BOMBER Board
Big Russ

Pre-Fill the oil filter?

I've never swung that way....  In my opinion, filling a filter through the center hole is asking for trouble because thats where the filtered oil comes out.  

Running without oil pressure for very few seconds doesnt worry me in the least.  

What are your thoughts?

If it's a vertical and the fill is at the top I fill. If its horizontal or angled I do not fill

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Didnt Hoss loose and engine due to a piece of foil in a squirter?  That was always my reason for a dry start.  

I have always partially filled them. The couple of seconds without lube pressure will not hurt anything. At least if it was recently ran before draining the oil. 

But I don feel the need to top them off and make a mess. I just like to get some oil in the media for that first start.

Dave 

And why are you changing oil? Didn't you get lifetime pills filter changes when you bought that thing? :)

Dave

Way back in the 80s when there where a FEW turbocharged gas engine the OEM wanted the oil filter pre filled.

Reason given was so the turbo did not stave for oil at start up, so I always prefilled the filters of turbocharged engines.

As fat as most regular engines, a few second to get oil pressure is not a problem, any engine tfst has been ran in the last week or so will have a good ammount on oil on everything that moves.

If the engine has been sitting for months, it might not have oil everywhere it should be

I pour oil in the filter but I don't just pour into the center hole, I try to slowly pour it in the outer holes and let it seep in. I don't worry about filling it, I just get 1/2qt or so into it so it's not dry. 

I don't think dry starts are going to hurt it but I don't think putting some oil in the filter will hurt anything either. I personally don't feel there is any chance of foil or anything getting into the filter from filling it. No greater chance than say dirt or debris getting in the filter accidentally while I'm raising the filter into position in the engine bay. 

I have always been careful to remove all the foil seal from oil containers not  just poke a hole in them. 
I always fill the filter  about 3/4 full and keep it clean...

I also  clean the entire area around the filter before starting and filter change.

Clean like an operating theatre!

I’ve never had an oil related failure in many years of Diesel engine vehicles.

For the truck I pour oil in the filter through the center hole. I’m usually working from a 55 gallon drum and just pump it into a clean container first. If I’m working from cans I do the same but I’m always mindful of the foil. It just bugs me picturing the turbo spinning for a few seconds with no oil flow.

I was gonna say I’ve never heard of a failure from pre-full contamination, the you mentioned Hoss . Didn’t know that.

I don’t pre-fill any of the other oil filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Fishin2Deep4U said:

And why are you changing oil? Didn't you get lifetime pills filter changes when you bought that thing? :)

Dave

I'm not changing the oil, no need until February.  (Every 6mo/15Kmiles)

Replace the engine oil and oil filter every 15,000 miles
(24,000 km) or six months, or sooner if prompted by the
oil change indicator system. Under no circumstances
should oil change intervals exceed 15,000 miles
(24,000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.

And I'm taking it to the stealer (Tacoma Dodge) to have it done - they offer 6 oil changes for $269 - I cant do it for that price.

I was just starting a conversation on maintenance.  

I generally prefill in center hole never worried about contamination with me doing it having low paid low experience person do it kinda scares me I try to do all my own work 

12 hours ago, Big Russ said:

Didnt Hoss loose and engine due to a piece of foil in a squirter?  That was always my reason for a dry start.  

I never found foil in a piston cooling jet. 

What was found was what looked like some type or gasket material (and I only say gasket material because of its black and orange color) It was so small I really have no idea what it was but it was not foil from a oil jug. 

6 hours ago, Big Russ said:

I'm not changing the oil, no need until February.  (Every 6mo/15Kmiles)

Replace the engine oil and oil filter every 15,000 miles
(24,000 km) or six months, or sooner if prompted by the
oil change indicator system. Under no circumstances
should oil change intervals exceed 15,000 miles
(24,000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.

And I'm taking it to the stealer (Tacoma Dodge) to have it done - they offer 6 oil changes for $269 - I cant do it for that price.

I was just starting a conversation on maintenance.  

To add a little to the conversation I HATE that 15,000 between oil changes! I still change my oil every 5000 miles in the truck and at 220,000 miles on the jetta I change it every 5000 not the 10,000 they say as well. Just piece of mind and cheap insurance in my opinion. 

i dont pre fill.  when taking an engine apart even after it has sat for months, there is still oil in the bearings. a few seconds of crank/run without pressure doesnt hurt anything IMHO.  and Hoss  i am struggling with the length between changes on my 17. im close to 8k now since i bought it.  OTR trucks go alot more between changes and its the same oil...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HOSS said:

I never found foil in a piston cooling jet. 

What was found was what looked like some type or gasket material (and I only say gasket material because of its black and orange color) It was so small I really have no idea what it was but it was not foil from a oil jug. 

My bad - getting old sucks, my memory is not what it used to be.

But dropping something into the wrong side of the oil filter is a real issue that could happen.  

2 hours ago, HOSS said:

To add a little to the conversation I HATE that 15,000 between oil changes! I still change my oil every 5000 miles in the truck and at 220,000 miles on the jetta I change it every 5000 not the 10,000 they say as well. Just piece of mind and cheap insurance in my opinion. 

Thats funny, when I told the dealer that this truck wouldnt get more than 6K miles a year, the service guy told me it still needed an oil change every 6 months.  I'm not sure why, but I'll do it during the warranty period.  

I pre-fill when I can. I am always mindful of the foil. I have heard horror stories.

I prefill my coffee mug before any fluids/filters are touched.

One thing I always do is dab some oil on the filter ring so it isn’t as difficult to remove as one that’s put on dry.

When I was rolling down the highway with 8-12k miles/month, I would change the oil every 15k miles.

It made sense after several Blackstone tests.

They said the oil had at least another 7k run life but 15k worked for me.

15w40 rotella dino

• Like 1

I prefill, always have... It was just what the old timers showed me when working on tractors and otr trucks. Never understood why light vehicles had such short oil change cycles

Every one of my vehicles sees 90-95% highway miles and I put on a lot of miles. My truck gets oil, filter and fuel filter at 10k miles. The Dart goes until the oil life indicator says to change it, I don't care how many miles or how old it is, its usually around 10k. The Challenger has to be 6mo/6k miles for warranty. I usually do it at 5k miles and that sometimes only takes weeks. The jeep gets oil and a filter once every 2-3yrs. :lol: At 265k miles and considering the vehicle is worth less than what a case of oil for my Challenger costs, I simply don't care about it. I'll drive it until it breaks then tow it to a scrap yard.

They have a handy wood filter stand on the Derrick cranes, to stand up and prefill oil and fuel filters. It has a holesaw hole for every size. 

9 hours ago, leadfoot067 said:

i dont pre fill.  when taking an engine apart even after it has sat for months, there is still oil in the bearings. a few seconds of crank/run without pressure doesnt hurt anything IMHO.  and Hoss  i am struggling with the length between changes on my 17. im close to 8k now since i bought it.  OTR trucks go alot more between changes and its the same oil...

The mechanics at work told me we use full synthetic and they change and sample every 50k or once a year most trucks get 10k plus a month we have a 2016 with 700k the one I drive is 2017 with 400k we have very little oil related failures most issues are with emissions systems