BOMBER Board
GTroyer

What do you prefer and why

So with planking fish n meats what plank do you prefer and why .. alder and or cedar are the ones I’ve found so far. 

Wife de and I have never used at home and are going to try them out

favorite recipes anyone ??

Not a fan of the cedar. 

Alder and oak get my vote. 

Salmon recipe?  Garlic pepper and salt. In that order over fillet. Let set on plank for ten minutes before going in bbq. Sprinkle lemon pepper right before hitting grill. 

Top of fillet will start to flake and plank side will be less done. Experiment accordingly. 

Of course, soak your planks in water. 

I don't do the plank thing.  I do not understand the reasoning for intentionally keeping heat form one side of what you are cooking and unless they are burning, the contact time with the plank is not likely to impart any real flavor into what you are cooking e.g. it takes time even for whiskey in contact with oak to start to extract out flavors form the wood.  Only usefull purpose I see is keeping the fish from sticking to a grill grate.

Dont the planks burn a bit, giving the fish a bit of smoke flavor?

On a gas bbq at correct temp, the smoke whirls around the top of the plank and does, in fact, give it a slight smokey flavor.

I don't like cedar as much as fruit wood chips. I soak the plank so much it doesn't smoke. The I rely on the chips in the smoker box for the flavor.

Input tin foil on the plank and the salmon skin side down. When done, have 2 plates or a cutting board and a plate. 

Take the fish off with the foil face side up in the plate, cover it with the other and flip over so the foil is up. Peel the foil and the skin comes with it. Flip back over onto the plate or nice, unburned,.oiled plank, right side up.

Easy and makes for a nice looking complete fillet with no skin that is easy to serve and eat. 

Made salmon on a cedar plank a few times.. It’s ok,but I prefer no plank. Sometimes a small pan of chips on the far burner for some smoke.. Have a good recipe and brine from a native friend for 40 years. Seems to keep everyone happy.

• Like 1

Doing Salmon on the smoker low and slow with whiskey barrel pellets tonight

little bit of dehydrated lime and a little bit of cayenne rub.

• Like 1

Hickory chips in a small smoker box, salmon on a cedar plank over the center burner that was off so no cedar smoke.617a12c5150826eaa7f2670d4a6d3750.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1