Fishin2Deep4U

Do you need a DOT# or CDL?

3 hours ago, SMOKN05 said:

So just for my own understanding because I'm a little confused, where does a small truck/trailer fall? Like say a 1/2ton truck pulling a competition racecar but it's a 2000lb Miata on 2000lb trailer. Say the who combo is under 10,000lbs buts it is a competition vehicle. Or say a 3/4ton vehicle with trailer that's 12-15,000lbs combined and used for competition.

Does all this mess only apply if you're going to be over 20,000lbs or 26,000lbs or something like that?

If you meet any of the weight requirements, then yes. In you case, if the trailer has a GVRW 10K or more, then yes. 

Dave

2 hours ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

I have actually had to go rescue a friend of mine who was driving a F550 with a pintle hitch trailer. The combined GVW's exceeded 26,001lbs and the officer made him call a CDL holder to finish the trip which was another 8 miles.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Did he have to hit the scales for some reason? 

Dave

5 minutes ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

No, he was on a back country road.

I keep hearing more stories all the time. Many first hand. 

I really do think it's a matter of time before all trailers, other than RVs, are scrutinized. 

Dave

• Like 1

I keep hearing more stories all the time. Many first hand. 

I really do think it's a matter of time before all trailers, other than RVs, are scrutinized. 

Dave
Well I am safe for the most part as I have a Class A CDL.

Ironically you can take cdl test with a pickup and gooseneck the combined gvw has to exceed 26k you would be restricted to no air brakes and if auto then auto only. 
FYI federal law changes in February and you have to have a training class right now depends on state.  

5 minutes ago, yogi_160 said:

Ironically you can take cdl test with a pickup and gooseneck the combined gvw has to exceed 26k you would be restricted to no air brakes and if auto then auto only. 
FYI federal law changes in February and you have to have a training class right now depends on state.  

Interesting. 

Dave

This is very timely as I saw a lot of the same messages coming out of California, and wondered about my 48' trailer and dually truck.  Easily exceeds 26k gross combined with a three axle trailer and truck rated to tow over 30k lbs from the factory, but it doesn't look like an RV, but is registered as an ‘Private Use Trailer’.  The prior owner of the trailer had a class A CDL (coincidently, he moved boats too).

To play it safe, I was wondering about just taking the test with my truck and trailer so I have the class A license (even without the air brakes and auto restrictions).  I used to have a class B that I let expire a few years back, but that wouldn't have helped me now anyway. 

Thanks Dave for initiating the discussion and great info in all this.  Also interesting Mr Cobb recommends not putting the 'Not for Hire' stickers on the side of the trailer.  Maybe I should get an RV graphics wrap for the trailer so it looks more like an RV too :) 

Edited by Lock

On 11/11/2019 at 2:21 PM, Lock said:

This is very timely as I saw a lot of the same messages coming out of California, and wondered about my 48' trailer and dually truck.  Easily exceeds 26k gross combined with a three axle trailer and truck rated to tow over 30k lbs from the factory, but it doesn't look like an RV, but is registered as an ‘Private Use Trailer’.  The prior owner of the trailer had a class A CDL (coincidently, he moved boats too).

To play it safe, I was wondering about just taking the test with my truck and trailer so I have the class A license (even without the air brakes and auto restrictions).  I used to have a class B that I let expire a few years back, but that wouldn't have helped me now anyway. 

Thanks Dave for initiating the discussion and great info in all this.  Also interesting Mr Cobb recommends not putting the 'Not for Hire' stickers on the side of the trailer.  Maybe I should get an RV graphics wrap for the trailer so it looks more like an RV too :) 

Yeah, I don't know what your trailer looks like. But if it is in a plain white wrapper, I don't think you'll get hassled in Washington state. Now if it's wrapped with xyz racing, all bets are off. 

Dave