Well I did it again. Bought another truck. A nice 92'  2 wd ext cab dually. Searched all over trying to find tips and cheap mods. This is my first VE motor. This will be my hauler. I plan to paint it and bag it. The 12' will be for my wife to use. Id prefer her to be in the big rig. So any tips I should look for or easy mods post them up. I did see a post on the power and smoke screws! :D  Ill get some pics! 

Auto or manual?
VE pump adjustments are pretty simple and that pump will eat anything you put in it!
Find yourself and old school set of POD (price of darkness) injectors for it! An HX35 is good cheap turbo upgrade.
I LOVE old school!

• Like 1

Fuel pin and governor spring first. 

Advance timing. 

Look at supply pressure. 

Replace both soft fuel lines at back of block. 

Drive it and enjoy 20 mpg. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, HOSS said:

Auto or manual?
VE pump adjustments are pretty simple and that pump will eat anything you put in it!
Find yourself and old school set of POD (price of darkness) injectors for it! An HX35 is good cheap turbo upgrade.
I LOVE old school!

Unless you want soot on anything you are towing, avoid the PODs.  The Bosch 185 injectors had my last dyno run at some change under 300hp to the ground with pump mods (fuel screw, 3200rpm spring, fuel pin, timing), the injectors, and the HX35 with a 16cm Housing.  Still had a little smoke with that but it cleared up and pulled a little harder when I put a non-wastegated 14cm housing on it.

• Like 1

Hey guy! Its a auto. So I"ll have to be careful with that. I don't plan on going power crazy with it. Just need a solid tow'r that wont crawl up a hill. Its 100% stock. still has the barrel lock on the power screw and stock exhaust except it turns out in front of the tire. Also I I haven't had soot in a while. Might be nice.. LMAO It does have a new lift pump and injection pump with in 5-7 years. 

Fuel pin. Governor spring. Increase line pressure a touch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marksmith said:

Fuel pin. Governor spring. Increase line pressure a touch. 

Whats the trick to increasing the line pressure a tad? Are all fuel pins the same? Thanks

That’s a beauty! There’s a certain charm about these first gen’s. Even my wife wants one . I had an ‘89 way back when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Whats the trick to increasing the line pressure a tad? Are all fuel pins the same? Thanks
There are a few companies they make a few levels of aggresiveness. Denny T and M&H have a couple different levels.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That’s a beauty! There’s a certain charm about these first gen’s. Even my wife wants one . I had an ‘89 way back when.

"Shes a beaut Clark!"

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, HOTMOPR said:

Valve body has to be dropped. Doesn’t need taken apart, just dropped as a unit. 1.25 inches from seat of spring to adjustment plate has been my go to for years. No leak accumulator piston and toss the spring out when you drop the valve body to adjust the line pressure. 

I refill with 3 qts non detergent 30 weight. Top off with atf +4

• Like 1

13 hours ago, marksmith said:

Valve body has to be dropped. Doesn’t need taken apart, just dropped as a unit. 1.25 inches from seat of spring to adjustment plate has been my go to for years. No leak accumulator piston and toss the spring out when you drop the valve body to adjust the line pressure. 

I refill with 3 qts non detergent 30 weight. Top off with atf +4

Sounds like straight from HDM48.

Don't worry about the auto.  wink, wink, nudge, nudge.  Mine was an auto as well.  I broke it.  I do miss that 91.5.  Also plan on getting familiar with the manual shut off on the VE.  Mine used to eat the rubber tips on the fuel shut-off solenoids. Only way to turn it off was go out and manually close the valve.  Don't buy the solenoids from Dodge or Cummins if you need one.  It was the same as the VW VE solenoid which was available for something like $32 vs $110.  I went through so many of them for a while that I actually bought a manual choke cable and attached it to the shut-off so I could stop the truck without popping the hood.

I think I still have either a PDF or printed copy of the Bosch VE pump manual.  I'll see if I can locate it if you are interested.  I have a few spare parts and 1st gen specific tools I can send your way as well.  As much as I would like to have another, it is just not in the cards for me.

Something else I did that made a world of difference on my first gen was replacing the front springs with MOOG Super Heavy Duty springs for the 1 ton.  They picked up the sagging front end as the stock springs were just not HD enough.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, carl20320 said:

Sounds like straight from HDM48.

Sounds like you’ve been around a while!!! :right:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Where'd you find it? It looks an awful lot like my old neighbors truck.

Close to the tenino speedway

On 9/5/2019 at 2:17 PM, marksmith said:

Fuel pin and governor spring first. 

Advance timing. 

Look at supply pressure. 

Replace both soft fuel lines at back of block. 

Drive it and enjoy 20 mpg. 

^ This! I have an HE351 that would make a big difference on that engine. It was gifted to me so I will pass it on for what I have in it ($0) if your interested Adam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LOL! I didn’t look where they were coming from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk