Bulldog

What tires do you like?

The 2015 is in need of new tires and I'm interested in what you guys like.  I want something a little aggressive for winter driving, but also want something good for highways. 

Suggestions?

Assume 17” rim 

no help if it is as I have never had larger than 16”

Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my truck are going strong.

Nice grip in snow/ice.  Does well in rain and water.

Slick surfaces they do OK, but require some wheel spin to clean out.  They air down very well for sand.

Deeper mud and sloppy conditions...... not so much.  BUT, if you're worried about deep mud, you'd be stepping up to a mud terrain.

Overall, I give these a 8.5/10.  They whine a little at highway speeds, but its not deafening. Regular rotations are a must.  Mine like to cup a bit on the front (could be needing an alignment too) . So far, 21K miles on them and they are about 70%.  Half this time has been loaded and/or pulling a trailer.

I like the Toyo A/T 2's they are a great all round tire more aggressive than the all terrain and wear longer and quieter than the mud terrain

I like round and black.

If I’m not running 99.9% highway I’d consider BFG KO/2’s as well.

For a pavement princess I can’t complain about the Kuhmos. Great on ice and mud as well as moderate snow.

Been running cooper AT3's on my truck for the past several sets.  Have held up better than any other tire short of the original Michelin road tires.  They have done well on gravel, snow, & ice.  Haven't been in any real sand or mud to speak of but would not expect to be that great as the are just AT tires.  Price has been really nice as well.

• Like 1

i had toyo at2 on my 2005 single wheel, wet pavement traction wasnt good for me.they were down to around 50% when i removed them. bought a set of nitto trail grapplers from Skyking.they werent new. those nittos were superior in all conditions to the toyos. they made a nice hum on the highway but that was the only drawback IMHO.  my 17 dually has coopers at3. only had it a month, seem fine so far.

I don't do any off roading with this truck. 90% highway but still want a little aggressive tread for winter. 

Thank you all for the suggestions. Much appreciated. 

I have Goodyear duratrac on my 2017.   First set wouldn't balance.  Second set is better but only about 95% of what I expect.    Snow traction however is better then any Toyo I have ever owned.    

Edited by jcasper
  • Like 2

I have put a lot miles on Cooper Tires, they have a good selection of hwy and traction tread designs, I also Ran 2 sets of the stock Firestones on the 3rd gen, ran them both to about 70k miles.

7 hours ago, livingez_123 said:

I have put a lot miles on Cooper Tires, they have a good selection of hwy and traction tread designs, I also Ran 2 sets of the stock Firestones on the 3rd gen, ran them both to about 70k miles.

i have purchased 26 cooper tires in the past 4 years.  i run the AT3's on most rigs but have had great luck and performance with several of their designs.

SIL put Goodyear duratrac on his this spring, he likes them so far but not enough miles or time to see how they last or traction in all conditions. So far in wet roads and light snow they have been good. I have always run BFGoodrich on the 2004, they have worn well and have good traction in everything but wet conditions, after a few years, they are pretty slippery on wet roads.

Edited by rubystargoats

I've had great luck with the Cooper AT3's as someone said above (ran 3 sets of them on various trucks), and my latest Ford had the Duratracs with the winter rating -  a little howl on the road but great wet weather and snow traction, plus I thought they looked pretty good too.  I may look to put these on my dually before winter again. 

These abd3028c13e85c0d32321c99bfce382a.jpg721bc69f3c5418a6769256e0eec88289.jpg

On 6/4/2019 at 5:51 PM, leadfoot067 said:

i had toyo at2 on my 2005 single wheel, wet pavement traction wasnt good for me.they were down to around 50% when i removed them. bought a set of nitto trail grapplers from Skyking.they werent new. those nittos were superior in all conditions to the toyos. they made a nice hum on the highway but that was the only drawback IMHO.  my 17 dually has coopers at3. only had it a month, seem fine so far.

I noticed the same wet traction issues with the Toyo at2s on my 4th gen. I usually drop the air pressure considerably when empty, seems to help quite a bit. 

BFG AT KO2, my 97 had a few sets on her the last 10 or so years. Not too noisie and still good off road...

The new truck got these on before I picked her up from Scotty!