BOMBER Board

So I thought my heater core was leaking because I was loosing coolant and couldn't see anywhere it was leaking, but today I think I found a crack on the block behind where the oil cooler mounts. All the freeze plugs are in tact and I wipe the area dry and it gets damp. Not really sure where to go from here. Any advice appreciated. Just about to turn 350,000. Is this common and is it repairable? 9d47842815e1dbac0f24f08644e81d26.jpgaa3d96064a7ecfc5b8f91201538ec143.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Should it be safe to run until I can fix it? Its my daily and currently I have to fill the radiator once a week.

I hate saying ‘Yeah, drive it’

But, as long as you have coolant in it, the truck should be OK for commuting/light work purposes. Just realize the crack will worsen over time/heat cycles. 

Ive seen a few trucks ran for a good while before giving up and swapping blocks. 

Unfortunately I dont really have another option. Sold my commuter to another friend in need and then this happens. It been a good truck. I've had it since 2008

5 hours ago, stroketeck said:

yup i have seen them run along time with a zero pressure cap

That's a good point! Your radiator cap holds pressure and the more pressure the worse the leak. 

Pretty common failure.  Nurse it along well you get a motor built for it. I'm at a point on those motors I would be looking for new or rebuilt. Everything else you will most likely be buying worn out and end up repeating the process.

Grind it with 36 grit, mix up some JB weld, lower pressure radiator cap and drive it until you can replace it. Sometimes the temp fix works long term.

I have a line on a 24 valve block and head cheap. It has a hurt cylinder (no it's not mine) so it would need to be bored .020 over but it's a solid stock block.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the same leak new long block was the answer. You must have a #53 block. I bought a long block from Cummins in Portland to save the taxes. That saved 10%. The price was 7500 with the core. Cummins was the only one who would refund the core charge. Even with buying in Portland I was able to return it in Everett. 

I'm going to try and make it through the rest of the year with it. I think I'll try to grind it and j b weld it and see how that goes. I have found blocks and complete runners but I've depleted my extra funds between paying medical expenses for my Mom and emergency home repairs. I'll baby it along until I can do something

Toying with the idea of selling the truck to upgrade but not sure what to even ask with the cracked block and high miles

7 hours ago, operator mike 82 said:

Toying with the idea of selling the truck to upgrade but not sure what to even ask with the cracked block and high miles

Lay all the info out. I and others can give you an idea but needing a new motor will be a huge hit to value.  So much so that it might carry more value in parts.

Ok so I'm trying to decide if I'd be better off selling it outright or using it as a trade in. I have decided I need more room. It has 360200 ish miles. Clear coat flaking on the hood, dents and dings, mostly on the bed, cracked windshield, dirty stained carpet, torn driver's seat, needs shocks, vacuum switch on the transfer case needs replaced, have it but haven't had time to get to it, blend door needs repair, heater fan is noisy but works, valves need adjusted. Probably forgot some stuff, but I daily it around 100 miles round trip to work and home. Tow regularly with it and use it for everything. That being said trying to get an idea of what its worth in current condition. Haven't posted it anywhere yet. Any input appreciated 5fc6e59473650b9f5a72fa4217a00858.jpgf1ae884435781efb5e440981a104d29a.jpg266f5357e830aff663cef2fa5ed1654e.jpgd83a8f247d6b7709ba9a809cd415040b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You’ll get next to nothing unless it’s a slow month at dealer and end of month is best for working a deal , but if you have room / space and time  ( all need lots ) parting with probably get you the most $$$ .... but you have to be patient to get the $$ and don’t give extra pieces with sales or forget it and sell as is or trade.