199712valve

Looking at a 4th gen 2014 3500 day cab 4x4 stick....

Anyone have a manual trans 4th gen? Do they drive ok?  I don't need big power numbers anymore.... Thanks

Before you commit to a stick shift you should drive any of the newest automatics. 

I was a die hard manual guy myself, but I tell you it takes  out a lot of the chore of city driving, and without a doubt it is faster accelerating.

On curvey mountain roads it is nice to be able to use both hands on the steering wheel.

Most of the newer autos have some type of manual mode that let's you control the up and down shifts.

Travis I have a friend who has a 2017 6 speed truck he is a die hard hand shaker as well. He did a south bend clutch in it already because the stock clutch was having issues with towing his 5th wheel and the clutch slipping. 

He has driven a couple Aisin trucks now and if he had it to do over would have gone with an auto. 

I know I am glad I made the switch! 

With all that said the transmission works very well and he likes it he just has a huge 5th wheel and I think that the fact that these engines love REALLY low RPM's make it harder on a clutch to live. 

I like the tow/haul mode a lot on my new truck,coupled with the factory exhaust brake, it’s a winner!

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the info guys. I got some more pictures of the truck and it was a bit rough  so I had to pass on it anyways. 

I test drove 3 manual 4th gens before buying mine. If your use to any acceleration, you'll want more power. They are turds stock. I have no doubt they still pull fine but they struggle to get out their own way compared to the auto truck. 

Edited by DRobinson

They are turned down a ton. The dual mass flywheel doesn’t like to play.... at all. 

How can you tell if an auto truck has an asian trans?  

Should you stay away from the older 10-12 non def?  

Looking for a 3500 reg cab 4x4. (Want rear leaf springs)

Is there a certain character in the vin that says?

Thanks for the info!!

Quickest way, trans dipstick on driver side under hood for the aisin.

If you are putting it on a diet the 10-12 shouldn't be counted out. If not, I'd go 13 up.

• Like 1

What he said! 

Just be aware that if you go after a 10-12 truck (or a DEF truck for that matter) that the tuning needed to make the DPF go away is not going to be available much longer and if that is in your plan you should act quickly. 

Like the H&S mini max this stuff IS going away. 

I do plan on deleting some parts off the truck btw... So I guess it doesn't matter what year to look at. I think the 10-12 ish 2500s are still leaf sprung rear too...

I do plan on deleting some parts off the truck btw... So I guess it doesn't matter what year to look at. I think the 10-12 ish 2500s are still leaf sprung rear too...
My 2014 3500 has rear leafs.

Travis check your messages on Messenger.

Well I found a truck I'm trying to buy, its a 2017 3500 4x4 srw day cab. aisin trans.  

It has low miles and all the options I want. Plus a decent price. 

I went to becu and they say it's a commercial vehicle since it's a cab chassis and I need a business licence to finance it. Anybody else ran into this? 

Thanks in advance!!

8 hours ago, 199712valve said:

Well I found a truck I'm trying to buy, its a 2017 3500 4x4 srw day cab. aisin trans.  

It has low miles and all the options I want. Plus a decent price. 

I went to becu and they say it's a commercial vehicle since it's a cab chassis and I need a business licence to finance it. Anybody else ran into this? 

Thanks in advance!!

I have never heard of that! 

Start a business.  Wood cutting?

Sometimes up here there are different loans for commercial. Lower rate shorter term stuff.

Maybe the bank sees the C&C as a work truck only. 

I know after my State Farm agent saw the flatbed and front bumper my insurance went from $60 mo to $95 only explanation was “ to cover them in accident or theft” I later went elsewhere 

• Like 1

Looks like the dealer may have found someone to finance it, I'll find out tomorrow more details. 

I hope insurance isn't through the roof since we have young drivers in the household so it's bad already. 

Firewood biz may be an idea to have there Paul.... ??

I should know more tomorrow..

Anyone want to go pick it up in Texas?? 😁  LOL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 199712valve said:

Looks like the dealer may have found someone to finance it, I'll find out tomorrow more details. 

I hope insurance isn't through the roof since we have young drivers in the household so it's bad already. 

Firewood biz may be an idea to have there Paul.... ??

I should know more tomorrow..

Anyone want to go pick it up in Texas?? 😁  LOL

Good luck Travis!!!!!!!!!!!

Truck is on hold in Texas....just trying to get the numbers to line up for me.  Hope it all works out. 

Mr Hoss may be able to post a pic, that's way above my skill level!!

Here is the Texas truck 248b91ea43e9cdf94aceb015e715a7b3.jpg

• Like 1