Woodenhead

Clutch balance?

I’ve noticed for a while when my truck is idling with the clutch out in neutral I get a shake in the cab. Nothing crazy but enough to wobble the shifter a bit  and be annoying. If you bump the RPMs up a bit it goes away. Up till now I just figured it was a bit of an imbalance in the fuel at idle, maybe needing the pump recalibrated. 

Yesterday while I was pulling out of the shop I could hear the floater plate rattling around when I held the clutch in. I realize that’s normal to a certain extent this seemed a bit more noticeable. Then I figured out if I bumped the clutch peddle just right while idling the shake would go away. This leads me to believe the floater plate is maybe floating a bit more than it should and occasionally coming to rest far enough off center to cause an imbalance. 

Any thoughts on this? Normal? Just run it or is this an early warning of an oncoming grenade? 😳

Clutch is a DD3250. 

Maybe Call Peter and ask , I’ve never had the experience of that , also mine is so loud as all ‘01 & ‘02’s are you can’t hear anything lol

Edited by GTroyer

There are 4 pins the floater plate rides on. I think having two fail would be highly unlikely. 

I agree with calling southbend. Anyone will be able to answer your question there. 

37 minutes ago, marksmith said:

There are 4 pins the floater plate rides on. I think having two fail would be highly unlikely. 

I agree with calling southbend. Anyone will be able to answer your question there. 

Those ears are pretty stout. Like you said, I can’t imagine two, much less one failing. Maybe yielding a bit till there’s some play. 

I’ll call Peter. 

Mine sometimes shakes a little bit at idle. If I push the clutch pedal in then let it out again, it goes away.