Sign in to follow this  
Phil B

06 Radiator - fix or replace ?

Now I move on to the next question - What is the consensus these days of fixing the radiator? An 06 with 115K is running hotter than I like. New water pump, fan clutch replaced, etc. 

Can these radiators be rodded out like days of old or is a new one the way to go. If it needs to be a new one, which one? As always, all thoughts and comments appreciated. Thanks, Phil B

Edited by Phil B

Performance Radiator has a factory replacement that I’ve never had issue with. 

Imho it isn’t worth cleaning them out vs replacing. 

Agree 100% with Mark .. the stuff they use today best to replace

as to your PM Phil .. I have a bunch of old TDR friends and several of us were X-racers we ( if I remember correctly 6 of us )  did a group buy and special ordered a lil larger and thicker finned than stock radiator from Griffin radiator , I “saved” mine and installed it about 2 or3 years ago .

i would use them again if I were buying again .. it’s a nice one with fully welded seams n tank .. all aluminum 

problem imho rodding one out it won’t last like a new one so your just prolonging the issue . And unless you pay them to thoroughly clean one on the outer fins the lower part of it will be heavily gunked up with oil and road debris as the road draft crap jjst get in it everywhere on the lower third ... a PIA to clean out 

Thanks Gary. I did a little reading and I sure see why you did a special group purchase. Thanks

Mark, Thanks for the input. Pricewise they appear to be the way to go. I sure do like your Teddy Roosevelt quote.

Edited by Phil B

Also agree with Mark, I just replaced mine with a Mishimoto OEM replacement. Stock one lasted 140K figured another stock type one was just fine vs a full aluminum one at a considerable cost increase. It's the same price as the Performance Radiator, and they appear to be the same quality and warranty, they might even be made at the same place, the downside to the Mishimoto was the wait. IF you're not worried about cost, one of the guys on the DTX board just installed a Griffin combo unit, it deletes the fan and fan clutch, comes with wiring ect, but it is NOT cheap. http://www.griffinrad.com/load_details3.php?PartID=433&id=CU-00234&year=2006&make=Dodge&model=Ram&select_Main_Group=&select_Sub_Group=&select_Sub_Group_model=&select_Sub_Group_Engine=&select_Sub_Group_HorsePower=&key_id=8-00234