BOMBER Board
Fishin2Deep4U

Do you need a DOT# or CDL?

Good luck with your search.

I said I had an issue once lol. It was once that day. I lost track of the number of times I would have everything in place and get some overzealous officer try hard to find a violation.

Used to be a lot less red tape and every year they add a law or focus on splitting hairs.

3 hours ago, Scotty_ said:

Good luck with your search.

I said I had an issue once lol. It was once that day. I lost track of the number of times I would have everything in place and get some overzealous officer try hard to find a violation.

Used to be a lot less red tape and every year they add a law or focus on splitting hairs.

Yeah, I have always tried to have as much knowledge as possible going into a situation. Usually I can work around most problems. 

I'm on the hunt. 

Dave

3 hours ago, Woodenhead said:

According to that link I need a CDL to pull my gooseneck lol. 

Technically, yes. 

That's why I'm looking clarification. I don't expect to get hassled. I just want a path forward in case I do. 

Dave

Never mind - I'm finding conflicting information now. 

That doesn't show a SRW with 4.10 gears

15 minutes ago, Big Russ said:

Never mind - I'm finding conflicting information now. 

That doesn't show a SRW with 4.10 gears

I think my gearing would be close to stock tire height at 3.73.

I have never run the math. 

Dave

Edited by Fishin2Deep4U

4 minutes ago, Fishin2Deep4U said:

Dave

Page 4 on that pdf file shows 3.42 stock ratio and no other options for a SRW 3500

You could have an issue with being modified too. 

7 minutes ago, Fishin2Deep4U said:

Dave

Should be comparable to running stock with 3.8x from what I recall. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thumper 549 said:

Boat 1.jpg

boat 2.jpg

I’ve got many a mile under my belt in that same tractor , propane bulk tankers 

i do prefer driving a conventional more though ( day’s gone by) much better riding. 

7 hours ago, thumper 549 said:

I am pretty sure a boat is an RV vehicle, RV stands for recreational.

You guys are making this complicated.

After all there is recreational fishing...

leagal def-

https://definitions.uslegal.com/r/recreational-vessel/

You are absolutely correct. But it doesn't quite work that way. Otherwise I could buy a tractor and step deck, haul any size boat I want on it, and never stop at a single scale. I would just put a not for hire sticker on the door and tell law enforcement it's an RV. You can't touch me. We all know that is not realistic. 

Everyone I talk to agrees, the boat is a recreational vehicle. The trailer it rides upon is not. Unless that boat is commercial, used for guiding, ect. It could be labeled as an RV.

So, that is where the issue is at. The boat has no load rating or capacity measurable by the DOT. The trailer does. 

The other way to look at the definition is my actual RV, a 30+' Fifth wheel tabs are cheap. My boat trailer tabs are almost 4 times as high. It is due to the fact the state does not consider the boat trailer an RV.

Dave

Edited by Fishin2Deep4U

I will bet the TRAILER IS LEGAL WIDTH......so are they measuring the RV part for width?

Or the trailer?

.........you forget I used to hire DOT lawyers and can put you in touch with a 

good one in Seattle if he is still there.

I used to know a guy out in Port  Townsend  (Jan) that hauled boats illegally.

He pissed me off cause i was doing everything right and he did not own a DOT/MC or have insurance 

AFAIC he was in plucking my garden.

He got by the law and local dumbshet police by claiming he had a boat farm....

I am behind the times but I  if I wanted to get back in I could play hardball

I have seen school buses cut behind the driver's seat and the frame used for a Boat trailer .

Now how does the law read?

On and on we could go.

In the end, you do what makes you feel good.

it makes me feel better to tell the state to FK itself.

Wa is one of the most Nazi places there is ........you have to outsmart them or keep jumping through the hoops -

cause next year they will add another one.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, thumper 549 said:

I will bet the TRAILER IS LEGAL WIDTH......so are they measuring the RV part for width?

Or the trailer?

.........you forget I used to hire DOT lawyers and can put you in touch with a 

good one in Seattle if he is still there.

I used to know a guy out in Port  Townsend  (Jan) that hauled boats illegally.

He pissed me off cause i was doing everything right and he did not own a DOT/MC or have insurance 

AFAIC he was in plucking my garden.

He got by the law and local dumbshet police by claiming he had a boat farm....

I am behind the times but I  if I wanted to get back in I could play hardball

I have seen school buses cut behind the driver's seat and the frame used for a Boat trailer .

Now how does the law read?

On and on we could go.

In the end, you do what makes you feel good.

it makes me feel better to tell the state to FK itself.

Wa is one of the most Nazi places there is ........you have to outsmart them or keep jumping through the hoops -

cause next year they will add another one.

I agree with you. There is no straight and legal definition for most of this. It appears most is at the discretion of the officer you have contact with. That said, if the is no law on the books making something illegal, it is deemed to be legal. And back to the State and the vague stance on CDL requirements. They con't even clearly define what a commercial vehicle is. They said I have to look at their flow chart to determine if I had a commercial vehicle. 

If you go by that, every dually in the state with or without a trailer, every truck towing over 10K no matter the combination weight, any vehicle or combination over 26001 are all subject to the class A CDL requirement. 

Again, I have no problem playing dumb where I can. But the permitting process adds that wrinkle. My next move is to drive by an open scale house, go in and talk to the enforcement guys. Put that in my pocket and carry on. 

Dave

Oh, as far as width, it's the widest part of the load. Just like any trucker with an oversize load. 8.5' trailer, but load over 10'. The beam of my boat is 9'10". If you measure rub rail to rub rail it's over 10'. If you measure that actual widest part of the boat, which is the bow rail, I am wider still. 

Dave

Just a thought, if you are being inspected or weighed or whatever, if the officer is going to write you a ticket for something doesn't he have to cite which regulation you are not in compliance with? Point being, if the state says you are illegal, tell them to prove it or go pound sand.

1 minute ago, SMOKN05 said:

Just a thought, if you are being inspected or weighed or whatever, if the officer is going to write you a ticket for something doesn't he have to cite which regulation you are not in compliance with? Point being, if the state says you are illegal, tell them to prove it or go pound sand.

No idea. 

When I came out with the boat I stopped at every open set of scales per the permit. Most just waived me through. Only had an interaction at two sets of scales. 

I would assume, and I know that's a dangerous thing, that if they seen that you were out of compliance for anything they could cite you. In my case I would be stopping per the permit for the purpose of an inspection. So, I can't see a scenario where they could not write me up for an unrelated issue to weights of dimensions. 

All good points and probably never going to be an issue. But when I get my head around Washington, I will do the same with Oregon. That will be the two states I would routinely travel through as an oversize load. 

Dave

I got my Class 1 CDL when I was 19 to avoid all the hassles. It morphed into a good career driving all sorts of rigs on the side as well as some of the bigger tandem ladder trucks.

Now, I cringe watching  older folks wheeling big tandem axle motor homes 

on commercial,chassis legally with a regular license and air endorsement.

By their driving style and demonstrated abilities, a CDL should be a must for most folks with the big rig RVs.

I have nothing against folks hitting the open road with their big fancy RVs, just make sure you have the skills and ability not to drive your  

unit into my Kenworth when we are sharing the road please. Being legal and being safe can and are different to a lot of folks!

Most to a LOT of them are retired truck drivers ...like you will be someday.

People should be judged on skills individually, not by age ...like the young folks..a lot of them cant drive...but some can

Edited by thumper 549
sixms ms

The state has responded back again. Asking for GVWR of each the truck and trailer. 

I think they don't have an answer either. Some other states have a non- commercial CDL class A. That's what this really should fall under. 

Anyway, still waiting. Have not run past any scales to go in an chat the guys up. Thinking about bringing some doughnuts and coffee with me.

Anyway, got the boat fueled up today with 159 gallons. And headed for the scales to double check my tongue weight. 

Weights are for 18 3500 SRW LB 4X4 Aisin, full fuel, driver only, no cargo. 

Boat and trailer are 06 Trophy 2902WA, twin 225 Mercury Optimax, Suzuki 9.9 EFI, no water, very light gear (100 lbs), 218 gallons fuel. Venture VATB-12625, 14825 GVWR.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BKVr44s6zpq8y71u6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sdxKAh4Saf6i1TvA6

So, it looks like sliding the axles got me to 600 lbs tongue weight. I was shooting for 500 lbs. I can move the axles forward another inch or so to be centered in the fender. But that's after the boat comes off again next year. 

Dave 

Edited by Fishin2Deep4U

I wouldn’t present the coffee and donuts until you know they’re helping you. 
I watched a guy ahead of a few of us at a scale in Minnesota try and do that. Not sure what he was pulling but assumed by how he was dressed, was not a long haul trukker. The scale house was busy and you could see the officers not so keen on dealing with this guy. Maybe he was a salesman lol

If they help you out, then drop off the goodies as a thank you

JMSO

Keeping in mind they can write a ticket for ANYTHING that is non working even all the way down to a blown marker light so he sure to travel with a couple spare bulbs .

The states now figure they need to support the $$ coffers via citations and have upped the cost of poker many times over past few years. Most any ticket these days is very expensive.

On 10/31/2019 at 5:50 PM, thumper 549 said:

Most to a LOT of them are retired truck drivers ...like you will be someday.

People should be judged on skills individually, not by age ...like the young folks..a lot of them cant drive...but some can

SScenicruiser.jpg

I do judge people skills individually. Read my post... I see multiple big RVs all year in my travels, both driving a big truck and my own Ram pickup. Most drivers of Big Fancy RVs I see are older folks like myself. I see only a few younger folks with these rigs probably because they’re so darn expensive..

I am officially retired,but, I still maintain my CDL and make a short 10 week appearance each spring to play with a Kenworth T680...

In Canada, DOT is like the US and has differing licenses and rules from province to province.. Fortunately the western provinces have been working together somewhat to align the license classes etc over the last 4 years. They still have a ways to go though.

For the general mass of people(myself included)the regs can be very confusing and convoluted. 
I hauled to the US 2 years ago,but with the crazy regs and permits required I told the boss last season I would stay in Canuck land 

and deal with the regs I knew.

Common sense and government regulators never go hand in hand! 

• Like 1