I’m sawing and selling some rail. Can cut it to whatever length you need but 12”-24” seems to be pretty manageable. 5 1/2”W x 6 1/2” H, 24” weighs 75lbs. Also have some smaller rail.

$40/12”, $50/18”, 60/24”. You pay the shipping [emoji23]

52900467c52a30402c0d1ddc5a096e5c.jpg

648a666ff32e3787c10064d7519a2fe3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’m sawing and selling some rail. Can cut it to whatever length you need but 12”-24” seems to be pretty manageable. 5 1/2”W x 6 1/2” H, 24” weighs 75lbs. Also have some smaller rail.
$40/12”, $50/18”, 60/24”. You pay the shipping [emoji23]

52900467c52a30402c0d1ddc5a096e5c.jpg

648a666ff32e3787c10064d7519a2fe3.jpg

I heard this stuff makes a great anvil type device.... [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Scotty_ said:

I used to do what’s called a forward hold of a 3’ piece that weighed 100lbs. Basically hold a fifty pound dumbbell straight out in front of your for as long as you can but gripping the track was way different.

Made my face turn red 😁

And you wonder why your shoulder hurts! 😇😇

Oh he knows why it hurts .. trying to emulate a forklift most of his adult life he found the weak link(s) 😜

12” piece for me  Mike ( but need to figure fright method ) 

paypal ?

Edited by GTroyer

Paypal works fine for me unless we can meet up somewhere, I'll get it cut and put names on it for now but I don't want to take anyone's money until transportation is arranged.  If there's enough interest on the wet side then maybe we can bomber express some pieces to a closer neighborhood.  

Gary, I don't know how the shipping would work out but I'll see what will fit in a USPS flat rate box.

I think I'm going to saw up some shorter pieces, clean them up nice and market them as book ends too.

7 minutes ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

That is small rail. The big stuff weighs 145lbs a foot......

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Really, I thought it was gauged by weight/yd. so there’s rail that’s 435lbs/yd? This I gotta see. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_profile#Rail_weights_and_sizes

Edited by Woodenhead
28 minutes ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

Ok, my mistake it is per yard. Largest railroad rail was 155lbs/yd. Heaviest crane rail was 175lbs/yd.

Right. This isn’t 155lb rail (good luck finding that) but it isn’t small rail either. 

6 hours ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

121lbs/yd I figured.

Not familiar with 121.  Common when I was on railroad was we were switching out 90 to 115 for part of the line.  Later, they were changing to 132.  the 90 was in 33' lengths.  The 115 and 132 were 1/4 mile lengths (they were thermite welded to get that length).

If you look on the side of the rail, there will be the weight listed.  It will be the numbers and letters and the numbers may be in the middle of the letters or the letters at one end or the other.  The year the rail was cast will also likely be there in a slightly different location.

Edited by carl20320
Not familiar with 121.  Common when I was on railroad was we were switching out 90 to 115 for part of the line.  Later, they were changing to 132.  the 90 was in 33' lengths.  The 115 and 132 were 1/4 mile lengths (they were thermite welded to get that length).

If you look on the side of the rail, there will be the weight listed.  It will be the numbers and letters and the numbers may be in the middle of the letters or the letters at one end or the other.  The year the rail was cast will also likely be there in a slightly different location.

Looks like 115.
ccfa71d9996211ed2d15f05564d0e431.jpg

• Like 1

depending on what size it is, 90 was very common on smaller lines until the early 80s.  The line from Houston to Galveston was replacing their 90 with 115 in 80-81.  the size comaparison was impressive.

CF&I steel out of Pueblo, CO and made in 1940 something.  I believe they are now part of EVRAZ.  Not sure what the ORECO markings are.

• Like 1

I don't know what the weight is on the stuff I have but it's heavy!
It is 6 1/2" tall and 6" wide at the base and very thick in the middle. The top is 4 1/2" wide
af9f6ddebfe8e81d01a9c894a27e0d22.jpg

• Like 1
Just now, Woodenhead said:

I wonder if that’s crane rail. 

I have no idea 

I got a piece about 5' long and it was all I could do to pick it up and put it in back of my truck by myself. 

I got some stuff like you have and that was easy to lift compared to this stuff. 

• Like 1

If the pieces are light enough to go in my Jetta I can bring some back on one of my trips from Moses Lake.

If it has to be in a truck then you will have to wait for a truck trip. In the winter I don't take the truck as often as the boat doesn't need to be towed.

1 hour ago, C Paul Go said:

If the pieces are light enough to go in my Jetta I can bring some back on one of my trips from Moses Lake.

If it has to be in a truck then you will have to wait for a truck trip. In the winter I don't take the truck as often as the boat doesn't need to be towed.

Thanks Paul! I’ve been hauling them in my Jetta, 24” piece was about 75lbs. Getting it out of the trunk is a bad lifting position for a guy with a dicey back so you’d definitely want someone else doing that.