Destro

Golf getting a bunch of work before college

After I decided I would be going to college in Florida, and hoped to take my car, my dad and I decided that we should do all of the work other then regular maintenance that might need to e done while I am there. we will be installing a south bend stage 2 endurance clutch & flywheel, Franko6 Stage II cam, PD130 injectors, motor mounts, timing belt & filters, hoses, axles,  suspension bushings & Bilstein TC Sports. 

Most of this would not have been on the table had it not been for Ben's willingness to help and provide shop space; and none of it would have been possible without the support(funding) of my dad.

Thank you both!

• Like 2

Here is the progress from day one and two, which was stopped by a wrong axle seal and lack of new pressure plate bolts. However we have completed the and cleaning of transmission, installation of new flywheel and removing the lower control arms.1447327113_tdinotranshanging.jpg.5bde4a829e25a9ef7074d07cf6c9b98a.jpg

1323802211_tdiwithnewflywheelnoteroom.jpg.bc0b5bd0593c3e9e599b18ff8510fa81.jpg

Edited by Destro
  • Like 1

Nice!!!!!! Good on Ben and your dad for helping out and you for doing your own work!!!!! 

Ivan, don’t forget to ask about a starter. If it isn’t too expensive let’s just change it. The one that is in there looks original.

• Thanks 1

WOW!  That sure is a pretty flywheel and it looks so easy to get to from there.  :bunker:

• Haha 1

About the only thing that isn't getting changed are the floor mats! There is a huge box of parts and it keeps growing! LOL!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, carl20320 said:

WOW!  That sure is a pretty flywheel and it looks so easy to get to from there.  :bunker:

Makes it so much easier when the lower suspension and sub-frame are removed. No so much when one of the bolts breaks off in the rack and pinion....:hit:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torque Monkey said:

About the only thing that isn't getting changed are the floor mats! There is a huge box of parts and it keeps growing! LOL!

Oh, I think I know the next thing he needs to get.  :banana:

:hit:

1 hour ago, skyking said:

IF only there was enough room for twins /evil grin

Ive seen it done...... but I don’t think Ben can......

Oh... I can... Carl????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

Oh... I can... Carl????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:right:  bullseye!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, marksmith said:

:right:  bullseye!!!

NICE SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ThumbsUP:

The ol' Tom Sawyer whitewash the fence trick!!!!! :right: 

I wonder how many are thinking "who is Tom Sawyer and what is whitewash?" :cf: 

It's worth it to see the look on Ivan's face. I think Carl and I almost have him talked into running for President. If he wins we will compound turbo the Golf. My real fear is Ivan will do it.... without breaking a sweat. LOL!

• Like 1

Man, this forum is full of :pot_stirrer:.

I told Ivan if he earns the full ride 3 year NROTC scholarship for next year, we can do it.  Now the ball is back in his court. 

But he still has to get in NROTC this year with and that means upping his game on his PT training. 💪    Time to put his :mn: where his  :blah: is for his first 2 semesters.  :right:  Maybe this is a little added incentive.

For some reason, I don't think that South Bend Stage 2 Endurance would hold compounds.

Edited by carl20320

19 hours ago, marksmith said:

Ive seen it done...... but I don’t think Ben can......

That sounds to me like Mark is willing to fund this experiment a little bit sooner.  Just how badly do you want to "prove" that Ben can't do it?  :right:

Edited by carl20320
  • Haha 1

If that’s the case.... I have two Jetta wagons that he can’t do it to.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marksmith said:

If that’s the case.... I have two Jetta wagons that he can’t do it to.....

Hmmm, back pedaling already.  This is a Golf thread, not a Jetta thread.  :right:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, carl20320 said:

Man, this forum is full of :pot_stirrer:.

I told Ivan if he earns the full ride 3 year NROTC scholarship for next year, we can do it.  Now the ball is back in his court. 

But he still has to get in NROTC this year with and that means upping his game on his PT training. 💪    Time to put his :mn: where his  :blah: is for his first 2 semesters.  :right:  Maybe this is a little added incentive.

For some reason, I don't think that South Bend Stage 2 Endurance would hold compounds.

I think the clutch would be one of many things to go.... 

Here is the next update from yesterday: 

422870849_clutchinstalled.thumb.jpg.2875eaca976b60815beae1f7350520ff.jpg

The clutch and pressure plate went in great and Ben explained how having the OFE clutch design works, which was super interesting.

and then the transmission was reinstalled along with the new starter, it was SUPER EASY with the sub frame out, Ben had been saying how on the other mk4 clutches navigating the transmission in and out was a pain, however after dropping the sub frame the steering rack is very easy to push out of the way allowing the transmission to just be lifted in or dropped out with almost no resistance.

777637659_transmissionbackin.jpg.68d54b61bc64b68e589e27e6ebb4b302.jpg

Ben also pressed in the bushings for the lower control arms, so we will be ready to replace all of the front suspension on Sunday.

• Like 2

👍👍👍

nice job guys and financier aka Bank of Dad 🥴

3 hours ago, GTroyer said:

👍👍👍

nice job guys and financier aka Bank of Dad 🥴

Bank of Dad has the first tuition payment due in 3 weeks as well. :alarm:

Nice work guys! Ah thee ol Bank Of Dad. I know it well. Why is it when I deal with a banker I'm on the losing end, and when I AM the banker..... I'm on the losing end?! :lol:

2 hours ago, SMOKN05 said:

Nice work guys! Ah thee ol Bank Of Dad. I know it well. Why is it when I deal with a banker I'm on the losing end, and when I AM the banker..... I'm on the losing end?! :lol:

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I know when I was kid there was no such thing as the Bank of Dad! 

It was the bank of Get yourself a job! 

My kids both have jobs and it’s still the bank of Dad.. 

I must say, I would rather them pay me minimal interest than pay the bank interest.

We just give them the interest back at the end of the year ! 

Forced savings for them both..

Here is an update from the past few times we have been working on the golf. We removed all of the parts that are to be replaced, and installed the new injectors, PD130's from the European tdi.  It seems like every time we get going and hope to finish up a part and move on, there is a part that was wrong, missing or damaged. Cascade German has been great about this, usually having the part in the next day with no questions asked. this last roadblock was due to one of the modified bearings that comes with the cam being damaged, so we are at a standstill until the new one comes in. the good news is that when I contacted Cascade German they got me on the phone with Frank the guy who makes the cams and modifies the bearings, who was looking at pictures of the failed bearing, he immediately got a mailing address to ship out my parts the next day as it was after their shop had closed, after that we talked about his manufacturing process and installation procedures, all and all pleased that it is being replaced with no hassle.

here are the pictures of the progress.

1129108516_valvecoverremovedtdi.thumb.jpg.96964878cf8831a742132fda0305aa30.jpg

299468914_alltheoldpartsoutoftheengine.jpg.ed77670d807b8c7c0053c589e4bcaaf7.jpg

239385761_lifterwear.jpg.59bf24e3d9cb7a45113e59a1ded68e79.jpg

1338576482_oldbearingwear.thumb.jpg.865871ce74650d4ea347f1f27b688bde.jpg

62736855_faildbearing.thumb.jpg.0f7882b5c0c9e2fceff15473297efda3.jpg

124503161_failedbearingback.thumb.jpg.93021bb5057dd2cfcc0b701c4281e832.jpg

• Like 1