DieselBound

NV4500 shift tower swap to newer style

I "think" that I kind of ferreted it out but wanted to verify in a dedicated thread.

After having rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder I'm realizing that the shifting on my 94's NV4500 is a bit of a hassle (of course, 5th/OD being the big "reach").  Anyway...

I've read that the shift towers (and/with shifter) in 98.5 and up NV4500s bring the shift lever further over, that they're a direct, drop-in replacement for the older ones.  Is this correct?  [If so] How much work to swap the towers? (can do in-vehicle?)

Is the same shift lever used/retained?

Lastly, should I spend any time contemplating the Whiplash shifter (not quite sure what all it entails, just had picked it out from one thread)?  I don't think that a short shifter is desirable given that I just installed a DD3250 clutch.

Edited by DieselBound

You can always take a torch and heat the shifter up and bend it to where you want also

have to pull transmission to swap, the shifter and boots are different from what I recall they are a direct swap that’s easy with transmission out. You can pull the boots off then shifter has spring loaded twist lock thingy holding it in put in vise use torch and bend as you wish. 

I guess I missed the best opportunity to make any swap when the clutch was done.  Oh well...

Will keep in mind going the short way, bending the shift lever. (if only I had a torch...)