BOMBER Board
Torque Monkey

Frank is not well...

Frank is my Daughter’s 2003 Jetta wagon. I have no idea why his name is Frank, I’ve just been told that is what it is. I’m starting to think Frank is an A-hole. I have been working on this car pretty much nonstop since she got it.

Long story short, I can’t stop it from overheating. Also there is no hot water getting to the heater core. I have felt the hoses and know there isn’t any flow. I was hoping it was thermostat. Installed a new one and no dice. Still overheating and no water flow. I’m thinking it is something haywire with the water pump. Makes me insane because I changed it with a new one not long ago. 

I looking for any other ideas if you guys have them. If not, I will dive in and pull the pump....again.🙄

Pull heater lines blow through core might be plugged someone may have filled it with stop leak 

Here's a flushing tool I saw someone using - I was going to buy one to flush out the core on my 2nd gen - but I sold it instead

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6043-Blast-Vac-Multipurpose-Cleaning/dp/B000F5ECRW/ref=sr_1_30?keywords=air+radiator+cleaner&qid=1579680802&sr=8-30

• Like 1

Did you try the vacuum tool to refill the coolant?

I have hear d that there are a lot of newer vehicles need to refill this way as there is no way to "burp" out the air pockets.

I have one if you dont.

• Like 1

Don't blow through the heater core with air!!! You will certainly be replacing it if you do, they are very weak and prob to leaking and plugging up. They are also not very fun to change, I've done 3 and have it down to under 5hrs. I have seen brand new water pumps with a loose impeller, plastic ones are the worse. I know you just did the head on it, what brand of gasket did you use? Also they don't like being overheated, it will take the HG out in a hurry. A vacuum radiator filling tool is a must on VW's Are you getting any coolant flow across the radiator? Disconnect the small bypass hose from the reservoir and see if you have a steady stream of coolant flowing, if not check to see if the fitting on the head isn't blocked. 

Thanks for the reply Guys. The reason I am leaning toward the water pump is that even when over heating the bottom radiator hose is cold to the touch but the upper is hot/warm. I could see air being caught in the heater core and that was my first suspicion. I just can't see the radiator being air locked. That doesn't mean it isn't though.

Robert, I am not sure of the fittings you are describing but I did pull the vent line from the top of the EGR cooler and I was getting a small trickle of water out of it with the engine running. I chalked it up to thermal expansion. It certainly wasn't a flow. But it did tell me there is water in the EGR cooler and since the heater core is next inline I figured it had to have something in it. As far as I can tell water just isn't moving.

I need to replace the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets anyhow (because I made a very stupid mistake I don't want to talk about). The intake gasket is leaking. I should just bite the bullet and pull the water pump to see for sure. I am going to throw a small but spirited temper tantrum if that pump let go....

6 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

... I am going to throw a small but spirited temper tantrum if that pump let go....

If I bring the beer, can I watch? :shooter:      :beer2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, carl20320 said:

Absolutely!

Engage temper tantrum!

607498945a65944c714e0463c4667508.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 hours ago, carl20320 said:

I'll provide the beer...

Is that one of those fuel saving water pumps?  Less drag on the motor?

1 hour ago, Big Russ said:

Is that one of those fuel saving water pumps?  Less drag on the motor?

It saves even more fuel because you get to walk instead.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Woodenhead said:

That sucks. Isn’t pulling the water pump pretty much the same effort as the timing belt? 

Yes.👎🏻

I picked up everything to do the timing belt again, from Cascade German. The new water pump has a metal impeller.

This is the timing belt installed.

0377471ce7d4a1c9e96f667132731820.jpg

This is where I stopped tonight.

5137981c83d26b3a5a949130ac333b8e.jpg

I need to pull the intake and exhaust manifolds tomorrow so I can fix a boost leak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

and then Frank will be happy?

4 hours ago, livingez_123 said:

Do you get one with the stamped metal impeller that looks like a alternator fan?

Is that the good one??

Just curious where you sourced the previous parts ? Sucks glad you found the problem. I’ve done timing 3 times on Jetta once for belt twice for camshaft sometime in the next year it will be due again good thing it’s easy job

The new impeller is stamped steel. I don’t really know if it is any better but it did have a certified sticker on the pump.... so that made me feel better.🤣

I am not entirely sure where the parts came from for the last timing belt. Mostly I was buying parts from IDparts but their shipping takes way to long. Could be I bought that kit off Ebay. I figured it was OK because it wasn’t a plastic impeller (I checked) and it was a Continental belt. Oh well.

Well at least you got some more timing belt practice.

• Like 1

He’s all fixed and back together now. I am so happy to have that behind me.

I checked. There was almost exactly 4000 miles on the water pump that failed.

• Like 1

I worked for a guy through high school, he had the Arco station and tire store in Selah. I listened to what he had to say, and it worked out one time. My sister was given a 66 Rambler American, the only caveat was it was overheating and they tried everything. I went to pick it up with 10 gallons of water and I'd stop and fill the jugs up, driving it from Stanwood down to Tacoma. I had plenty of time to think and I remembered when Gary told me that sometimes those American Motors had plastic impellers on the water pump, and they would just fall off. 

I got home took off the water pump, and there it sat :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skyking said:

I worked for a guy through high school, he had the Arco station and tire store in Selah. I listened to what he had to say, and it worked out one time. My sister was given a 66 Rambler American, the only caveat was it was overheating and they tried everything. I went to pick it up with 10 gallons of water and I'd stop and fill the jugs up, driving it from Stanwood down to Tacoma. I had plenty of time to think and I remembered when Gary told me that sometimes those American Motors had plastic impellers on the water pump, and they would just fall off. 

I got home took off the water pump, and there it sat :)

That water pump got your sister a free car! 😎

• Like 1