will mount the receiver for the camera in the dash next to the radio, and the transmitter will be a straight shot through the back window to the fiberglass front of the 5th wheel. I will run a hard wire from there to a camera in the back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074P45P7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking at that video above, it looks pretty easy to tap the camera button and select the "front" camera for the trailer, and I will have a license plate camera for the truck itself on the rear channel.

I will have some fun figuring out power to the backup camera, because I do want to be able to turn off those pesky stock lights when backing the trailer in the dark.

8 minutes ago, Torque Monkey said:

I tried one of the magnetic USB plugs in my Dodge and also the F150 for CarPlay. They worked great for about a week then I started losing connection with CarPlay at random. Finally it got to where it wouldn’t connect at all. I still us the magnet USB for charging my IPad but for communication I had huge issues. YMMV.

what brand/style did you use? I am trying the cafele round ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Charger-Bradied-Charging-Compatible/dp/B07WPSMN38/ref=sr_1_7?crid=48OAHG4OQB7V&keywords=cafele+magnetic+charging+cable&qid=1581619933&sprefix=cafele+%2Caps%2C266&sr=8-7

So far I have only invested in one of those cables and a set of 3 spare USB-C ends. If the rectangular/oval style is more reliable, I will try that. I can arrange the cable in that orientation easily enough. 

What is the fun in that? :D

I probably have to use USB connection to get the full Android auto. It may work wirelessly on my phone but likely not. 

what brand/style did you use? I am trying the cafele round ones.
https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Charger-Bradied-Charging-Compatible/dp/B07WPSMN38/ref=sr_1_7?crid=48OAHG4OQB7V&keywords=cafele+magnetic+charging+cable&qid=1581619933&sprefix=cafele+%2Caps%2C266&sr=8-7

So far I have only invested in one of those cables and a set of 3 spare USB-C ends. If the rectangular/oval style is more reliable, I will try that. I can arrange the cable in that orientation easily enough. 

The one I used was kind of a cheap one. If the one you are looking into works I will try it again. It was really nice to just throw the phone in the center console and have it basically hook itself up.

The USB is needed to run Google Maps. It is all I used in both trucks for navigation. The satellite view is awesome. Also so the USB is needed for voice to text.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk