BOMBER Board
carl20320

Another tdi... minus the Bison hole

Insurance money picked up this donor for Ivan's golf.  It runs and drives... if you don't mind the axle noise.  I think the passenger side axle is VERY loose.  I trailered it back.

265a2c0aa01043d8c7209e8d81e98aec.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Edited by carl20320
  • Like 1

2004 MK4 Golf with PD motor.  348K miles.

College student that says there were some stripped bolts on the transmission?  Mechanic told him $400 to fix but a grand in his pocket was worth more than spending the money to get the car operational.  I think it is more than stripped bolts... unless it is stripped axle bolts.   There wee also 2 almost empty cans of brake fluid in the car as well.  I guess it could be really worn brakes causing the nose but the rotors look smooth.

Edited by carl20320

Wow! $400.00 to change an axle output flange.... 

I have no idea if that is what it really is.  The sound is just very familiar from Anacortes last summer. :right:

I was just happy it started and was able to be driven up on the trailer instead of having to use the come-along.

Found out from the previous owner what the mechanic told him the problem was.  Based off what the top half of the bolt looks like, someone twisted off one of the transmission mount bolts.

6 hours ago, carl20320 said:

Found out from the previous owner what the mechanic told him the problem was.  Based off what the top half of the bolt looks like, someone twisted off one of the transmission mount bolts.

I had a couple transmission mounting bolts break on Paige’s Golf. Pretty easy to fix.

People trying to re-use one time to stretch bolts gets expensive to fix when they break 

Nice ride. 

Edited by yogi_160
  • Like 1

Did a little investigating this evening, since it was not raining. Found the issue he was talking about. 2390330387a4a68542c5413bf05e94e9.jpg

Edited by carl20320

And i want that far off about the loose axle sound. It turns out with the broke mount bolts, the axle flange nuts were hitting on the control arm. See how nice and shiny they are?

4e14563c12632368481dfbc50777bb9e.jpg

Edited by carl20320

On 1/28/2020 at 9:41 PM, yogi_160 said:
Looks like easy fix

We shall see. SWMBO has set a limit on how much i can spend since we spent more on Ivan's golf than we paid for it. I can spend whatever i sell our 94 Acura Integra for PLUS $500.

Edited by carl20320

10 minutes ago, carl20320 said:

We're shall see. SWMBO has set a limit on how much i can spend since we spent more on Ivan's golf than we paid for it. I can spend whatever i sell our 94 Acura Integra for PLUS $500.

Try left twist drill bit or tack a nut on should comes right out

• Like 1

Try left twist drill bit or tack a nut on should comes right out
Planning on the left twist drill bit. I just so happened to have pulled my set out last week before even knew about this car! Coincidence?
Forgot i even had them.

Motor mount bolts, definitely one time use! And with the engine sitting at that angle will eat the inside CV joint. The sad thing is, I tossed 2 sets of MK IV axles in the scrap pile because I didn't plan on going back to the older VW's I also got rid of  2 5spds worth of parts.

The only driving this thing has seen is up on a trailer and off the trailer and very slowly backed up to where it is sitting.

Well, struck out with the left twist drill bits.  On to plan B, whatever that is.  Sitting at work right now so not working on it.

I got an extractor set that should take those right out. Also soak them down with some penetrating oil first. Who knows how long they have been in there. If that doesn’t work I have a welder....

• Like 1

This is on the other car. I'm looking to get a 2nd working vehicle for cheap.

Edited by carl20320

Well, got the back bolt out without any trouble. Front one, no such luck.  On to plan C.  Wasn't really something that could have a nut welded on as it was broke off down in the bracket.Took the bracket off and will be worked on off of the car.  Plan "C" is actually plan "Ben". :beer2:

Edited by carl20320