Ok so question is do I put money into my 47rh tranny to upgrade for towing or to I spend money and time to put in an NV4500?

Just moved from New Brunswick to Saskatchewan and total weight truck and tt was approx 16000lbs.

Hills were not my friend 4% grade would knock me down to 60kph and driving through a head wind was no fun either had to try and stay at 120kph just to maintain forward movement. 

I have always had sticks but I couldn't pass on this truck fir price and shape,it spend the most part of its life in Arizona. 

So is in great shape.

Any ideas on cost of upgrading a 47rh for towing, trailer is 33' and weighs 6000lbs dry.

Thanks for any info.

I am glad to be back in the west part of the country again and hopefully start being able to make it to some parties again.

Don’t remember the vintage of your truck or the rear end gear, but the NV4500 isn’t a good choice for towing remember 5th gear issue and towing makes that compounded , sure it works for a while but never know when the issue strikes. 

If you can swing the $$$ a G56 would be a much better choice 

also the ECM would have to be changed out to a manual tranny one . Don’t know but maybe the wire harness to ( but not sure about that part) 

next choice .. sell that truck and buy a manual tranny truck 

My 4500 must have been special, it never had the nut back off...now that dang C clip is another story.

7 hours ago, livingez_123 said:

My 4500 must have been special, it never had the nut back off...now that dang C clip is another story.

Seems the 12v had less trouble than 24v my 95 never lost the nut my 99 you couldn’t keep it on. 

My new to me truck is 95 dodge 2500 2wd club cab auto.

All of my other trucks were sticks and never had any issues with 5th gear but.2 off them had NV4500,one 5600 and two getrags.

So if I did a stick conversion I would have to change ecm too?

Thanks

yes and no, with that truck it is all mechanical so you can run it without any tranny outputs from the PCM. (no ECM on this truck)there will be a bit of wiring for the starter and reverse lights

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stroketeck said:

yes and no, with that truck it is all mechanical so you can run it without any tranny outputs from the PCM. (no ECM on this truck)there will be a bit of wiring for the starter and reverse lights

I was wondering about that Dave.

Thanks for corrections Dave 

Thanks for the reply's 

Now,question is is a tranny flush really neccessary?

I have heard that they can actually make tranny worse by pushing crap into areas or by pushing crap out of areas that might have been better off staying in there.

Against by better judgment I let a shop flush my transmission in a previous truck. Don’t do it

I'm Little confused are you looking at upgrading or fully rebuilt?  I think the best option is the latter.  Get it rebuilt and built for towing. Good quality parts and it will serve you well.

Well,I took it to a tranny shop here and they took it for a drive,with me in it.

The tranny guy said that it shifts at the required points and shifts smooth,kicks down.

He did check the fluid when we got back to the shop and said that the level was good,fluid didn't smell burnt,but should be changed,he said flushed.

Which was reason for question about flushing.

Eventually would either put a stick in or build tranny for towing. 

But right now just need it to last as we justed moved,so alittle tight for awhile.

Plus before we left New Brunswick i was diagnosed with cancer,so hopefully start treatment soon as we don't move into our new house until June 21st,so we are living in our travel trailer until then.

Thanks for all the info.

Edited by canadiancrawler

So I have the option to buy a 98 quad cab sb 12v 2wd 5spd.

But to do that I would need to sell my truck first.

Only issue is I don't/won't be able to list it as I won't be able to show it to people as I will be going in for cancer surgery July 11th and be laid up for awhile.

If anybody knows of any  body looking for for a clean stock 95 2wd clubcab auto that spent all of it's winters in Arizona. Let me know.

God be with you in surgery