BOMBER Board
jcasper

Lost another air dog on the 04.5

1 hour ago, Scotty_ said:

How many miles do you put on your truck over what period of time?

mine were seeing 10-13k miles/month so they worked a lot more then others on here.

If I had a truck that logged 10-20k/yr I doubt it would be as much of an issue. It’s the hours/miles of use I subjected them to that found the weakness. Plus varying fuel quality in usa/Canada, blends, additives etc.

Everything wears out.  Look at me. lol

LOL! My truck has a little more than 178K miles on it. Probably not the best reference to use. I use it to stop weeds from growing in the driveway these days.

i have no doubt folks have had issues. I was having a conversation with Eric about this very thing. It amazes me that manufacture can supply, the same amount of fuel @ 15K psi, more reliably than they can supply that fuel to the CP3 at 15 psi. I would have stuck with the in-tank pump in my truck but after going through 2 sets of injectors I wanted better filtration. That was the only reason I changed.

What i really want is to understand what the failures are with the FASS and the AirDogs. I am really surprised they wouldn't be more open to helping people with issues out, just to find out what went wrong and improve the product. Sadly I think in a lot of cases, it isn't about making it better. It's about profits and nothing else. I understand a business has to make a profit, i just don't understand not wanting to improve the product and reputation. Seems a lot more common these days.

Mine were inner seal failures allowing fuel to flood the windings/motor. A couple actually ran for a bit after I dried them out and replaced the o-ring. But holy heat Batman did they ever get hot!!!

My 16 at 270k miles has the factory in-tank pump.

Mine were inner seal failures allowing fuel to flood the windings/motor. A couple actually ran for a bit after I dried them out and replaced the o-ring. But holy heat Batman did they ever get hot!!!

This is exactly what I found when I tore mine apart. The seal between the pump and the motor allowed fuel to get into the motor side and end of story.

I remember talking to you about that. I know Hoss found his seal had failed as well. My question is why? I have seen an issue recently at the power plant were the seals were failing on the pre-lube oil pumps. First thing we thought were they were assembled wrong. Then it was crappy pumps/assembled wrong. Turns out, there was a design flaw and air was being introduced into the suction side of the pumps. When it got inside the pump it caused the shaft seals to fail, quickly. We made some changes to the piping to keep air from the suction side and problem solved. Been 4 years since we made the change and no further issues.

This is why I started to wonder about air getting in from the suction side. Just my theory but I am certainly not ready to write off my AirDog till I know what the issue is. JMHO. I don’t blame anyone for wanting to change to a piece of equipment that gives them better price of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

I remember talking to you about that. I know Hoss found his seal had failed as well. My question is why? I have seen an issue recently at the power plant were the seals were failing on the pre-lube oil pumps. First thing we thought were they were assembled wrong. Then it was crappy pumps/assembled wrong. Turns out, there was a design flaw and air was being introduced into the suction side of the pumps. When it got inside the pump it caused the shaft seals to fail, quickly. We made some changes to the piping to keep air from the suction side and problem solved. Been 4 years since we made the change and no further issues.

This is why I started to wonder about air getting in from the suction side. Just my theory but I am certainly not ready to write off my AirDog till I know what the issue is. JMHO. I don’t blame anyone for wanting to change to a piece of equipment that gives them better price of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one is shocked by this statement, but Ben if you could stay on topic that would be great. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, C Paul Go said:

No one is shocked by this statement, but Ben if you could stay on topic that would be great. :ph34r:

🖕😁

I don't know if anyone has ever tried Fuelab but I like the Prodigy 100 gph inline pump I put on my '98.5. Brushless motor and internal so no seals to worry about failing. 

I changed out the Fuel pump today.   Truck runs again.   Haven't left the property with it but I will try tomorrow.  I've been on light duty so I can only do so much this week.   

The new pump had a different fitting on the "out" side so I had to cut the hose that goes up to the engine and put a new fitting on it to work but they included all the parts.   

Was it the Airdog II 4G that failed? That is supposed to be the “new and improved” pump with a lovejoy coupling.  That’s what I’m running in my truck after the FASS that was on it failed after I bought the truck.  If this one fails, screw the warranty, I’m going with the mechanical belt driven off the damper pump from PDD.

1 hour ago, chief jack said:

Was it the Airdog II 4G that failed? That is supposed to be the “new and improved” pump with a lovejoy coupling.  That’s what I’m running in my truck after the FASS that was on it failed after I bought the truck.  If this one fails, screw the warranty, I’m going with the mechanical belt driven off the damper pump from PDD.

No, but the replacement is the new one. 

Speaking of failed fuel pumps...Hey Ben I’m still waiting for you to disect my 3 yr old FASS pump that failed and left me stranded and tell me what happened with it.  You still have it? 🤣

5 hours ago, chief jack said:

Speaking of failed fuel pumps...Hey Ben I’m still waiting for you to disect my 3 yr old FASS pump that failed and left me stranded and tell me what happened with it.  You still have it? 🤣

It’s still in the box under my bench. I haven’t touched it.... yet. LOL!

7 hours ago, Torque Monkey said:

It’s still in the box under my bench. I haven’t touched it.... yet. LOL!

Slacker! 🤣🤣🤣

I know.... I really need to quit sleeping. It's a total waste of time.

Yup you can sleep when your dead , want me to call to wake you at 3:00 -4:00 AM so you can start your day lol

2 hours ago, GTroyer said:

Yup you can sleep when your dead , want me to call to wake you at 3:00 -4:00 AM so you can start your day lol

Uh... no.🤣

So, I'm fixn to mount my FASS DRP pump near the tank on the frame rail as I had in the 02'truck w/Vulcan lines & large banjos etc..

I actually have two of these pumps that are runners.

While I'm there, would I be crazy/stupid to run them in line full time for durability or just wait to

swap it on the side of the road? Pressure should be same yet less strain right?

Just a thought cuz I have them is all.

TIA---Proflow

Also if someone could tune me up on a decent inline fuel filter for the Vulcan big line kit b4 the frame-mounted fass drp that would be great :)

Thanks in advance---Proflow