BOMBER Board
Bob V

Would you tune a newer truck?

So there are more and more of us with newer trucks.

How meny of you would do major, or minor tunes or modifications?

The reason I ask is

1, delete tuners are hard to find now 

2. Stock power is now at what WAS a tuned truck

3. The drivability of the new trucks are nice in stock form.

4. We are all getting older, reliability and ease of maintenance seem to be higher priorities now.

How meny of you. If you did it all over, would go with twin Turbos again?

I would love to get a delete tune for my 2018 Ford, but would be completly happy with the same power as it has now. As far as I know its extreamly difficult to get delete tunes now.

You need to know someone, and they need to know you.

I also dont have, or need, a pyrometer,  so just drive and no worries. 

Lately is seems the aftermaket folks are scrambling to find stuff to sell for the new trucks, I just wonder is the Diesel power aftermaket taking a big hit right now?

I’m stock and staying stock power with some creature comfort add on only,  like the 43 gallon bed tank recently installed . 

The new new ones have plenty of power IMHO perfect towers now . I’m at 10,xxx miles now and 75+ % of those are towing.

I guess it really matters how far you fall power wise.

I honestly don't know how Gary is doing it unless he never turned on all the power his old truck had.  Plus the number of days Gary last stock board still hasn't been won. J/K

If you're daily driving something that is Twin Turbo and 500 plus horsepower.

The switch was just to great for me. So I went to EFI Tuning and Injectors and a little bigger single to cover those two mods.  I'm happy again. 

When it's all on this truck is over 500 is my guess.  With it all off I'd guess 320 ish.   That's what worked for me.

You're right it's only getting harder to do so if your thinking about it, the clock is ticking.

Stock power on my 2011. 70K on the clock. Like Gary, mostly towing heavy. My first 68RFE didn't care too much for that combo.🤔

the only reason i tell customers too tune it is if a very expensive piece of exhaust fails and needs to be replaced. at that point i would tune to the new piece of pipe if there is product available

20 minutes ago, stroketeck said:

the only reason i tell customers too tune it is if a very expensive piece of exhaust fails and needs to be replaced. at that point i would tune to the new piece of pipe if there is product available

^This.

• Like 1

But Dave here is the new problem for US customers, those options are getting tougher and tougher with what the EPA is doing down here.

3 minutes ago, C Paul Go said:

But Dave here is the new problem for US customers, those options are getting tougher and tougher with what the EPA is doing down here.

correct that is why i said if said tuner is available

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stroketeck said:

correct that is why i said if said tuner is available

Does anyone know if you have the right connections,  you can still get a delete tune.

8 minutes ago, Bob V said:

Does anyone know if you have the right connections,  you can still get a delete tune.

Dangerous question to ask in an open forum I think. LOL!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, C Paul Go said:

I honestly don't know how Gary is doing it unless he never turned on all the power his old truck had.

Paul . Ben years since full power was turned on , just injectors n turbos 

mostly at higher altitudes it’s next to impossible to drive reasonably smoke free or even close to that. Power adders off and egg shell driving nets you a reasonably clean drive .. any throttle before boost starts it nasty up here. ‘Course now not an issue as that truck is sitting in my driveway waiting for me to decide what I’m going to do with it 🥴 😏

so now driving with 380 Hp factory and a automatic tranny it has more power that what I’ve been driving with so now I have some power lol all good type . 

my 17 is stock. all of my previous trucks were not.. if and when the expensive parts fail, they will fall off... the power it makes is as much or more than my 2005 with the tow tune.  

For me the push was not having a light tell me to drive for an hour to turn off as far as towing and power it’s mild and has all I need I think it’s set on 60 hp 

As a person who likes boost and the smile factor with the power of the new trucks I would keep the power stock and probably change the muffler to give it just a little better sound. All you old farts with news trucks maybe you should just go fishing and enjoy the time your not working on your trucks!

The newer the trucks the less I see the benefit of the old style bombs.

my 07 6.7 responded the best to deletes. Better fuel economy and power.

the ‘12 pre def truck didn’t respond much for economy but it did benefit from the reduced EGR in my opinion.

The ‘16 came to a choice of $8k to replace the factory emissions equipment or $2k to delete.

Like Dave said, deletes would be for this kind of situation.

There are ways of improving upon the new rams while leaving the emissions equipment intact if the stock power isn’t enough.

They have addressed a better air intake, different injectors and events, block strengthening etc.

Stock is good til the emissions stuff craps out.

Even then with how stuff is with usa epa, that loophole is closing.

Soon we’ll be bombing electric rides anyway.

1 hour ago, Scotty_ said:

the ‘12 pre def truck didn’t respond much for economy but it did benefit from the reduced EGR in my opinion.

The ‘16 came to a choice of $8k to replace the factory emissions equipment or $2k to delete.

There are ways of improving upon the new rams while leaving the emissions equipment intact if the stock power isn’t enough.

They have addressed a better air intake, different injectors and events, block strengthening etc.

I’ve heard that a BOMBed Tesla is impressive. No joking. Calibrated Power Solutions has been playing with them for a bit now. 

100% power , no tire spin acceleration , what’s not to like except battery charge cycle /time. 

Some very interesting videos out there of the electric v/s gas power abilities 

The battery life is one of the major areas they are tuning for. I guess the hard part was traction. Or lack of it anyhow. 

On 2/7/2020 at 6:24 AM, stroketeck said:

3 hours ago, Scotty_ said:

You Canadians are lucky! You can play with your trucks and not go to jail for it. 

If a guy in the states used the words customer and tunes on new trucks they would have black helicopters flying over their shop in minutes 

• Like 1

If ya wanna stay off the radar, tune ot yourself. I have tuned my subi...and its a whole lot more complicated than a diesel.

Just make small tweaks, and data log a lot.

• Like 1

I am very happy with my new truck.

No tunes or power upgrades.

handling options and creature comfort,and better lighting so far.

Heading out for Alberta at 5 a.m. with the tandem car hauler in  tow   to get the CTS.

So far I have been very happy with the power and performance. Under some crappy situations 

and lousy road conditions.

All aspects of the new truck have worked pretty good so far. Haven’t got squirrelly too often on the snowy roads through the mountains.

Managed to keep both units pointing the same general direction most of the time. 🥳🤓😎

What handling options did you do/get ? (Sorry if I read and don’t remember) 

safe travels On trip 

I keep reading when Parts Fail they will fall off.. I think you guys are missing what's being pointed out here.

The Parts and the Tuning may not be available for that option.

What Paul said!