BOMBER Board

After a lot of consideration I’m parting with my daily driver 2nd Gen and just replaced it with a 2007. It wasn’t an easy decision because there’s a lot to love about the character of a second Gen, and for me there’s plenty of nostgia, but a daily driver needs to be reliable and reasonably trouble free and not too demanding on upkeep. My ‘98.5 has been a fun truck but the last 1-1/2 years a number of issues have kept cropping up and I haven’t had the time and funds to keep addressing or resolving them.  Secondly I needed a truck with 4 doors because I have a g/f now with several kids that I’m packing around the time. Time to move on.

After a lot of searching the past few months I picked up a 2007 quad cab 2wd short box with G56 transmission. Finding a good 2wd with manual was not easy. So far liking the truck a lot. And I’m happy to be rowing gears again!  Picked it up in Phoenix and drove it home a couple weekends ago.

Interesting MPG is about the same in town as it is on the highway, probably because of the low gearing (2300 at 70, I usually set the cruise at 2400). Getting about 18.5 highway, last tank all in-town short trip was 18.7.  My 98 was generally 16 in town, 20-21 highway. Hoping to get the hgihway MPG up on the ‘07.

Don’t have a lot of pics but here’s a couple.

E3E837B8-6905-4270-A208-3E0E1BADAB46.jpeg

D13FBB0D-B1C7-4B17-9DF4-4608F7BC1B33.jpeg

24DDC2A6-9C46-4520-A371-B5914CCD19FE.jpeg

You are seeing right at what I get with my 06 as far as mileage and mine is an auto.  It doesn't change much in town or on the highway.  Good luck getting that highway mileage up.  If you are successful, please let me know how you did it.

Mine changes drastically on the highway, but my truck is set up completely different than pretty much everyone elses lol. Vaughn I take it the truck is all stock? How many miles? EFI Live would be a good addition, a good mileage tune.

We re-geared my 07 4x4 with 3.42, put in a late model G56 with the higher overdrive gear, and also added the Colt big stick cam.  I don't get to the 70+ MPH roads often, so cruising at 65 or less gets me 22~23 on the highway.

Skyking, what was involved in your gear swap, was it expensive?  Luckily I only have to do the rear.   MPG drops dramatically over 70mph, I ran part of a tank at 80 and only got 15.5 mpg which is terrible compared to my '98 which would do 19 at the same speed.  I know there are two things working against me, higher RPM, and the fact 3rd Gen trucks have higher wind resistance than 2nd Gen.  It does fell like at 80 this truck is having to work harder to push through the wind than my '98.  I'm hoping with better gearing and tuning it can offset that.

Now that I have put some miles on my truck it gets 18 to 19 in town, 17-18.5 highway.  I've owned a lot of Dodge Cummins over the years, this is the first one I've seen that gets better mileage in town!!

I just looked up the part on Amazon if turned out to be the cheapest price.

I'm right in the middle of working on the new beetle putting on a skid plate or I would look it up for you. :)

No worries Kelly, I can Google it. Was ring gear & pinon sets? Did you have someone install it?

I had it done at a little place called Stella :D

Ben did all the hard work and provided the expertise and tools. 

I just looked, the 3.42 rear gears for my truck are now $444, and I added a $238 master overhaul set. 

summit racing has the gears much better at 282

Master overhaul is 242

Congratulations on your new truck Vaughn!! :)

It's a beaut!

Thanks guys. I’m enjoying the truck a lot! BOMBing will commence in the near future, I am swapping my tubular exhaust header and Garrett BB turbo over from my old truck and Bob is hooking me up with a Smarty.

I just came across Chinook pass with my ~8500 pound 5th wheel, and kept the EGT below 1100 with the smarty on #5. 

With those gears and stock tires, 55 is ~2000 rpm in 5th. 

It climbed all the grades fine, and with the small trailer I even climbed the 45 mph section in 5th and 1700 for a while. 

That camshaft is the bees knees, thanks to Dave for Suggesting (insisting?) On it :)

drop to 4th and it's turning ~2700 @ 55, I think it would climb up a cliff :D