BOMBER Board
Abbyfireguy

Dash cam for 2018

Well, it’s high time to get a dash cam for the 2018.

I have had a cheaper one in the VW for a couple of years and it works flawlessly.

I wonder if there is anything to plug into the system that’s in the truck? I have a factory backup cam that displays in the mirror.

Which one do you have in your VW?

I have this one in my car - I took it out of the VW and put it in the Acura.  I had the same one in my 99

https://www.amazon.com/Capacitor-G-Sensor-Detection-OverTemperature-Protection/dp/B01MEDLYAB/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I had something like this one in my Beetle

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Dashboard-Recorder-Recording-Detection/dp/B07W924CHB/ref=pd_cp_107_3/146-8590816-4496557?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07W924CHB&pd_rd_r=ebc062d1-cb6e-4fdc-914f-e35d11095583&pd_rd_w=rcm2r&pd_rd_wg=9dw4B&pf_rd_p=0e5324e1-c848-4872-bbd5-5be6baedf80e&pf_rd_r=9KXXRRWBV0E0JJ513MMT&psc=1&refRID=9KXXRRWBV0E0JJ513MMT

The one in the Acura is probably seven years old and a little flaky.  I have to format the card every few weeks, for some reason it quits recording after the 32g card gets full

I have had a few different ones, they can vary a lot in quality. I recommend no less than a 1080p cam otherwise you won't be able to read license plates or they may fail upon impact when you need the recording most.

The one I'm currently using in my Challenger is this one. It's a dual 1080 front/rear cam and still fairly inexpensive. I'll include video from it as well. It's dual 1080 at 30fps but if you just use the front cam it can do 1080 60fps or 1920p at 30fps. I should add, I run a 128gig card in here and it works great and lasts quite a while before it overwrites. I think its about 8hrs of video from both front and rear 1080 cams before it overwrites.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746BCFBF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One last video showing how good the microphone is. Most dashcams don't pickup audio very well, even the expensive ones can sometimes have poor sound quality and lots of clicks and pops on rough roads etc. For a $120 dual cam, I'm very impressed with the sound quality of this one.

Edited by SMOKN05

Here is the first dashcam I ever bought. It is an entry level cam but it has a high level chipset inside. Its actually a midlevel chipset and probably the best quality you'll find at that price. The audio isn't as good as the Veckle Mini 0906 I posted above but its half the price also.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FONBG1A/?coliid=I124B3BZIC36W1&colid=1O1792YP2I7N0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Night quality isn't as good as the Veckle Mini but still decent.

The quality isn't quite as good but still not bad. You can hear a few clicks and pops in the audio and it does it a lot more on rough roads but its still not bad. I still recommend this one for a buyer on a budget.

I DO NOT recommend this one! Only reason I even share it is so people can avoid it. It was a $140 when I bought it and its just junk. Supposedly that brand's high priced cams ($200+) are decent but I was not willing to spend that after having poor quality from the $140 one. I see it's much cheaper now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K88JWRC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Notice how poor the audio is in this video. Also, the center of the field of view is always slightly out of focus. NOTICE that the few rain drops on the windshield are in focus but looking through the windshield out past 25ft or so and things are slightly blurry. I contacted the company and they agreed it was blurry and sent me a replacement cam, this was the replacement cam. It was the same way.

As another example, Here is a video from the 2nd cam I posted, the Black Box G1W cam. Notice how even with extreme snow on the windshield the cam is still focused on the outside and the snow on the window is slightly blurry. With the junky Grdian cam it seemed to focus ON the windshield instead of focusing THROUGH it.

I'd recommend reading through an article like this one or search for similar terms and see what the experts say. I used this article to decide to buy the Mini 0906. You can easily spend $400+ if you're chasing the best cam with best options etc. That's way over my budget though.

https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2019/

I forgot to add, the Grdian Krios cam that I hated could ONLY be setup through your Android or Apple phone via wifi connection. There was no screen to set date time or change any settings on the cam itself, it all had to be done via the phone interface. That system absolutely sucked and the wifi didn't connect half the time which made it impossible. Avoid that at all costs.

This is from my Mini 0805 - I purposely have turned off the microphone.  I think you tube compressed it, if you look at the numbers in the lower right corner, they get clearer at the end. 

3 hours ago, Big Russ said:

This is from my Mini 0805 - I purposely have turned off the microphone.  I think you tube compressed it, if you look at the numbers in the lower right corner, they get clearer at the end.

Yeah, Youtube does compress video so all these videos will be at least slightly better in real life. It looks like we have the same camera only the 0906 must be the newer version I guess. I think it sure is a great camera for the price. That dashcam review website I posted says the Mini 0906 was a great camera for the price but possibly less reliable. Maybe that's why the older model has trouble with the continuous loop function. Maybe mine will also when its older. So far so good though.

• Like 1

I bought my camera and camper backup camera from these guys. you can get a camera that will play in a rear view mirror from them and the system is vehicle specific so it is hardwired and not plugged into your lighter or aux power port. https://www.rearviewsafety.com/ 

Pulled the pin on a Viofo 119S. Found an open box one by a reputable seller on EBay for $45/free shipping.

Should have it this week. Came with a GPS Module.

They have good reviews, and are small enough to hide behind the rear view mirror.

Edited by Abbyfireguy

8 hours ago, Abbyfireguy said:

Pulled the pin on a Viofo 119S. Found an open box one by a reputable seller on EBay for $45/free shipping.

Should have it this week. Came with a GPS Module.

They have good reviews, and are small enough to hide behind the rear view mirror.

Does that get hard wired? Or 12 volt outlet?

Also, is there power for break in/shock while parked?

Nice, Steve. I love having a dashcam. I use them for more than just accidents. I often download footage from scenic drives or snapshots from various things I see while driving.

27 minutes ago, Scotty_ said:

Does that get hard wired? Or 12 volt outlet?

Also, is there power for break in/shock while parked?

It has a 12 volt connection. Either usb or cig lighter.

There is a setting for shock and Gforce.. 

The unit will be hardy noticeable. I will hide the wiring under the edge of the headliner too.

Edited by Abbyfireguy

4 hours ago, livingez_123 said:

So will dash came get you a discount on your car ins? 

Not with Safeco. Neither will the safe driving class I took at work. 

18 hours ago, Abbyfireguy said:

It has a 12 volt connection. Either usb or cig lighter.

There is a setting for shock and Gforce.. 

The unit will be hardy noticeable. I will hide the wiring under the edge of the headliner too.

How will it stay powered after truck is off? The power supplies in the newer trucks all switch off.

At least they did on my ‘16

36 minutes ago, Scotty_ said:

How will it stay powered after truck is off? The power supplies in the newer trucks all switch off.

For my cameras I bought a harness that ties into both a switched source and constant power source.  This allows the camera to remain powered up and in "parking mode" when you shut off the vehicle.  Just need to find the wires at either the fuse box or if you have a switched 12V outlet and a constant power outlet, tear the dash apart and tie into the backs of them.

37 minutes ago, Scotty_ said:

Cameras with Parking Mode built in operate a couple different ways. You can simply hard wire it yourself to constant 12v power. Or some cameras offer a power module that you plug the camera into and it has its own battery supply. When a camera goes into Parking Mode it doesn't run full video at full rate. It usually samples a picture once every second or so and if it detects the car being bumped or hit then it will record for a period of time.

I don't use parking mode on mine for a couple reasons. They will drain your battery if left long enough and it doesn't have its own power. And I never park my car in questionable places and at home its always in the garage. For my other vehicles, I don't see it worth the hassle. If I did get hit while parked or broken into, that's what insurance is for.

4 hours ago, Scotty_ said:

Magic!

Parking mode can have its advantages I’m thinking of tweekers robbing cars could get a shot of them 

This guy scared the capital "F" outta me...

if anyone knows this chebbie driver...  

‘Inch is a mile!’

Thinking that’s how the saying goes. 

• Sad 1