DieselBound

Backup camera display mounting options for early Gen2

I would like to install a backup camera system in my truck and am wondering where people locate their display.

I don't expect to need a display that's very big, in which case I have thoughts about possibly fitting one in/on an A-pillar pod hole (as I am looking to install gauges, needing only two gauges I figure I might be able to go with a three-hole pod and use that third hole for a display- I can get a 2.5" display, either mount on the surface of the pod hole -kind of tacky- or somehow modify the pod to better accommodate) OR in the overhead console "sunglass storage" cubby.

I love to see the pod your proposing.

As there are no round displays it has to be a rectangular one.  Square peg in a round hole so to speak.  Just a regular pillar pod mount.  Perhaps notch out one of the holes to make it more recessed.

Something this small could probably be mounted just about anywhere, though I'd prefer it to be mid-to-higher level (not down on the bottom part of the lower dash).

http://www.millertech.com/specs/lcdp25lsmt-specs.PDF

Not something that I need all that often.  A display-in-a-review-mirror would be nice, but I cannot justify the expense (these appear to run about $250; when added to other things like gauges that I need to shell out for).

that looks hardwired,  Is hat a better option than wireless.  I hit my truck son many time backing up especially with the tailgate down!!!🤔

I don't like wireless as it's not real robust.  Also issues of providing a power source: with wired the power is running in/over the video cable; issues with snagging the cable (I've blitzed a couple on the front of my tractor), but I still prefer wired.  I recently installed a wired backup camera in my car, which was a LOT more work than it'll be in this truck: removing a bunch of interior trim, routing within the car vs with the truck it'll just route out along the frame.

BTW, off-topic - I'm starting to think about improvements to braking and I see that you went with the GM brake cylinders; how much improvement did that get you? (I'm aiming to improve for towing activities; I have a Pacbrake exhaust brake, which is a good thing).

Yes GMC 1 ton are nice upgrade for little money.  If you ever need rotors go to third generation rotors and pads, nearly 50 to 75% increase in barke surface, it take two new calapiror brackets, one each side,  same calipters work. 

I suggest making the effort to put in a Double Din Radio and then you have your back up screen at the same time.

Paul, is that possible in an early Gen2?  It only has a single DIN slot.  I'd thought about a flip-out screen but that'll end up covering the vents.  I currently don't use the truck enough to justify spending a lot on this: already has a reasonable enough, newer bluetooth capable stereo.

NOTE: I misspoke about the hot wire run for the camera.  One just needs to pull power from the reverse lights (cameras are really low power): on cars/trucks- on my tractor, however, I had to do a full run.

The edge insite CTS2 has gauges and it will work as a display for a backup camera. You can get it with programming or without.

Mark, that operates via ODBII, no?  No have on this old beast.

Looking for low cost...

Not finding anything round (not that that's a surprise), but am finding some pretty small footprint displays:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/910

On the edge of being too small.  The overhead cubby might end up being the more practical location (can go a bit bigger, which would be necessary because it would be farther away than would something at the pillar).

Have you looked into the type that replaces your rear view mirror? My 2012 Toyota Tacoma had a factory one, unless it was in reverse you couldn't tell it had a screen in it. Kept down on clutter and worked quite well.

• Like 1

Have you looked into the type that replaces your rear view mirror? My 2012 Toyota Tacoma had a factory one, unless it was in reverse you couldn't tell it had a screen in it. Kept down on clutter and worked quite well.
I have one of those in my 02.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Double Din won't be the cheap route.   But it can be done.

Have stumbled across cheaper rear view mirror solutions, though wireless, and since this is a low use function I'll reconsider.

• Like 1

I have installed several back up cameras over the years in many trucks. There are tons of options. I’ve done the screen mounted on the sun visor. It was wireless. I hated it. I had a screen that clamped on over my rear view mirror for years. I still have it somewhere. Your welcome to call t if you want it. I finally got tired of it because it didn’t make a very good rear view mirror but it work great for a camera monitor. I finally installed a double din stereo in my truck, mostly because I wanted navigation but it works great for the back up camera.

I have also installed a couple of single din stereos with flip out screens. Here is one I just did on a Ford.

bd49c5cad3fd722a0dc14fb625847e7d.jpg

27e440c75cab733c915c6ffcc7287305.jpg

I have installed the same stereo in a 2nd Gen Dodge also. I think it is the best option.

I always run wired cameras after my first experience with wireless cameras. However, I am going to try to add a second wireless camera to my slide in camper so I have a camera on the back of the camper without having to connect wires. I have all the hardware to do it. Just been really busy and haven’t gotten to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I converted my 04 to double din. It doesn’t help much for how to do it on a 2nd Gen but it can be done. Just takes a guy that isn’t afraid to cut the dash. LOL!

74a82598bd62f4f9779f7b6d5e5f33c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk