Sign in to follow this  
Suprmn

98 12V Torque converter questions

I am trying to understand my new truck and figure out if I have problems of if someone might have built it this way.  The entire truck seems built for speed.  Mash the pedal and things happen quick.  Try to drive it civilized and it doesn't make me too happy.  My questions here are based on transmission.  I was unable to get any history on the truck so I don't know what I have here.  Get in the truck and drive it empty and things kind of seem fine.  However, I was towing about 8K today and this thing seems like you put it in drive and not much happens until you get above 2K+ RPM and even then, the movement seems sluggish.   I have had stick shift diesels for so long I cant remember if that is the way it is supposed to happen.  The trans was just serviced and got a clean bill of health from the shop.  Trans doesn't seem to be heating up quickly or anything.  When the torque converter locks and I lay into it, no signs of slipping transmission.  So my question is this.  Do they design torque converters to act like this for someone that wants a high horsepower truck?  Maybe someone put something like that in.   Or, based on the 40 LBS+ boost I am seeing, would the trans start to act this way if the vanes in the torque converter start to flatten out?  Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

From your other post, the converter may have a higher stall speed to help get on the charger. 

Mid throttle driving, how many Rpm drop when shifting from OD converter unlocked to locked?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marksmith said:

From your other post, the converter may have a higher stall speed to help get on the charger. 

Mid throttle driving, how many Rpm drop when shifting from OD converter unlocked to locked?

I will take the truck out and verify.  But I can say its a pretty big drop.,

On 7/13/2019 at 2:03 AM, marksmith said:

o.k.  When the converter locks in this situation it is dropping 700 rpm.  Went from 2100 to 1400.  I was kind of surprised to see that much drop.

It sounds like the "dishrag" converter that Joe (RIP) put in my first transmission for the race truck. 

He called it a dishrag because he said it was like a wet dishrag (very loose) until it locked up. 

Well, Plateau Diesel is about 100% sure my transmission is stock.  They can't believe that it has held up behind the HP the engine is putting out.  However, they gave warning that the fuse is lit and its just a matter of time.  So, that being said, who are the transmission builders of choice these days?  I read about the demise of DTT.  Goerend doesn't sell full transmissions any more, although I found a builder called MTS that appears to sell a Goerend enhanced trans.  I see Suncoast is still around, as well as BD and ATS.  But I have run into a couple of new to me names, Revmax, and Firepunk.  

For a towing transmission, who is the builder of choice these days.  I thought I heard about a builder up towards Marysville as far as a local builder.  I will search a bit more.  So if there are any recommendations, please let me know.   

I just saw the thread on Mike at Northstate.   I will give them a call.  

Thanks,

Edited by Suprmn

Just a reminder ....  high horse power and towing DO NOT mix well , be very careful.

I have had Northstate do a few manual transmission rebuilds for me and been very happy with his work.

I have heard good things about revmax but I don't have any first hand knowledge of them.

18 hours ago, stroketeck said:

Summit Trannsmission is who i use 604-612-1287

If Dave says he uses them that's good enough for me!!!!!!