The time has come to switch gears. I have decided that I want to get a dual sport motorcycle and start exploring. I have been following a couple of dual sport groups on FB and it looks like a blast. Have not purchased a bike yet as I am still in the research process but I am liking the looks of KTM bikes. I also still need to get my motorcycle endorsement so I can ride it on the road but all on good time.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

After talking to a couple well informed people about my goals and what I want my capabilites to be, it looks like the bike I will be going after is either a KTM 690 Enduro R or a Husqvarna 701 Enduro. These essentially are the same bike except for a couple of features that come factory. KTM bought Husqvarna from BMW in January of 2013. So, a lot of the R&D is colaberated between the 2 companies.

I'm sure Cliff "Diesel Freak" has lots of knowledge on dirt bikes if you wanted to pick his brain. 

I'm sure Cliff "Diesel Freak" has lots of knowledge on dirt bikes if you wanted to pick his brain. 
I have talked to him some. My cousin was basically born with a bike between his legs also.

Good choice. Nothing wrong with a KLR or XR650L either depending on your wants, needs and budget or even a DRZ. 

• Like 2

Good choice. Nothing wrong with a KLR or XR650L either depending on your wants, needs and budget or even a DRZ. 
Yea I have looked at the KLR, XR650L, and DRZ. The one thing I like about the KTM and Husky is the weight. They both weigh in around 319LBS dry. My cousin advised me away from the KLR due to the weight as he had one but that was pretty much his only complaint I am aware of.

13 minutes ago, Austin The DieselTech said:

Yea I have looked at the KLR, XR650L, and DRZ. The one thing I like about the KTM and Husky is the weight. They both weigh in around 319LBS dry. My cousin advised me away from the KLR due to the weight as he had one but that was pretty much his only complaint I am aware of.

KLR good for more roads, longer legs, bigger tank more comfort. XR more so in the bush. I had an XR and loved it. They built the same bike for about 2.5 decades now, easy to find parts, hard to kill. . 

Edited by Woodenhead
  • Like 2

KLR good for more roads, longer legs, bigger tank more comfort. XR more so in the bush. I had an XR and loved it. They built the same bike for about 2.5 decades now, easy to find parts, hard to kill. . 
Yea those older Hondas are extremely hard to kill and maintenance intervals are almost non-existant.

Just now, Austin The DieselTech said:

Yea those older Hondas are extremely hard to kill and maintenance intervals are almost non-existant.

I think they’re part tractor lol. Mine was a ‘93. 

• Like 1

I sold all my bikes 😕. The hard part for me was not enough family time as it was. Then to go riding I’d have to ditch the family at home. Wasn’t so bad when the kids were small but once they got more active and wanting to hang out with the old man my priorities changed. 

14 hours ago, Woodenhead said:

I rode my KLR to cali, crater laker, and the middle of the dark divide many times...  I miss that bike a lot

the Victory is for sale....

P9110162.JPG

P9120184.JPG

0731001239.jpg

Had a Honda 650L..... loved that pig. 

If I ran across a plated 650R tomorrow, I’d have to think very hard not to snag it

Mike at Diesel Outfitters just bought a 1290, really nice bike. I believe he is selling his KLR that is still in outstanding shape... Might be worth a call.

I think if I were to get one it'd be the KTM 690 also... Just not sure how my knees would like it... 

Yep I just saw Mike yesterday. He loves that new bike and I believe the other one is going up forsale......