Kody

2013 3500 steering box preload adjustment

I’ve been searching and can only seem to find the over center adjustment for the newer style gear box.

it seems that this procedure works until the 2013 box?

I’m still having wondering issues after replacing everything in the front end on my 94 2500.

The only thing is I purchased a used 2013 1 ton steering box and used the wild horse conversion.

I was going to try to adjust it before trying to replace it or rebuild it but can’t seem to find out how.  

Hopefully someone can shed some light on it. 

Thanks 

http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/steering/steering_gear/Adjust.htm

Define replaced everything, there are so many variables it can be hard to nail down, AND there are a lot of parts to replace. Even one control arm being worn can cause issues. If you do replace it, the one from PSC is quite a bit cheaper than the one from Mopar and it is the same box.

The hubs were swapped out for the 96 f350 sw 

new ball joints, control arms, 

I installed the upgraded Mopar linkage. (I did ream Hubs and pitman arm to right pitch)

has 2013 steering box with wild horse conversion. 

And has a dual bilstein stabilizer. 

i didn’t replace the trac bar. Because I couldn’t see any flex or movement in it.

i was going to try to adjust this steering box because it seems like the only place it could be coming from before I bought a new one. 

But every procedure I look up says to adjust preload on the bearing first before the over center. 

If you have the stock drag link I would upgrade even new they are horrible. Also steering support for pitman arm makes big difference 

I do have the steering support. I forgot to mention.  

I have looked into getting the 3rd gen mount and adjustable bar. But It seems like the steering should be way better for what’s done.

thats why I was leaning to the gear box because all the reviews say everything makes a big difference. Haven’t really noticed a drastic change. 

What is the condition of your tires , are the worn on edges v/s center or visa versa , are they jumpy (out of round) , do you have a condition called river wear (worn patches that go on a good angle across the tire like a 45 degree angle ) . Have you experienced the death wobble ????? 

if any any of these conditions are there the handling will be affected and depending on severity might be heavily affected. And also will be compounded if the box is out of adjustment.

third gen boxes are a much better box over the second gen boxes . I have the same conversion and it’s been on for many years , I tow heavy much of my trucks life . I have had great service out of my third gen box on my 2001.5 3500 dually 

hope you find the cure quickly as a ill handling truck is not fun.  BTDT

The tires are virtually bran new. They were replaced with everything else. All of it has roughy 1500 miles.  Good even wear.

and also haven’t experienced death wobble.

i probably should have went  with the 3rd gen box as it seems to be easily adjusted.  But read the box was redesigned and beefier in 2013 so went with it. 

Yes thanks I love this truck but would enjoy it much more if it would drive decent 

The big box is FAR better and stronger than the 3rd gen box, there isn't even a comparison. Here you can see the sector shaft size difference between the 3rd gen redhead box I pulled and the much larger PSC big box.

0616191337 (2).jpg

Do you have a recommendation on who to buy the psc big bore box from? 

I flushed the power steering fluid with a synthetic oil. And adjusted the over center screw down. And it’s much better. But it still not right.  

I read to adjust screw down until there’s minimal to no slop in the steering wheel. Im pretty sure the screw is bottomed out and I still have a inch and a half of slop. Which I’m sure it’s way over tightened. It has less wondering but it’s starting to pull since the adjustment. But it’s looking like I’m going to just have to go with a new box. 

Kody do a search on here re steering and alignment ... many threads back a few years ago 

some talking about caster angle might be of some interest to you / reading pleasure 

Kody I am sure you have done this but I am still asking...…..Have you had it aligned? I don't mean just using a tape measure to check. I know there is not a lot they can do but My 02 was much better after having a alignment.

Yea it’s been aligned. The shop said it was all within spec. But prolly wouldn’t hurt to have a different shop check it.