BOMBER Board
DieselBound

Aiming for a "new" (yeah, used) truck

I'd bought my current 94 with the thought that it was just going to be used as a general farm truck.  A day cab was sufficient.  Now, however, the wife and I have been thinking that perhaps we might want to hit the road with a camper or a trailer.  The 94 would be OK, BUT...  adding our 80+lb dog into the can with the both of us just ain't going to work (it's OK for short trips; and when it's just me and the dog it's fine).  So...

A new truck is never going to be possible (I don't play the lottery).  Going to have to be another round of "let's see what needs to be fixed on this thing."  Wanting to stay in the 5.9L camp.  AND, a manual transmission.  The wife ain't no how able to drive our current truck: NV4500; and the dual disk clutch just makes it that much more work.  She's like 5' flat.  From the little I've been researching plus the good fortune of having a connection with Kelly (from the TDI world), I think I'm narrowing things down to the following:

2006/2007 3500 4x4 DRW club or mega cab w/G56 6spd (more accommodating for the wife)

I've always wanted a flatbed in which case I'm kind of leaning in that direction.

I'd think that having the power pedal assist (or whatever that is called) would make things even better for the wife, though she says that she thinks that she would be fine without it (she drove Kelly's truck around the driveway- not an exhaustive test, but it was doable).

Really looking to keep the price maxed at $20k.

Here's an example of what I'm looking for:

1501384781.jpg.0a2b020d4f1d1eefea6dce68550ca34b.jpg

This example is actually a truck that's for sale and that I'm interested in.  2006.  Everything except the pedal assist.  254k miles.  Three owners in total.  All local to the... NW Nebraska area: yeah, I'd have to go out of state for this.  Supposedly has had the injectors recently replaced (no idea if there are records).  Interior (I'll spare folks any of these pictures because I have more important ones to get to) is really pretty decent- the truck wasn't trashed, at least not superficially.

All seems pretty much OK to me until...

Pictures of the undercarriage seem to raise a couple of concerns for me.  I'll hold off stating what I think for now (so I don't bias anyone else's option, and to hide any ignorance that I might display!):

thumbnail_IMG_2303.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2300.jpg

I am contemplating on locating a shop in the dealer's area to perform an inspection.  I know that anything I get will get looked over by a trusted professional (Mike) up here.

Just wanting to avoid any really costly things knowing that there are going to be a lot of less-costly things needing dealt with.  And, anything that I buy from any distance away needs to get me back home! (for this truck it would be about a 1,300 mile trek).

Looking at those pictures I would not run across the country for that. Things like the bungee battery hold down indicate a lack of proper care or concern. 

• Like 1

Undercarriage says oil field rig. Battery hold down kinda confirms. 

• Like 1

So I had someone just reach out to me about selling a truck.  Prior owner just passed.   I don't even know the price yet and it is above the range you posted almost forsure but its a way better truck.

2003 Black, DRW, NV5600, Just got all new tires.

But here's the kicker. 40,xxx miles.  And from the pictures I got it looks really good.

Reach out to the dealer see if you can get the engine history idle hours number of starts would tell you little about it good scanner can pull info distance is killer for you ask about record of injectors 

Here are the only pictures I have. I haven't seen the truck in person. 04a11ae0b3f360e6196a6970beb81e66.jpgfa29c2d44ac7570dda52d8221552a9fa.jpga775e0ec680f40ddbfb4456574a1724f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Woodenhead said:

Wow!

That's what I said.   They asked my opinion on price, I told them what I guessed it could be listed at and sell for.  Haven't heard back.

I also heard just today that his father is considering keeping it now. So time will tell. But certainly one nice low mile rig.

9 minutes ago, C Paul Go said:

That's what I said.   They asked my opinion on price, I told them what I guessed it could be listed at and sell for.  Haven't heard back.

I also heard just today that his father is considering keeping it now. So time will tell. But certainly one nice low mile rig.

It’d be hard to let a rig like that get out of the family. It’s like the younger but more responsible sibling to my ‘98 lol. 

• Haha 1

Hi, folks.  Been kind of caught up in other things...

I've been doing more introspection on what I "need," and am now leaning away from a dually.  Need for a mega cab is also in question.  Anyway...

Due to concerns over the wife being able to drive a rig like this -comfortably- I am thinking that I need to find something with the adjustable pedals.  This option seems to be primarily only available in the Laramie package (though I'm sure that one could have ordered it separately, though not likely many such candidates existing out there like that).

That 2003 is sure purdy!

On the truck I posted about I could see the following issues:

- Leaking front axle seal (passenger side; no pic of driver's side, so that one could also be leaking)

- Possible leaking rear main seal (not a big deal if one is figuring on changing the clutch)

- Leaks around transmission side case (not sure what to refer to this as)

- Missing air flow meter on air box

- Poorly maintained battery connections (in addition to hold-down hack)

I did, however, learn that Colorado and Nebraska aren't rust belt states.

I'm reaching out to a dealer in Montana who has a possible candidate.

I know you can find deals on 4 th gen giving you big back seat and the bells you want just gotta shop. 

• Like 2

Having a 2001.5 in my driveway with 280K miles that PM servicing all along the way was done buy quality mechanics...there a ton of maintenance issues needed at that mile point enough so the the extra $$ too bring it up to a "good condition truck" will be many/several thousand $$$ , may I suggest you get a few years newer and avoid those all at once $$ needed to give you a reasonable truck to drive and RV with piece of mind RVing 

all the rubbers / body bushings and spring bushings will need to be replaced as they are old hard and usually rotted , brake up grading will be $$ if you do a  good brakes package,  the engine is nearing the exterior hard parts being gone through like power steering / vacuum pump assembly , alternator , water pump , radiator , all the rubber hoses , heater core , air conditioner , and on and on all adding many $$ to a rigs price to just bring it up to a "standard" you be happy with traveling ...tranny is about done as to reliable miles [250K is a totally used up milage number as well as the transfer case miles] big $$ there

if you owned this truck you would have done these things a little at a time as needed but buying one and bringing back to a level of confidence is pricey $$   .... skip it and add a few $$ to the purchase price and get a good rig to start with.  ONE MANS OPINION

• Like 2

I agree with the others. I would not buy that rig.  Add to the list of probably not done right would be the ABS line hanging down at the front right (looks like ABS from here). A big loop of something (maybe hose of some kind) at the driver's rear that doesn't look right.

Going to a 4th gen, sadly, at this time, isn't going to happen: my bank account isn't that big.  I really need to be able to assess the costs for getting something up to par.  I'm pretty convinced that I could manage a late 3rd gen with a 5.9L.  Finding the right one, however, appears as though it's going to be a challenge: seems like it's nearly illegal to sell a used one with a manual transmission 😉

My buddy at work picked up 2011 with manual 175k miles and flatbed for $19k they are around remember last ten years manual transmission was only 1% of sales making them a unicorn so to speak 

There's a TON of dually rigs that match what I'm looking for (minus the duals that is).  Aiming for the power pedal adjustment makes it exponentially more difficult: pretty much puts me in the Laramie package- possibility that someone optioned it, but rare as rare could be).

Someone on CL just posted a really nice 2007.5, which has everything I could want, except the 5.9L.