EPA emissions tampering violations

SMOKN05

3 hours ago, C Paul Go said:

The guy I bought my boat from was Touched by Source Automotive fines.  His truck was required to be returned to stock and had to be inspected.

Or else what? The only way I can see the EPA being able to do anything legally is deny the vehicle registration without proof it is compliant. How can they have any authority to do anything with strictly off-road use vehicles? 

If I got a letter from the EPA I'd be tempted to reply saying to go F themselves. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SMOKN05 said:

Or else what? The only way I can see the EPA being able to do anything legally is deny the vehicle registration without proof it is compliant. How can they have any authority to do anything with strictly off-road use vehicles? 

If I got a letter from the EPA I'd be tempted to reply saying to go F themselves. 

That's exactly what they did, no tags until he proved all items had been put back in. He wasn't alone. I guess there was a list of owners.

13 minutes ago, C Paul Go said:

That's exactly what they did, no tags until he proved all items had been put back in. He wasn't alone. I guess there was a list of owners.

30 something if I recall correctly. The .Gov wanted to take Bill away in hand cuffs.....

31 minutes ago, C Paul Go said:

I didn't know it went that far.  I didn't know anything about it until talking to the previous owner of my boat.  It was pretty rough on the owners of the rigs also.

Yes, they were required to replace any missing equipment.. at cost. No profit could be made for returning the trucks back to their original state. It cost Source time and the owners parts. Some Gestapo tactics if you ask me...

• Like 1

Did the EPA confiscate all of the parts they made the owners remove? I don't see how they could, it's not against the law to own any of that, you just can't use it on the public streets. Gestapo tactics indeed. Don't forget, a lot of Gestapo got shot and killed trying to "do their duty" also. Just saying. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jcasper said:

Wow, I had never heard that.    I guess that may be why Bill left?    

So did the value of my old 04.5 just go down a bunch.  It's just a driveway place holder anymore.   

I don’t think so. But I don’t know.

7 minutes ago, C Paul Go said:

No more tests in Washington..

and with that being said, how is the EPA catching folks unless they have a complaint about a coal roller?  I'm more than happy to keep the 2018 compliant until the warranty period is up, but as soon as one of those $600 NOX sensors takes a dump, I'll find it hard to keep the sawzall away from it.  Especially if it's hard to get caught.  

EDIT:  $425 for a Dorman NOX Sensor on Rockauto...  The SCR is $1300 and the DPF is $1200 to 2 large..

20 minutes ago, Big Russ said:

and with that being said, how is the EPA catching folks unless they have a complaint about a coal roller?  I'm more than happy to keep the 2018 compliant until the warranty period is up, but as soon as one of those $600 NOX sensors takes a dump, I'll find it hard to keep the sawzall away from it.  Especially if it's hard to get caught.  

EDIT:  $425 for a Dorman NOX Sensor on Rockauto...  The SCR is $1300 and the DPF is $1200 to 2 large..

Their idea is to get rid of the parts available to get rid of the factory parts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C Paul Go said:

Their idea is to get rid of the parts available to get rid of the factory parts.

Could be the reason for the "Godzilla" motor too...  A big gasser with copious amounts of torque and simpler emissions can fulfill a similar mission to it's diesel counterpart while being cheaper to produce and with a higher profit while the retail price is lower for the consumer..

I bet GM and Chrysler/Fiat follow suit soon... New bigblock anyone??

On 1/17/2020 at 1:41 PM, Big Russ said:

Had to replace the downstream NOX sensor a couple months ago.  TIme and need were critical so I had a dealer do it.  Big $$$ bill.  Learned my lesson and have resources to get it done myself now.  Can't have any issues as we have state inspections here in Massachusetts so any warning light or anything will get a failure.  Still loving the truck so I'm not planning any changes for a long time.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

More violation crackdowns. https://speedsociety.com/jiffy-lube-mechanics-facing-charges-for-tampering-with-state-inspections/

I'm sure they'll track down the vehicle owners and try to pin them on it as well. If they came after me for violations I'd be standing in front of my car with a blower sticking out of the hood like this, 

FB_IMG_1574613274762.jpg.02f6cc8ec2252c4948db7c6c855b271d.jpg

On 1/16/2020 at 11:57 AM, jcasper said:

Wow, I had never heard that.    I guess that may be why Bill left?    

So did the value of my old 04.5 just go down a bunch.  It's just a driveway place holder anymore.   

No, thats not why Bill left. He has his own reasons.

However, the asshat that did turn them in will forever be in my memory as a complete turd (hope yer reading this).

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.