How bad are the autos?

6 minutes ago, skyking said:

From the post, it looks like the whole transmission was replaced by vw and likely is the updated mechatronics. Nice car! I know you could use the space.

I emailed the guy to see what he could tell me about the tranny. I’m not in a rush but I’m going to need a bigger vehicle by summer. I thought I could get more time out of the Jetta but the boys genetics seem to say otherwise. 

• Like 2

Thats a nice looking car, 

Posted (edited)

Been getting educated on these and it looks like the ‘05 Passats don’t have a DSG tranny. They have a 5 speed auto built by ZF called a zf5hp19. They do have some issues like most autos. I’m trying to figure how how much a reman box would be so I can factor that in here. 

A bit of reading if you’re interested...

http://kansascitytdi.com/01v-zf5hp19-faq/#

That being said, they did build a Passat wagon up till ‘09 I think. Oh how I’d love to find one of those. I saw one for $10k about 2,300 miles away which doesn’t seem too unreasonable but I’ll have to keep saving my pennies. 

Edited by Woodenhead

I had a 05 Passat tdi I was less than impressed by the car the auto worked fine I couldn’t do better than 34 mpg on the same commute the Jetta gets 40 it was a difficult car to work on I really like the 2013 Passat we have it’s a good car gets between 38-42 depending and so much bigger than Jetta 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, marksmith said:

Deals can be had on 13-15 Jetta wagons. I bought mine for 7200 off a dealer lot in marysville 

68000 miles. 

Admittedly it’s been a long time since I sat in a newer Jetta. Is the interior space significantly more than my ‘02? Can you fit adults in the front and back seats comfortably? 
Maybe I need to include newer sport wagons in my search. 

I’d compare newer Jetta to older Passat models. If front seat people are courteous, a few notches forward, my rotund butt is comfortable enough. 

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, GTroyer said:

YaButttt your only one foot one inch 😁 

But my roundness makes me an ogre sized person vs you Sasquatch built people. 

• Haha 1

I’m seeing several newer Jetta Sportwagon TDI autos out there for under 10k without a lot of miles. Just like you said Mark. I guess I’ll need to find one on a lot somewhere and test fit the family in it. 

I get 38-39 mpg. They are tons roomier than the 02 Jetta wagon Lisa had.  We like them so much there's two in the stable.  A 13 and a 14.

54 minutes ago, marksmith said:

I get 38-39 mpg. They are tons roomier than the 02 Jetta wagon Lisa had.  We like them so much there's two in the stable.  A 13 and a 14.

That sounds promising. 
I’m 5’11” and operate with my seat all the way back making the seat behind me useless. My 13 year old is 5’9” and doesn’t appear to be slowing down. When he’s in the passenger seat and junior is in the back seat, his knees are against the dash when they finally finish negotiating the seat position. 

I need to find a local sport wagon and stuff everyone in it. 

Further research has shown the ‘06 and newer Passat wagons don’t seem to be available with a diesel. 

Seems these are all for sale on the West side but this one is in my hood(ish).  Anything in particular I should be aware of before looking at a '13 Sportwagon?  It looks like this would be a dieselgate care so is there something in particular I should know about that?  With just shy of 100k I'm sure it'll need a timing belt as there no mention of that in the ad.

It has a rebuilt title as well which doesn't seem to be reflected in the price so I'm not sure if I should just run away from that situation all together.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/four-lakes-2013-vw-jetta-tdi/7261223998.html

Rebuilt title would be a deal breaker. 

Most diesel gate cars have a much extended warranty. Timing belts are 120k intervals. 

What to watch for. Drive it. Cold to operating temperature pay attention to how the trans shifts. If it hiccups or shudders, pass on it. Make sure there's no fluid leakage under hood. That's basically it. 

39 minutes ago, Woodenhead said:

Solid info.  Thanks fellas.  I'd be willing to bet that the rebuilt title negates any warranty.  I might call the guy just to see what he has to say but in the end I'll probably just keep hiding in the weeds and see what else comes up.

It would be interesting to call the dealer if they updated after the rebuilt title they may have to cover. Also be interesting to find out why it’s rebuilt I know in Utah it’s value based example is you hit a deer lose oil and it kills motor and the only real damage to the car is radiator but the accident exceeds the value. 
also most of the time hail damage will total a vehicle due to complete repair and repaint where vehicle had no hard core damage 

1 hour ago, J Dansie said:

It would be interesting to call the dealer if they updated after the rebuilt title they may have to cover. Also be interesting to find out why it’s rebuilt I know in Utah it’s value based example is you hit a deer lose oil and it kills motor and the only real damage to the car is radiator but the accident exceeds the value. 
also most of the time hail damage will total a vehicle due to complete repair and repaint where vehicle had no hard core damage 

The ad says total due to rear impact damage 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, J Dansie said:

Says it had rear ended damage so I’m guessing it’s like you said, repair cost vs. value. 

20 minutes ago, Woodenhead said:

Says it had rear ended damage so I’m guessing it’s like you said, repair cost vs. value. 

My bad I commented without reading add 

I remember buying a totaled car for $500 needed bumper and taillights and the trunk was dented it was just to old to fix. 
I would definitely want a big discount on newer car for rebuilt title beings it can effect insurance and resale in future 

• Like 1