DieselBound

Assessing condition of 68rfe

I'm looking for tips on how to evaluate the condition of a 68rfe in, of course, a used (gen3) truck.  Seems that knowing if one these transmissions is on the edge of failing that one can use that as leverage when negotiating the purchase price of a truck.  I"m OK with paying out for proper value, but certainly not for over-paying.  Age (well, it's getting up there!) and a diminutive wife have me really leaning toward going automatic.

I've been advised to just figure on a proper rebuild right away.  Mike Boyd told me that I shouldn't worry and just wait until the trans pukes and then have it done right.  Either way I would be looking at putting money aside for the inevitable.

Color of the fluid is not longer a good indicator. Several oils will turn brown with age. But smell always is one good indicator that it is bad, but may not be accurate that the trans is good.

Shift quality after its warmed up is another, but you need to know what a good trans shifts like, they do have a differnt shift than most  transmissions

Best indicators for me. Miles and if it's got power adders.  Both are wear and tear on the Transmission.

Paul, yes, I agree.  But, how does one assess in the cases in which someone states that the transmission has been rebuilt?

12 hours ago, DieselBound said:

Paul, yes, I agree.  But, how does one assess in the cases in which someone states that the transmission has been rebuilt?

Paperwork or it has no proof of rebuilt. 

Have a reputable trans shop inspect it?

drop the pan?

Even if a trans checks out fine, murphys law could still show up.

Kinda like we tease about nothing was done until pic’s 

yes I know I haven’t posted them yet lol 

Well today is a lot different than many moons ago.

Most shops can pull up a customers name and print all the work that's been done through them. Hit print and you have paperwork.