Torque Monkey

Trying to bring back the old paint

I have been doing a little research and talking with some friends about trying to make the paint on my Dodge look a bit better. It has been a long and tedious process but it’s getting better.

I have washed, clay bared, rough cut, medium cut, fine cut/polish and nano polished/sealed the rear fenders and hood. There are still a ton of scratches but it’s way better.

Here is the line up.

ccaf6d606bcc6a357985c3a4f9839185.jpg

Going from right to left. Hoss turned me on to the Chemical Guys. Their stuff seems to work great!

This is after clay bar.

b4e99b5be71c0036f0d4f6dbcf74f456.jpg

This is after the whole process.

1fa89bf9490a6da31347cd247ea0e2a8.jpg

I can’t seem to get all of the scratches out but it is much better than it was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I cant take credit for the chemical guys referral it was Mark Smith who hooked me up when I went and picked up the new truck. 

He sold me on their leather cleaner and he even bought me a sample kit and sent it to the house for me to try! 

The man did not want to see me ruin my leather seats! I have never had leather and had no idea how to care for it. 

I have been impressed with everything I have bought from them. 

I really want to fix the 6 or 8 rock chips in the front end and put a clear bra on my truck. 

The company your talking about was at the two day track day event I was at over the past weekend ( NorCal Shelby club) .. they set up right behind out trailer. Some strange product I’ve never seen and a lot of restore/paint cleaners huge selections of products. 

Had fun fun at the track event .. my old friend (50 years) got two hundred and thirty track miles on his Cobra. All total probably around  200 cars .. GT350’s, Cobras, some exotics old racer cars , fun times at Sears Point 

• Like 1

Dang, nice work Ben! You're making me feel bad for neglecting my truck. :lol:

7 hours ago, SMOKN05 said:

Dang, nice work Ben! You're making me feel bad for neglecting my truck. :lol:

I have neglected it for it for so long that I’m not sure I am making it better or not. Now I am seeing all the chips and scratches.

I ordered new towing mirror for it also. The old ones are really scratched up and nasty looking. The new towing mirrors will have turn signals and puddle lights also.

After all that work, I'll add I'm a huge fan of Cermacoating.  Now's the time if your considering it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C Paul Go said:

After all that work, I'll add I'm a huge fan of Cermacoating.  Now's the time if your considering it.

The Jet Seal I’m using from Chemical Guys is supposed to be an equivalent but no ceramic. It’s a 12 month application. If it doesn’t work well then I will be using Cermacoat. I just couldn’t swallow the price for it right now.☹️

• Like 1

I have ordered some touch up paint that comes with clear. I’m going to try to fill some of the bigger rock chips.you can see some in the picture of the hood. Time has taken its toll on this truck.☹️ Also I wanted to add that I bought a dual action polisher from Harbor Freight and it works great! I have an older Porter Cable 7” polisher with variable speed. All it really did was throw polish everywhere. After talking to one of my neighbors I found the dual action polishers work way better and doesn’t seem to throw polish everywhere.

I have also been looking into options to restore the black trim. Either dies or a heat gun may be my next try. Not really sure yet.

Anybody know anything about engine dressing?

Engine dressing???

Ive always just kept the hood closed. Out of sight..... out of mind and all that. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

The Jet Seal I’m using from Chemical Guys is supposed to be an equivalent but no ceramic. It’s a 12 month application. If it doesn’t work well then I will be using Cermacoat. I just couldn’t swallow the price for it right now.☹️

Maguire's has a new one out. It's a spray bottle, Blue color. A bottle would do your truck. About 20 bucks.  I used it on my new boat trailer wheels.  

• Like 1

I'm a fan of Simple green for this. Underside of hood first. Then down to the fender jams and then onto the cool motor.

5 hours ago, marksmith said:

Engine dressing???

Ive always just kept the hood closed. Out of sight..... out of mind and all that. 

That is the method I have been using. I’m looking for just a little more.🤣

4 hours ago, C Paul Go said:

I'm a fan of Simple green for this. Underside of hood first. Then down to the fender jams and then onto the cool motor.

That is what I usually use. If it’s really bad I have had good luck with Castro’s Super Clean but it isn’t easy to find and it can damage some finishes so I try not to get to crazy with it.

I was thinking of something to make it look nicer after degreasing. I guess those detail place just hose the engines down with Armorall and call it good. I’m not going to be doing that....

Looks great! Congrats on the hard work.

Is the rubber and plastic trim fading to gray or is it essentially a dull black yet?

25 minutes ago, Ol Blue said:

Looks great! Congrats on the hard work.

Is the rubber and plastic trim fading to gray or is it essentially a dull black yet?

Dull black, basically.

Good. Get some Mother's CMX. It is a ceramic seal that is available wherever you are, not expensive and works really well to clean and then protect rubber,and plastic. It also works to protect chrome, and yes paint. If you use it on a dark paint like yours you'll have to go back over it with a spritz of water and clean microfiber towel to get the haze off. The have isn't obvious on white paint.

Use it or RainX on the wiper blades, plastic headlights and tail lights, etc. 

The next best looks to be the product Paul recommended to me. I'll go look up what it is and be right back.

Ok, I'm back...

Trim Shine by Stoner. It was at O'Reilly's after I went back a second time and found it.

Serious kudos to you for doing all the steps!

Edited by Ol Blue

6 minutes ago, Ol Blue said:

Good. Get some Mother's CMX. It is a ceramic seal that is available wherever you are, not expensive and works really well to clean and then protect rubber, plastic, chrome, and yes paint. If you use it in a dark paint like yours you'll have to go back over it with a spritz of water and clean microfiber towel to get the haze off immediately.

Use it or rained on the wiper blades, plastic headlights and tail lights, etc. 

The next best looks to be the product Paul recommended to me. I'll go look up what it is and be right back.

Serious kudos to you for doing all the steps!

Thanks Rob! I’ll give it a shot.

• Like 1

I installed 4 th gen towing mirrors on the truck. They are a bit longer so I might actually be able to see around the camper now. The 4th gen mirror is the closer one.

3e01a8b9fdd4d6c4a85def2969a52aa5.jpg

I had to pull the wires for the puddle lights and turn signals through the door jam.

05cb061c3f00792f5e8f4d9e0e1e0685.jpg

73087ff4354f3097fdbca751b8249ff6.jpg

I need to identify the wires in the dash for the turn signals and puddle lights still but the rest of the install is complete.

05c07d92ce6b1d244031c7d6c3769b2b.jpg

8e670178174018820834a9bb4d883776.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Better wire up and install a distance proximity big Azz red light  so when you pull up to your lift and forget the mirrors the RED DUMBAZZ light flashes in your eyes 

1 hour ago, GTroyer said:

Better wire up and install a distance proximity big Azz red light  so when you pull up to your lift and forget the mirrors the RED DUMBAZZ light flashes in your eyes 

Wouldn’t help.... I really can’t see anything anyhow. Maybe a siren???🤣🤣🤣

It’s a real good thing they are break-away.🤣

• Haha 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.