BOMBER Board

Well my son and I went to a drift day at the local track and as I was watching the gears in my head started to turn. My son is very interested in learning how. Even if drifting goes against everything I have learned in road racing the setup is very familiar. With the wide variety of car out there it was easy for me to pickup on what was working and what wasn't. The BMW's have the advantage in the front suspension geometry, they flat out work. The Nissan and Infinity are both a close second in setup. There was a C6 Vette that was very impressive with his speed and control and the ease that he was able to initiate the drift with his right foot and not a handbrake. So I have some ideas rolling around in my head on a cheap drift car to play with and see just how interested my son is. He's not afraid to get his hands dirty so I guess we will see where this goes. I'm not going to lie but it looks like a lot of fun.

Edited by livingez_123

Tire budget is a deal breaker to most youngsters I’d guess

Any hobby the boy latches on to that can be quality time with the old man is worth running with Robert. Good on ya for going along with it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Woodenhead said:

Any hobby the boy latches on to that can be quality time with the old man is worth running with Robert. Good on ya for going along with it. 

Very much this!! ^^^ I've never cared for the sport of drifting but I agree, if you like cars and he likes cars, that's a great way to enjoy them together! 

It always seemed to me that is what you do if you're no good at drag racing or road racing, you just burn the tires and showoff. But I guess organized drifting has really taken the art of sliding corners to a whole new level. One thing is does do though is teach excellent car control and that's always a good thing! 

I'm not to worried about tires Gary, I have 3 friends that own tire stores! 

One issue I do see is that a daily driver doesn't make a good drive car. It's very difficult to have a compromise with the alignment settings. I think I have enough used stuff to put something together that should be good enough to test the waters with. I already have a few cars picked out that should make for a good base to begin with. I have a couple of SBC engines, a good Muncie 4spd, a 12 bolt GM and a 9" Ford rear end, a used 4 link setup and some coilovers for it. So I think I have a good head start for us.

wow, live move in the fast lane. I remember your  boy when they were still short line two sons,   enjoy your time together, i final home and both boys are off in their own life one the father of two and other a very serious relationship developing. I see a ring in his future.