BOMBER Board
Sign in to follow this  
HOSS

Just got back from Sitka

I fished 3 days at Kingfisher charters in Sitka with my wife daughter and a friend from work. Is was a great time as usual (this was my 3rd time with them) they had 10 days of sunny weather and the day before we showed up a cold front moved in and it rained off and on the whole time we were there. The winds kicked up and Terry, Amanda and Dave put those patches and dramamine to the test.

The first day we had 10'-12' waves and 20-25 kn winds

The bottom fishing was great all 3 days but the king's were tough to find the first couple days the last day we limited on Kings and got couple keeper's each of the first two days.

The slot limits are getting really tight on bottom fish. Ling cod is 33"-35" only and we managed to get 3 keepers. Halibut is down to 0"-33" and over 55" a 33" butt is about 40lbs so that's a small fish. We caught a ton of bigger fish and got our keepers all 3 days. We limited on yelloweye, rockfish as well. I caught a huge octopus that was kind of cool and it made great halibut bait.

11210e7045ce692c8f9987d6e8401b6d.jpg25d059ab28975a7f7847deaab3eda3c9.jpg15a682a28372a2716c10541250331cd0.jpg2a2a20e2ccd98dbe1a693b2fb53db2e7.jpg55daecea69ab1547dd08d8bb3c52a737.jpg284c0f4dc788d2b00fe6eaf6d4c625fa.jpge4e18ff36dbb757d3f9fe17aa0b3540f.jpg57f5f72ffc8c9ce5161f66618af576f9.jpg9d2eed709b4b824b49fc647481730b87.jpg

Looks like a fun time was had by all, regardless of the weather.

Awesome trip. Wish I could have gone with you. I know for a fact your guide Mike did everything he could to get you on the fish. 

Same here .. very jealous 

glad and youguys had a great trip

It was great time. I don't mind the weather at all. Terry and Amanda both got seasick patches and took dramamine and nobody got sick. They both came close the first day but they toughed it out.
The lodge and the food were outstanding as usual. We had a hot tub and full kitchen and laundry.
You can't hardly help but enjoy yourself at that place.

• Like 1

Next time I go to Alaska for work I think that is a good reward at the end.  I should look into doing something like that in the next couple of years.   I thought the good fishing was usually a little later in the year?  That looks like it was amazing.  

Edited by jcasper

7 hours ago, jcasper said:

Next time I go to Alaska for work I think that is a good reward at the end.  I should look into doing something like that in the next couple of years.   I thought the good fishing was usually a little later in the year?  That looks like it was amazing.  

If you wait till the mid or end of July the silvers will be running and you can go after them as well. The bottom fishing is always good. 

Kingfishers Charters is a top notch outfit. They fish 4 to a boat not 15-20 like a lot of boats. They have great skippers and beautiful lodges with hot tubs full kitchens and laundry The food is unbelievable!!! Prime rib and crab, Steak and prawns, Rib eye's appetizers waiting in your room for you when you get back from fishing its awesome!!! 

I second what Hoss said. The 4 of us went there a few years ago and the place is great, food is awesome and if you can, ask for Skipper Mike. The guy is awesome. He will work his but off to get you on the fish. He is a really good guy.