BOMBER Board
HOSS

Out with the old in with the new

I got really tired of being constantly worried about taking my boat anywhere because the trailer was not rated for the weight and I just plain hate single axle trailers. Absolutely no safety factor with them. So I fixed that issue yesterday!

27dbe34bf3fc034673a19037fc4651ed.jpg5bb10bcacc52e78def86d51c51fb2e39.jpgd33b58ebc38d329160c6609c5efbb49c.jpg2d37180f43779ae2eaa08a223b0789d2.jpgbd77be9e3bff56d93a2e29d29aaa8fa0.jpgd8eb18475a6a887b37d50c9b56150929.jpg

• Like 2

From this to this 555a63ba34e6c6820c4567c0f9f979d9.jpg10c7bc7bc8d3475c6decb228e43c7eaf.jpg

New trailer makes the boat look bigger!

I've heard really good things about King.

18 hours ago, C Paul Go said:

I've heard really good things about King.

They are a little more expensive that the EZ Loaders but built better IMHO I love that they have a removable spindle/hub assembly. If you burn up a bearing and damage the spindle you just remove one nut and pull the whole thing off the torsion bar. On most trailers you have to replace the entire axle. The spare tire is sitting on a complete spindle/hub assembly so in a pinch you can remove the damaged one and bolt on a complete new one already to go from spindle mount to lug nuts! 

They also use a bearing setup that you grease from the end of the spindle that pushes grease to the back of the rear bearing through it and through the front bearing and the old grease comes out the front dust cap area. So you pump in new grease until you see all the old stuff come out and start seeing new grease and your bearing are repacked. They guarantee them for 6 years! The bunks are 4"x4" treated with no carpet on them and a really cool bunk slide material on them. The wiring is much more well built as well. I am very happy with it.  

• Like 1

From this to this 555a63ba34e6c6820c4567c0f9f979d9.jpg10c7bc7bc8d3475c6decb228e43c7eaf.jpg
Do you notice mich difference towing? I get the safety aspect. I've been debating this with our aluminum aswell.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Absolutely!!!!! The boat does not bounce over bumps like it used to and tracks much better! It does not lean into corners and just the piece of mind knowing if I have a tire problem it has a backup is worth the price of admission for me.  

• Like 1

Absolutely!!!!! The boat does not bounce over bumps like it used to and tracks much better! It does not lean into corners and just the piece of mind knowing if I have a tire problem it has a backup is worth the price of admission for me.  
Did you source a used similar trailer or did you go new?

19 hours ago, srt6 said:

Did you source a used similar trailer or did you go new?

I looked around for used and found that the only reason people sell used is because their trailers are falling apart. 

I thought it would be easy to find a nice used trailer that a guy was selling because he keeps his boat in dry dock etc but that was not the case. Every one I looked at was far worse than mine so I opted for a new King trailer from Boat Country. 

Main reason for a King is they are built in Marysville and have great corrosion protection. 

• Like 1

You'll like those spindles. I have used them on all my trailers for years.

I keep a grease gun in the truck. Usually 2 pumps is all that's required at the end of the day. Rotate while filling. I use a roll up trailer tire changer that picks ups the axle. Two allows one side to be done at a time. 

My jet sled had 10's of thousands of miles and perfect bearings using this system. With the hub completely full of grease, it can't suck air to any appreciable amount as the bearing buddys do. I am a fan to say the least. 

Dave

I keep a grease gun in the truck. Usually 2 pumps is all that's required at the end of the day. Rotate while filling. I use a roll up trailer tire changer that picks ups the axle. Two allows one side to be done at a time. 

My jet sled had 10's of thousands of miles and perfect bearings using this system. With the hub completely full of grease, it can't suck air to any appreciable amount as the bearing buddys do. I am a fan to say the least. 

Dave
I really like them! The other thing I love is the spare tire with a complete hub/bearing assembly. If for some reason a bearing does go bad it's just one but to remove and the entire hub comes off and the new assembly goes on and down the road I go! These are the only torsion axles that have removable hubs that can be changed out on the road.

20 minutes ago, HOSS said:
2 hours ago, Fishin2Deep4U said:

Dave

I really like them! The other thing I love is the spare tire with a complete hub/bearing assembly. If for some reason a bearing does go bad it's just one but to remove and the entire hub comes off and the new assembly goes on and down the road I go! These are the only torsion axles that have removable hubs that can be changed out on the road.

That is a benefit of the torsion axles. The ability to swap a spindle roadside. But I think as long as you follow the greasing schedule, it will be peace of mind and nothing more. I don't think you'll ever need it. That said, if I could do the same with straight axles, I would also carry a spare. 

Speaking of spares, I need to get or make 2 spare tire carriers. 

Dave