rubystargoats

Electical gremlins on a 2002

The SIL is having some electrical issue with the 2002 Dodge he bought. When he turns on the head or dash lights the interior cab lights come on and the "fuel booster Mod no longer works any ideas? I am trying to get him to post so he can explain the issues first hand and respond quicker to answers but we shall see.

Headlight switches are known to go gunnybag. That’s the first place those circuits intersect, so to speak. 

make sure all the grounds are clean they can cause host of issues might be grounded through circuit then when it’s turned on it finds new path. Newer stuff is finicky with dirty connectors 

If it' a pull type switch for the headlights for sure that is the problem. They are junk. I've even seen the turn type go also. Mark Smith is the man!

What they said and somebody may have wired the ground and or power from the headlight switch to the fuel booster thus causing the issues with it.

4 hours ago, marksmith said:

Headlight switches are known to go gunnybag. That’s the first place those circuits intersect, so to speak. 

It just started doing it, it was fine when he bought it, He already replaced the headlight switch and no joy but are the interior cab lights actually somehow connected to the headlight circuit? I know a bit about the Ford stuff but no experience with how Dodge does things.

Yogi, he is down there in SLC so I am trying to get him to seek your help. He has little experience with auto stuff especially the electrical side of things. I will try to get him to case down all the grounds and check or clean and refasten them.  Is there somewhere online that has the wire/elect schematics.

Edited by rubystargoats

Is this the one he got from me?

What fuel booster mod?

Fuel pump and filters at the frame are NOT grounded through anything.

Head light and dome light circuits are completely separate in the switch except the power source at the switch.

Did he ever download the service manual from here? It has all the circuit digrams.

Edited by Ol Blue

Racking my brains here.

I'm pretty sure the Edge box is grounded behind the knee bolster below the steering wheel on its own screw. It gets power from a fuse tap in the PDC at the driver's door. Is this the fuel booster mod?

The Edge box has nothing in common with the headlight or interior dome light circuits.

On second thought, the ground screw for the Edge box behind the knee bolster also grounds the lights in the A-Pillar gauges. The source is tapped off the switch dimmer circuit so the A-Pillar gauge lights dim with the dash.  The common connection between the Edge box and dimmer switch could be the ground screw below the steering wheel.  I can't imagine it came loose, but....?

Edited by Ol Blue

Hey Ol Blue, I'm the SIL in question. The technical term is escaping me but the "fuel booster" being referred to is the small module wired into the dash lower right of the steering wheel, that if memory serves increases the fuel mixture. That's lost power, the pyrometer has lost power, and the headlight switch assembly gets hot enough to hiss a damp cloth when the headlights are turned on. Wife and I were idling at a boat launch when we heard an audible click and the cab lights turned on. With how suddenly the issue came up I initially thought it might have been a fuse. 

12 hours ago, Ol Blue said:

Did he ever download the service manual from here? It has all the circuit digrams.

Oh yeah, thanks I had forgotten about that.  Sounds like the ground screw/wire/connector/etc.  could be the place to start.  Thanks

Edited by rubystargoats

Maybe even check to see if there is good continuity between the battery ground and that terminal?

Check the fuse in the PDC at the driver's door. It will have the fuse tap. Careful with the fuse tap, they can be fragile. Can't think of a reason for it to blow though. It might be number 6 or 17 fuse. Not sure I remember which. It powers both the Edge Competition Fueling Box and the A-Pillar gauges.

The light switches in the 2nd gen Ram pickups get hot to the touch. Just the nature of the beast. 

Pay attention to which side of the fuse the tap is in. That is the side that is protected by the fuse. Don't put it on the other side. There is no sufficient fuse ahead of it in the other side to keep the wire from getting hot and possibly burning.

Assuming the fuse is the problem, any idea why the fuse blew?

Edited by Ol Blue

Did you check the fuse? Did the electric pop sound like it was in the cab or out? In front of you or behind? 

I replaced the light switch in my 97. A couple of the wires were actually discolored and partially melted. 

Pretty disconcerting to pop the switch out and see those burnt wires.